Page 88 of 235 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098138188 ... LastLast

Thread: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in one click

Beans

Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

Hi,

I have had this problem before where I boot and I get the message
    error no such device ...
    and
    grub rescue

The issue that time was that my / partition was over 100gb, this was solved by shrinking my partition.

I have tried to recover it again with the boot-repair tool and various other methods.
    As such there is the boot-repair output at the link http://paste.ubuntu.com/5606310/

Could someone please help me with this.

Thank you very much for your time and effort,

Ross.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

rosswin

If your BIOS is limited (to 128GB) then you need to create a separate boot partition within this range. e.g. shift /dev/sdb5 to the right to free up a couple hundred MB that can serve as the boot partition. Right now your core grub files are over the limit.

Here's a guide: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Cr...onAfterInstall

Beans

I really liked this tool. Although i have never use this tool, but it seem to be very good after knowing its functionality. Great information. Thanks for sharing. I think its an awesome tool for it-Support. IT Support Austin

Beans

I made somewhat of a mess with my situation by installing ubuntu more than once. Here is the situation.
    I have a Toshiba laptop (satellite L355D) with a 64 bit processor but came factory with Vista 32 bit.

I installed ubuntu (not sure which original version) alongside Vista and successfully dual booted for a few years.
    I have a windows partition, a linux partition, and a third partition to allow easy sharing of files between linux and windows.
    Recently I upgraded to Windows 8. After installing windows 8, over the windows partition, windows 8 booted with no problems. However, I was not able to boot into the pre-existing Ubuntu.
    My intention was to "fix" this situation at a later point by installing Ubuntu as this has worked in the past.
    I installed Ubuntu 12.04 32bit. Ubuntu 12.04 32bit installed successfully and booted, however, I was no longer able to boot into Windows 8.
    After some looking into the situation I decided to try to install Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit and Linux-secure-remix Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit flavor.
    After which I still was not able to boot into Windows 8.
    I tried to use the boot repair via recommended settings and was not successful in solving the problem.
    I also tried to change the active partition via the Windows 8 dvd's recovery options. After doing this I lost the ability to boot either Windows or Ubuntu. I changed the active partition back to where I believe it should be and still receive the grub rescue> prompt.

I have been using Linux (mostly Ubuntu) for years but am only a light user.
    Any help would be appreciated:
    I have two repair boot urls:
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/5609510
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/5609631

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

RubeOne,

you've installed grub over your windows boot sector. This prevents Windows from booting. You'll need to fix it; see instructions here.

Code:
    sda1: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       ntfs
        Boot sector type:  Grub2 (v1.99-2.00)
        Boot sector info:  Grub2 (v1.99) is installed in the boot sector of sda1 
                           and looks at sector 438934488 of the same hard drive 
                           for core.img. core.img is at this location and looks 
                           for (,msdos6)/boot/grub on this drive. No errors found 
                           in the Boot Parameter Block.
        Operating System:  Windows 8
        Boot files:        /bootmgr /Boot/BCD /Windows/System32/winload.exe
    Somehow between the first bootrepair log and the second, your Ubuntu partition /dev/sda6 disappeared. So, bootrepair didn't detect any Ubuntu install and so it replaced grub with the windows-style bootloader (syslinux) in the MBR. But because of you bad bootsector, it's still going syslinux -> windows boot partition that contains grub -> xxx (can't find ubuntu). Hence grub prompt.

So after you fix the windows boot sector, Windows will boot, but not Ubuntu. To repair Ubuntu I'd recommend using testdisk to try to find the deleted /dev/sda6.
    Last edited by bcbc; March 16th, 2013 at 06:08 PM.

Beans

At the "sixth screen" I don't have the option to "BackupBS" only repair BS. Should I try that?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

RubeOne - I don't think so. This only works when the backup boot sector option is available. In this case, I'd recommend running a windows 8 repair cd to a repair prompt and running:
    Code:
    bootrec /fixboot

Beans

Hi,

Running into erros when trying boot-repair with recommended settings.
    I need it cause I have updated from win7 to win 8

http://paste.ubuntu.com/5619887/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ghostdriver View Post
    Hi,

Running into erros when trying boot-repair with recommended settings.
    I need it cause I have updated from win7 to win 8

http://paste.ubuntu.com/5619887/
    Somehow you have grub legacy installed. Did you select that option in boot repair? or did you install it manually yourself?

Because bootrepair first reports:
    Code:
    =================== PARTITIONS & DISKS:
    sda6    : sda,    not-sepboot,    grubenv-ok    grub2,    grub-pc ,
    But when it 'reinstalls grub2' it reports grub-legacy (as shown now in the MBR):
    Code:
    =================== Recommended repairRecommended-Repair
    This setting will reinstall the grub2 of sda6 into the MBR of sda.
    Additional repair will be performed: unhide-bootmenu-10s

grub-install (GNU GRUB 0.97),grub-install (GNU GRUB 0.

Reinstall the GRUB of sda6 into the MBR of sda
    Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
    grub-install /dev/sda: Installing GRUB to /dev/sda as (hd0)...
    Installation finished. No error reported.
    This is the contents of the device map /boot/grub/device.map.
    Check if this is correct or not. If any of the lines is incorrect,
    fix it and re-run the script `grub-install'.
    Result:
    Code:
    ============================= Boot Info Summary: ===============================

=> Grub Legacy (v0.97) is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda and looks on the 
        same drive in partition #6 for /boot/grub/stage2 and /boot/grub/menu.lst.
    And there is no menu.lst found.

I'd start by reinstalling grub2 bootloader to the MBR. But in order to do that you may have to chroot and remove grub (legacy) and replace it with grub-pc (grub2). I'm not sure whether boot-repair does this or not.
    Last edited by bcbc; March 16th, 2013 at 06:45 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    RubeOne - I don't think so. This only works when the backup boot sector option is available. In this case, I'd recommend running a windows 8 repair cd to a repair prompt and running:
    Code:
    bootrec /fixboot
    After running the above using a command prompt obtained by using the Windows 8 (32 bit) installation dvd, I no longer receive any errors.
    However, now I have a flashing cursor with no prompt and no evidence of a boot loader at all.

Page 88 of 235 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098138188 ... LastLast