Thread: Vegastrike sound issue.

Beans

Question Vegastrike sound issue.

Alright, so I recently got Vegastrike working after some toils with XTERM not loading.

Now I purposefully changed the resolution too high so that the game would error out so that I could show you the sound bug.

I do know that if I lower my resolution it will function, but I get no sound, no music, not even system beeps.

I believe it's tied to one line of code, but being a total newb in linux I haven't figured out what I need to do to fix it.

See http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html for license details.

Code:
    GOT SUBDIR ARG = 
    Found data in ..
    Using /home/jarod/Downloads/vegastrike-0.5.0 as data directory
    Using .vegastrike-0.5.0 as the home directory
    Found MODDIR = /home/jarod/Downloads/vegastrike-0.5.0/mods
    USING HOMEDIR : /home/jarod/.vegastrike-0.5.0 As the home directory 
    CONFIGFILE - Found a config file in home directory, using : /home/jarod/.vegastrike-0.5.0/vegastrike.config
    DATADIR - No datadir specified in config file, using ; /home/jarod/Downloads/vegastrike-0.5.0
    SIMULATION_ATOM: 0.05
    MISSION_NAME is empty using : main_menu.mission
    Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
    Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
    Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
    'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
    running import sys
    print sys.path
    sys.path = [r"/home/jarod/Downloads/vegastrike-0.5.0/modules/builtin",r"/home/jarod/Downloads/vegastrike-0.5.0/modules",r"/home/jarod/Downloads/vegastrike-0.5.0/bases"]
    ['/usr/local/lib/python24.zip', '/usr/local/lib/python2.4/', '/usr/local/lib/python2.4/plat-linux2', '/usr/local/lib/python2.4/lib-tk', '/usr/local/lib/lib-dynload']
    testing VS randomrunning import sys
    print sys.path
    ['/home/jarod/Downloads/vegastrike-0.5.0/modules/builtin', '/home/jarod/Downloads/vegastrike-0.5.0/modules', '/home/jarod/Downloads/vegastrike-0.5.0/bases']
    open /dev/[sound/]dsp: No such file or directory
    open /dev/[sound/]dsp: No such file or directory
    X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
      Major opcode of failed request:  129 (XFree86-VidModeExtension)
      Minor opcode of failed request:  10 (XF86VidModeSwitchToMode)
      Value in failed request:  0x15a
      Serial number of failed request:  122
      Current serial number in output stream:  124
    Bolded part above isn't finding sound. But in Ubuntu desktop and other games I've downloaded I do have sound, full use of it.

I found somewhere that it was saying I had the wrong sound card when I have a realtek on my motherboard and it asked me to edit a file in the root directory, which I did, however it doesn't seem to help the issue.

I'm totally stumped as to what the hell I need to do to get sound. Game looks amazing, but with no sound it's sorta worthless right at the moment.

Any help would be appreciated.

Beans

Re: Vegastrike sound issue.

Nobody? Not one of you has any idea what the issue is with my sound card?

Beans

not sure if this is against the rules, but BUMP, someone throw me a bone?

Beans

Hi there. I know this thread is very old and I may not be the best person to help you but here goes.

Vegastrike seems to be looking for your sound device in the wrong dir. (see below.) I suspect the line should read something like open /dev/snd/ .

Try looking at the config files for Vegastrike and find a line that says /dev/[sound/] or similiar and change that to /dev/snd.

I just started wrestling with my own Vegastrike sound problems so would appreciate it of you let me know if you've found a solution.

Good hunting.
    Die Eier

open /dev/[sound/]dsp: No such file or directory open /dev/[sound/]dsp: No such file or directory

Beans

try installing alsa-oss
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install alsa-oss
    then run vegastrike like this:
    Code:
    aoss vegastrike