Thread: Hello, everybody. I just installed Debian , and .......

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Hello, everybody. I just installed Debian , and .......

I wanted to say hello. I am a long-time Ubuntu user and member of this forum, but the latest ver (11.04) has made me stray .. I installed Debian Squeeze today. As my one and only distro/partition.

Any tips or dos and don't from here ? The install went well, I solved a couple of little things already, but I have one biggie that someone here might help me with.

I made my full data backup on a flashdrive, while I still had Ubuntu. Now Debian says it can't read it. "bad superblock" it says. I looked at dmesg and it said "no VRS found". I ran Disk Utility, that says the flashdrive is OK. I took the flashdrive to my daughter's PC, which has Windows on it, the flashdrive and all the data on it was recognized OK. So I think the problem is Debian assumes my flashdrives are formatted with ext 2 or ext 3, when this flashdrive is formatted with FAT32. Am I right ? I think Ubuntu is flexible in this and will mount it.

What do I tell Debian so it will mount this FAT32 flashdrive ?
    It loads OK on a Windows pc, so its not corrupted.
    I will appreciate any help or suggestions.
    Eddie Colon
    Raleigh,NC

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Hello, everybody. I just installed Debian , and .......

If you can read the data on your Windows machine why not just copy the data across - reformat the drive and try again?

Doesn't actually explain what has happened but will verify your data is safe...

Beans

Re: Hello, everybody. I just installed Debian , and .......

This post might help.
    http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=60190

From the thread on the Debian forums, it appears that a USB device will not auto-mount if there is already an entry for the device identifier in fstab. The solution is to comment out (or delete) the fstab entry for the device.

Cheers

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Debian forums is usually a good place to look. Unable to mount new Volume

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by wojox View Post
    Debian forums is usually a good place to look. Unable to mount new Volume
    Thank you, WOJOX. I just joined the official user mailing list, and I will also join at this link you gave me. I read it, understood that I have to edit out a certain line in FSTAB. I'm gonna try tonight, after dinner.

Thanks
    Eddie Colon
    Raleigh,NC

Beans
    Distro

Thank you Phil. I know my data is safe. I copied it all from the flashdrive to a SD card, but Debian wouldn't read that either. The copy process flew by without problems reading or writing.

I think I found my solution. Read below.
    Eddie Colon
    Raleigh,NC

Beans
    Distro

Thank you Satan, I got the answer from a Debian user forum. Since I did my install from a usb flashdrive, there is a line in FSTAB that is causing this problem. I will edit out the line, that should do it.
    Eddie Colon
    Raleigh,NC

Beans

Thanks so much for posting your solution! I just did the same thing on a Debian Squeeze install from a USB drive. The fstab entry had /dev/sdb1 listed as a cdrom drive for the install. I would think the post-install scripts would take care of this but apprently not. Anyway, kudos.
    Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect.

--- Linus Torvalds