Thread: x wont start up

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

x wont start up

after i upgraded to natty unity was very sloppy and frequently crashed. so i switched to kde. now i always update using my local mirror. but after 20 days without any update i suspected that my local mirror is not in sync with master mirror. because i saw numarous updates were listed in ubuntuupdates.org. so i switched to the master mirror and found about 2 gigs of update is pending. so it may be the case that when i updated to natty i wasnt in sync with all the packages because of the local mirror disfunction. however as i started upgrading at little chunks as i do not get a lot of speed when i update using master mirror. it was going well. yesterday i updated my development stuff like gcc, llvm, haskell etc. next i update kde stuffz. next i updated glibc. after upgrading glibc upon reboot it stuck after showing splash. it prints a msg like System V runlevel. nothing shows up. i switched to virtual console and saw xserver is probably running. i started gdm/kdm from console but it does not recognize my mouse or keyboard. so i have no option other then logging in from my laptop using ssh. if i run recovery console and try to run failsafe login it complains that my monitor ,mouse and keyboard is not configured. then first i reconfigured xorg. with no luck i then updated all xserver related packages. again with no luck. i try to find something in kdm log , gdm log and xorg log. the exact things i cant paste here right now because i'm typing from office. but kdm log reports about a memory leak(double free). xorg log reports a (EE) saying frame buffer (fbcon) is in trouble. my gdm log(i tried this with both gdm and kdm) also posts some (EE) which i do not remember right now. i will update it later.

my video card is intel, i have tried erlier kernel version without any luck, no broken packages are listed

thats all i guess. please help me, this worksation is like a girlfriend to me because i went through lot of pain to set up all the development environments.

thanks in advance
    its FREEDOM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: x wont start up

I would try finishing your updates from terminal

Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: x wont start up

full update is going on now, it was running for all the night

and the funny part is our government is thinking of exporting unused bandwidth

sorry for the off topic, but i could not resist
    its FREEDOM