Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Partition Manager: Unable to resize linux partition to use free space BEFORE partitio

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Partition Manager: Unable to resize linux partition to use free space BEFORE part

desktop pc is 'applying pending operations' as we speak and moving the partitions. Thanks to all of you for your help.

Hope it all goes ok.....

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Partition Manager: Unable to resize linux partition to use free space BEFORE part

Quote Originally Posted by iclestu View Post
    In the meantime........
    sounds like a really handy thing to have lying around! | DONE!
    Iclestu,
    You have demonstrated much courage in the face of critical suggestions.

Installed the Parted-Magic subdir in my XP C:/pmagic, and pointed my grub/grub.cfg to it.
    . . . boots just like Verneer said it would.
    Installed the Parted-Magic subdir in a simple (hd0,sd0) base directory controlled by grub4dos ..
    . . . boots just like Verneer said it would.
    Has been a good utility.
    缀皵榒敯鹤__Glene77is__缀皵榒敯鹤 _{^,^}_

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

desktop pc is 'applying pending operations' as we speak and moving the partitions. Thanks to all of you for your help.

Hope it all goes ok.....
    Thanks for marking this thread [solved].
    Please return to the forum as a valued contributor.
    缀皵榒敯鹤__Glene77is__缀皵榒敯鹤 _{^,^}_

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hope it all goes ok.....
    Please let us know how it went, and what you used in the end to do the task.

Beans

My apologies. I hope I have not caused offense.
    No apologies are necessary and no offense was taken. Miscommunication can and does occur, and as such things go this wasn't a huge one.

Job: Set geometry of partition ‘/dev/sda4’: Start sector: 351,775,305, length: 255,433,500 Could not set geometry for partition ‘/dev/sda4’ while trying to resize/move it.
    This sounds like a bug in the program's handling of CHS addresses vs. LBA addresses. If you don't know what that means, it's the ancient and (today) useless mode of identifying sectors vs. the newer mode. Both modes are built into MBR partition tables, but CHS mode is useless today because it tops out at a bit under 8 GiB. Nonetheless, both need to be computed.

Another possibility is that it's an issue related to partition alignment -- on "cylinder" boundaries (obsolete and useless today) vs. on 1 MiB boundaries (which optimizes performance for some modern disks). These two possibilities could actually be related -- if the program requires that partitions start and end on cylinder boundaries, it might not like existing partitions that don't do so, and might issue an error like the one you've quoted.

Either way, it's a bug that's deeper than the user interface. It might be possible to work around it by leaving a small gap between your partitions -- but as you've moved on to GParted, I guess you won't be testing that.

Seems there are two unrelated things at work as Gparted shows an error with the Windows partition. See attached. in retrospect, i notice that neither utility showed the free space in this partition..... I am guessing this is what is causing the above error and that the gui bug is unrelated?
    No, the Windows partition (/dev/sda2) problem is unrelated to the error in adjusting /dev/sda4 -- the two are on different partitions and can't be related.

Yes, the GUI bug is unrelated to either of these other issues.

In sum, you've found two distinct bugs in the program and an unrelated bit of data corruption on one partition.

I boot into windows (groaaannnn - i KNOW how many updates its waiting on, been a while!) and do a couple of chkdsk's as suggested by Gparted then see if I can change it?
    Running CHKDSK from Windows is the only way I know of to fix problems on NTFS. Linux has no good NTFS maintenance tools. (There is one called ntfsfix, but it just does a few very simple tests and then flags the filesystem as requiring further checks under Windows.)
    If I've suggested a solution to a problem and you're not the original poster, do not try my solution! Problems can seem similar but be different, and a good solution to one problem can make another worse. Post a new thread with your problem details.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post

No, the Windows partition (/dev/sda2) problem is unrelated to the error in adjusting /dev/sda4 -- the two are on different partitions and can't be related.
    No?? DOH!

Lol - i just assumed that this was THE problem. I ran chkdsk to fix it as suggested but thought that, as it was solved anyways I'd try out that livecd Irihapeti suggested..... LOL - after all my grand posturing I used Gparted to get around the issue after all!! In my defence thats NOT what I thought I was doing. I thought I had identified only that Gparted gave a more meaningful error message and just kinda assumed that now I fixed it with chkdsk that either utility would do it and wanted to play with my new toy (that livecd). It sounds so pathetic now as I type.....

Somebody open a window my 'moral high horse' needs to learn to fly.....

Lol - nevermind. At least I put in a bug report for that gui thing....

Code:
    fdisk -l
    (after reorganising) gives

Code:
    Disk /dev/sda: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x93c7cf00

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1   *           1          13      102400    7  HPFS/NTFS
    Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
    /dev/sda2              13       19880   159581152+   7  HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda3           37798       38914     8964096    7  HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda4           19880       37798   143921152    5  Extended
    /dev/sda5           19880       37210   139199488   83  Linux
    /dev/sda6           37210       37798     4719616   82  Linux swap / Solaris

Partition table entries are not in disk order
    which seems to support your cylinder boundaries hypothesis...

No sense trying to fix that now as everything works ok though (right?)....
    Last edited by iclestu; June 2nd, 2011 at 09:15 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

From the output of fdisk, It looks as though you've succeeded in doing what you set out to do. Good one.

As for the cylinder boundary thing, I'd leave it alone if everything is working.

Yes, the liveCD is a very useful thing to have handy. It's got all sorts of other recovery programs that can get one out of a mess. It's saved my bacon a time or two.

Beans

Code:
    Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
    which seems to support your cylinder boundaries hypothesis...

No sense trying to fix that now as everything works ok though (right?)....
    Correct. No modern OS cares about cylinder boundaries any more. Linux's fdisk just complains about it out of habit, I think, or perhaps to alert people who do still run ancient OSs that might not like that sort of setup.
    If I've suggested a solution to a problem and you're not the original poster, do not try my solution! Problems can seem similar but be different, and a good solution to one problem can make another worse. Post a new thread with your problem details.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234