Thread: Host drive not seen by ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Question Host drive not seen by ubuntu

Hello, I installed Natty as a windows application in one of my two HDs.

Now, when I go Places and Computer, it shows only the second HD and the ubuntu File system (or something like that) which is the virtual loop partition where Natty was installed on my first HD. But the remaining windows partition on the same disk is not seen.

However, I can see this HD named Host by the system manager and am able to surf it there.

Is there any way to make it visible in Places or Computer?

Thank you.
    Last edited by r2d211; May 29th, 2011 at 01:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Host drive not seen by ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by r2d211 View Post
    Hello, I installed Natty as a windows application in one of my two HDs.

Now, when I go Places and Computer, it shows only the second HD and the ubuntu File system (or something like that) which is the virtual loop partition where Natty was installed on my first HD. But the remaining windows partition on the same disk is not seen.

However, I can see this HD named Host by the system manager and am able to surf it there.

Is there any way to make it visible in Places or Computer?

Thank you.
    HI, I have not used wubi but you should see it in the files manager, if not open disk utility and see if it is there if so see if it will let you mount it.

Beans
    Distro

No, the files manager doesn't show it but only the System Manager where I am even able to surf it (in Sys. Man. is called Host).

And how to mount it or transfer ot from SysMan to FileMan? I tried by dragging but at no avail.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

No, the files manager doesn't show it but only the System Manager where I am even able to surf it (in Sys. Man. is called Host).

And how to mount it or transfer ot from SysMan to FileMan? I tried by dragging but at no avail.
    Hi this is all the information I have on wubi installs.
    http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?...ch&lang=en#911
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1639198
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide#Ho...dows%20drives?
    did you open disk utility and see if it is in there?if so you can mount it from the utility.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

You've discovered how to find the "host" folder. Simply open it and then (from the nautilus menu) Bookmarks > Add Bookmark. It will now appear in the left Places pane of a nautilus window. If you don't like the name "host", simply right-click on it and rename it.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro

Kitty, I think this is the best solution so far (for a wubi installation). Yes, I will bookmark it and have it at hand. Tomorrow morning I'll try your idea and then I think I can mark the thread as Solved.

Thank you all!

Beans
    Distro

On mine, it's Places, Computer, File System, Host, Users to access your files from Windows. That's with a Wubi install of 11.04 and win 7. I use Copy and Paste to transfer files. It's worked so far.
    Last edited by athenroy; May 30th, 2011 at 01:39 AM. Reason: More Info.
    Athenroy,
    Classic Desktop User - Screenshot
    Linux Registered User #534875

Beans
    Distro

Maybe yours is a double install with wubi, not an install inside windows. What can I say?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Kitty
    That's the first time I've been called that, but I think I like it.

Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro

Kitty, Athenroy, Wildy, thank you so much for your help. The trick with the bookmark worked perfectly.

Have a blessed day!