Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do all video editors in Linux suck?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Do all video editors in Linux suck?

I have been trying to do some fairly basic video editing and basically every different editor I try either does not work, or crashes. I have tried Open video editor, Kino, Kdelive, Pitivi, Blender, and a few others I have deleted and cant remember.

Blender crashes when I click on open file. Pitivi, Kdelive, (and a few others) crash when you are in the middle of your project. Open Video editor won't let you see what you are doing, make some edits and click play to see how they look and it doesn't do anything. Kino had problems, but I can't remember what now.

My machine is stable, I do everything else (non-video editing) w/o any problems. This is really frustrating, I could boot into Windows XP and do it from there, but I like Ubuntu, and hate to feel like I need to go to XP/Windows.

Beans

Re: Do all video editors in Linux suck?

There is a good video editor called "Cinelerra ( http://cinelerra.org/ )" which works fine, and has very advanced stuffs.

Beans
    Hidden!

All those crashes, that sounds like you don't have enough memory or that the driver of your graphical card is poor. I never had problems with pitivi or KDElive, in any case not crashes, I didn't try others.

Beans

I've had Kdenlive crash before, but not nearly every time I use it or anything. Is it always when you try to do the same thing or just randomly?

Beans

Openshot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Seems to be something else than the editors themselve. (as mentioned by a previous post).
    Do you have the required codecs installed (see info here)?
    I work for years with blender. It is OK.
    AMD64X2 3800+ 3GB Ram: 11.10
    ACER one T1810 : 11.10 64 bit

Beans
    Distro

I don't think the computer is the problem. Athlon 64 3200+ w/2 GB memory. That isn't real fast, but should be fast enough. I have a Nvidia 7600GS videocard w/256 MB mem and the proper drivers.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BlouBlou View Post
    There is a good video editor called "Cinelerra ( http://cinelerra.org/ )" which works fine, and has very advanced stuffs.
    I tried that, look at this screen capt. Why is my preview (upper right) narrow like that, it is a 4x3 video. Also there is no sound when playing the preview window.

Beans
    Distro

AARGH!

I tried Avidemux and it did the same thing. The screen shot shows it being played and looking normal on the left and then being shown in the editor about 1/2 as wide as it should be.

This is %#^@'n ridiculous.

Brad

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

where are you importing from, what is the file format and original aspect ratio?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast