Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Partition Manager: Unable to resize linux partition to use free space BEFORE partitio

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Partition Manager: Unable to resize linux partition to use free space BEFORE partitio

Hey guys.

I have around 30gb of free space in my partition table immediately before the Linux partition. I want to resize my linux partition to take up this space.

I tried booting with live cd, sucessfully umounted the hard drive but found I could not resize the partition. On clicking the 'edit size' button, partition manager recognised the free space before the partition but when i reduced this, the 'ok' button was greyed out. (it was not greyed out for the windows partition so I could, in theory, increase the windows partition to take up the free space but this is not what i wanted to do).

I am pretty sure that I had managed to unmount the drive correctly as the padlock symbol had dissapeared (I took the attached screenshot, which does show the lock symbol, after rebooting into my normal system).

Anyone got any ideas as to why it wont allow this? There is no reason why i can resize the partition to take up the free space BEFORE it is there?

Would be grateful for any advice or suggestions....

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Partition Manager: Unable to resize linux partition to use free space BEFORE part

Resizing a partition always carries a certain amount of risk, but usually changing the right-hand end is fairly safe.

Not so with the other end. I understand that trying to move the beginning of a partition is very risky. I know that I managed to mess up one partition that way (fortunately with nothing important on it). It's a while since I did that and I don't remember exactly how I did it.

Probably a safer way is to backup whatever is on the partition - a good security move anyway - and then delete it and create a new one. Then you can restore the data.

Of course, if your Linux partition is inside an extended partition, and Windows isn't, then you'd have to change the extended partition as well. That could get complicated if you have more than just the Linux partition and a swap.
    Please, people, remember to BACKUP before you install that new system. Same if you're upgrading.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Partition Manager: Unable to resize linux partition to use free space BEFORE part

Quote Originally Posted by iclestu View Post
    Hey guys.

I have around 30gb of free space in my partition table immediately before the Linux partition. I want to resize my linux partition to take up this space.

I tried booting with live cd, sucessfully umounted the hard drive but found I could not resize the partition. On clicking the 'edit size' button, partition manager recognised the free space before the partition but when i reduced this, the 'ok' button was greyed out. (it was not greyed out for the windows partition so I could, in theory, increase the windows partition to take up the free space but this is not what i wanted to do).

I am pretty sure that I had managed to unmount the drive correctly as the padlock symbol had dissapeared (I took the attached screenshot, which does show the lock symbol, after rebooting into my normal system).

Anyone got any ideas as to why it wont allow this? There is no reason why i can resize the partition to take up the free space BEFORE it is there?

Would be grateful for any advice or suggestions....
    HI, I found this great thread that will help. If the free space is in the wrong place you have to move your partition before you can resize it, but this leads to reinstalling the grub. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1219270

Beans
    Distro

thanks guys.

Still not entirely sure why it wont resize but maybe im persueded not to b other for time being..

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by Irihapeti View Post
    Of course, if your Linux partition is inside an extended partition, and Windows isn't, then you'd have to change the extended partition as well. That could get complicated if you have more than just the Linux partition and a swap.
    This is probably what it could be. The extended partition is the partition that was automatically created to contain the logical partitions.

If their was a 30gb logical partition that got removed previously, then I am sure that there is still an extended partition containing 30gb space that needs to be resized first, before you can resize the partition you want to resize.

If the partition you want to resize IS a logical partition, then you might need to resize its own extended partition first, otherwise the logical partition you want to resize might already be at its own maximum size due to the size of it's own extended partition.

Whatever you need to do, make sure you do all of your necessary backups first.

If you look at this screenshot, you can see a light blue colored box surrounding the logical partitions. That would be the extended partition.
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/larry...size-4.1-b.gif

Here is more info on how to resize partitions using gparted:
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/larry...e/resizing.htm
    (section 3 talks about resizing an extended partition)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ankspo71 View Post
    This is probably what it could be. The extended partition is the partition that was automatically created to contain the logical partitions.

If their was a 30gb logical partition that got removed previously, then I am sure that there is still an extended partition containing 30gb space that needs to be resized first, before you can resize the partition you want to resize.

If the partition you want to resize IS a logical partition, then you might need to resize its own extended partition first, otherwise the logical partition you want to resize might already be at its own maximum size due to the size of it's own extended partition.

Whatever you need to do, make sure you do all of your necessary backups first.

If you look at this screenshot, you can see a light blue colored box surrounding the logical partitions. That would be the extended partition.
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/larry...size-4.1-b.gif

Here is more info on how to resize partitions using gparted:
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/larry...e/resizing.htm
    (section 3 talks about resizing an extended partition)
    Thanks for your help on this.

I'm pretty sure that the extended partition was full and that the empty space is outside it. I was expecting to be able to change the size of the extended partition using partition manager.... Im away from my desktop pc just now but will be sure to check when I return home.

Thanks again

Beans
    Distro

yeah - as i remembered.

The extended partition is full but I had hoped to be able to increase the size of the extended partition to take up the free space. I can then increase the logical partition accordingly?

Screen shot of partition manager is attached. 1st pic shows main view. 2nd and 3rd shows greying out of 'ok' button when trying to resize the extended partition. It looks like it SHOULD be an option and i dont know why it wont allow it?

Interestingly (well, maybe ) it would appear to allow me to extend the windows partition (sda2), tho as i mentioned above that was not what i had wanted....

Suppose I got plenty space on there anyways so its no biggie but it is a bit irritating.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

First, that doesn't look like GParted, which is what most people use for this task. OTOH, perhaps it is, but just using a theme that makes it look different. If it's not GParted, though, and if the below suggestion doesn't help, you might try using GParted rather than whatever it is you're using.

Second, I notice that in your second and third screen shots, although you've changed the "Free space before" field, the "Size" field hasn't changed. This can sometimes happen if, as it appears you did, you change one field by typing its entry and don't click in another field. Clicking in another field registers your change and usually causes the program to recompute anything it needs to recompute. Thus, I suggest you do that. Alternatively, try using the graphic at the top of the dialog box to resize the extended partition. You can do this in GParted; when you move your mouse over the left end, the pointer should change to an arrow to indicate that you can click and drag to resize the partition.
    If I've suggested a solution to a problem and you're not the original poster, do not try my solution! Problems can seem similar but be different, and a good solution to one problem can make another worse. Post a new thread with your problem details.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    ......that doesn't look like GParted, .....
    No, its partition manager. Hence the name of my post and the tags in the thread. No doubt you are correct about GParted being the prefered option of the majority of users but then Gnome is the prefered desktop environment of most users. I use KDE and therefore I am trying to alter my partition with KDE's tool which is, I am sure, up to the job. I dont think it is the tool that is the issue here....

Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    Second, I notice that in your second and third screen shots, although you've changed the "Free space before" field, the "Size" field hasn't changed. This can sometimes happen if, as it appears you did, you change one field by typing its entry and don't click in another field. Clicking in another field registers your change and usually causes the program to recompute anything it needs to recompute. Thus, I suggest you do that. Alternatively, try using the graphic at the top of the dialog box to resize the extended partition. You can do this in GParted; when you move your mouse over the left end, the pointer should change to an arrow to indicate that you can click and drag to resize the partition.
    This isnt it.... It is greyed out no matter where i click.

Thanks for taking the time to response and for trying to help but Im afraid this isn't the issue.

Beans
    Hidden!

you first have to shrink the primary partition

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast