Thread: Ubuntu: Live CD & Install CD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Ubuntu: Live CD & Install CD

Hi, I'd like to see the Ubuntu Team make two releases of future distros, not just one, a Live CD (that's the one released now) but also an Install CD (not a Live CD), so that the user has the choice of what programs should be installed, this would enable people to make more choices, this is only a suggestion and my opinion, it's just another way to allow people to make their own decisions, it would help a fair few people as well like system administrators, who install on many computers.

I think Windows 95 use to do it,

Something like this I think would be fantastic on the Ubuntu "Install CD"
    • Full Install (like the "Live CD")
    • Minimal Install (gnome + firefox)
    • Custom Install (user chooses what to install)

Thank You.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ubuntu: Live CD & Install CD

They already have that. The main CD, the alternate, and the minimal.

Beans

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

After you install the minimal CD, run the commands
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install xorg xterm gdm icewm menu gksu synaptic --no-install-recommends
    sudo service gdm start
    Then run
    Code:
    gksu synaptic
    and install whatever you want.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hey aysiu! I'm at the command line right now from a fresh minimal install, this is what I see:

Ubuntu 11.04 mrt tty1
    mrt login: _

If I type the commands you listed, will that be pretty much the essentials, and still minimal? And then if I get gnome through synaptec, will ubuntu cause it to download the bloated ubuntu-desktop version or will it be regular up-to-date gnome? Because bhodi.zazen, another forum admin, was trying to explain how to get gnome without the -dekstop because that pulled in ubuntu bloat or something.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

When I first saw this thread, it reminded me of the very first (Breezy) Ubuntu cd's I received in the mail. It was a 2 cd set. One was for live cd and the other was an install cd
    (Was)Windows Free At Last
    "May You Have A Safe Trip and A Successful Journey"
    Linux user #432153 Ubuntu user #8521

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by .psd View Post
    Hey aysiu! I'm at the command line right now from a fresh minimal install, this is what I see:

Ubuntu 11.04 mrt tty1
    mrt login: _

If I type the commands you listed, will that be pretty much the essentials, and still minimal? And then if I get gnome through synaptec, will ubuntu cause it to download the bloated ubuntu-desktop version or will it be regular up-to-date gnome? Because bhodi.zazen, another forum admin, was trying to explain how to get gnome without the -dekstop because that pulled in ubuntu bloat or something.
    Yes, the command I gave you gives you the very bare essentials to have a graphical interface and an easy graphical way to install more packages.

If you want the bare essentials of Gnome, install gnome-core instead of ubuntu-desktop.