Thread: Ubuntu not working

Beans

Question Ubuntu not working

Hi,

I"ve got HP mini 110 netbook. Had installed ubuntu 11.04 previously.
    But now, when i switch it on, i get the message

error: file not found
    grub rescue>

even if i type in any command at grub rescue>, i get unknown command.

If i try reinstalling it through USB, it gets hanged at the splash screen. I have not installed any other OS on my netbook.

please help if anyone has encountered this situation / has got a solution.

Thanks in advance,
    Prakhyat

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Ubuntu not working

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear that you are having problems with your HP Mini. Was 11.04 working OK before you encountered this grub problem? I have a HP Mini 110 netbook and Ubuntu 11.04 works very well on it, so I am hopeful we can resolve your problem.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by, "If i try reinstalling it through USB, it gets hanged at the splash screen" Do you mean that the live USB session hangs at the splash screen or that you were able to re-install Ubuntu, but that the new installation hangs?

If you are able to run the live USB session, boot up with it and go to this site:

http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/

Follow the instructions there to download and run the boot info script, and then post the contents of the RESULTS.txt file. This contains information about your system and partitions and will help to see what might be wrong.

Please remember to post the output between [CODE] and [/CODE] tags for readability. You can use the # icon in the toolbar above the message field for this.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.