Page 72 of 235 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122172 ... LastLast

Thread: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in one click

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Arrow Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

3.197~ppa17 update:
    i suspect that the fact that some BIOS still boot the Windows efi file (not grubx64.efi) after installing grub-efi is due to the fact that grub-efi is installed from a Legacy session. So i made the following change in the PPA:
    - when B-R reinstalls grub-efi from a UEFI session, the "Backup and rename EFI files" option will be deactivated by default
    - when B-R reinstalls grub-efi from a Legacy session, it will display a warning saying "Your BIOS is in Legacy mode. You may want to retry after changing it to EFI mode. DO you want to continue?", and by default the "Backup and rename EFI files" option will be activated (except if some .bkp files are detected, as described few posts ago).

Please warn me if some UEFI computers still boot directly Windows (without showing GRUB) after running the Recommended Repair.

Beans

Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

Thanks for the replies regarding Boot Info Script testing. I got detained with some totally unrelated projects yesterday (thawing stock tanks due to a power outage, and later a follow-up on an SRU for 12.04.2) so I've not even gotten around to testing those Lubuntu images yet

As I said I have only old BIOS hardware to test on, and I should mention this bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...2/+bug/1065801

Beyond that the newest 'grub-pc' displays long and somewhat nonsensical titles in a multi-boot, but I guess you're all aware of that

Beans

Wow, as I said I've been out of the loop for quite a while

When I last used the BIS the text began with something like:

Code:
    #to use this script:
    #
    #     sudo bash boot_info_script054.sh
    #or
    #     su -
    #     bash boot_info_script054.sh
    Now I'm totally lost

Is this even the new version:

bootinfoscript.tar.gz

I feel that I'm now so far out of the loop that my testing would be pointless, OTOH I'd like to know how to produce a BIS output

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hi
    Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    OTOH I'd like to know how to produce a BIS output
    First extract your bootinfoscript.tar.gz file in your User Folder, then open a terminal and type: sudo bash bootinfoscript

Or run Boot-Repair --> click the "Create BootInfo summary" button (the last Boot-Repair contains the last BIS features)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Bug report / wishlist:

By mistake I happened to run Boot-Repair on a computer without hard drive. To my surprise none of the dialogue boxes informed me about this, in fact everything appeared normal, and at the end of the process I was greeted by the message 'Boot successfully repaired. You can now reboot your computer'.

Suggestion: Would it be possible to warn the user that no hard drive was found? I know that it is mentioned in Boot Info Script, but having a message on screen will give a better usability.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@mörgæs: what was the resulting URL please? (at least it should have warned that "No OS was found")

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by YannBuntu View Post
    Hi

First extract your bootinfoscript.tar.gz file in your User Folder, then open a terminal and type: sudo bash bootinfoscript

Or run Boot-Repair --> click the "Create BootInfo summary" button (the last Boot-Repair contains the last BIS features)
    Cool, thanks for the info. After being out of the loop so long I need to relearn things

Beans

I opened a new thread about the new grub long entries and lack of device designations:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...7#post12439587

No rush looking at it, just thought I should start picking some brains

Beans

Hello,

I've also opened a new thread regarding incorrect Windows 8 entries in Grub, hope you guys can help me out: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2101795

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quick remark:
    Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Boot-Repair - Updated Jan 1, 2013 to not rename first time, but rename if first time Windows does not boot. Post 706
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...769482&page=71
    Indeed, it's the contrary: B-R will rename (create .bkp) the 1st time. The 2nd time, it will detect the bkp file and restore it to its original location.

In the current PPA version, the above is true only IF B-R IS USED FROM A LEGACY SESSION (because in this case there is no way to update the UEFI boot order). If B-R is used in a UEFI session, it will never create bkp by default.

Page 72 of 235 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122172 ... LastLast