Thread: dlna/upnp server with auto images?

Beans

dlna/upnp server with auto images?

ok, so last night I discovered Plex for linux and its awesome. It even has a great android app. It does a great job automatically organizing all my movie and tv show files. I was though quite disappointed when i found out it didnt have upnp support anymore and therefore would not stream things to my WD TV Live, etc.

I know how to easily setup a dlna server using minidlna or ushare, but neither would automatically refresh my file listings (if you tried a cron, it would interrupt the current stream and of course I would prefer as close to real time updates as possible). It also of course didnt provide any automatic naming/organizing/images of the videos that Plex would do.

Any recommendations on what might be available out there that would provide all the features I mentioned above, but would provide the data in a more standard format like upnp/dlna instead of the proprietary format that Plex offers? I am also open to ideas that would get Plex to work with the WDTV Live.

Thanks!

Beans

Re: dlna/upnp server with auto images?

I have exactly the same question, including the WD Live TV.

In my case I'm using mediatomb, but the "virtual layout" it uses seems to somehow skip things sometimes, and if disable that I'm left with "PC Directory" which would be great for me, but is not so good for making the spouse sift through metadata files to get to the movie files.

Plex f'ing rocks -- it does what I thought media tomb would do with metadata for one thing, and is dead simple to set up. It solved the problem of getting media to my wife's IOS device without jailbreaking or having to pre-transcode everything. (I know that Mediatomb will transcode as well, but since the WDLTV reads accepts so many formats than IOS it seemed like needless complexity to me -- Plex transcodes specifically because it knows what ios will and won't support which is nice, while letting my laptop and WDLTV read the files in their original format.) If it had UPNP support it would be perfect.

Beans

Re: dlna/upnp server with auto images?

can you help with a tutorial how to set up plex on ubuntu