Page 150 of 235 FirstFirst ... 50100140148149150151152160200 ... LastLast
Results 1,491 to 1,500 of 2344

Thread: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in one click

Beans

Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in one click

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post

@wmdvanzyl
    It looks like you were using Windows to boot Ubuntu with EasyBCD which then uses grub4dos to be able to boot. With grub & multiple hard drives you should not need EasyBCD.
    Keep a Windows boot loader in your Windows drive. And have grub2 in your sdc Ubuntu drive. Then set BIOS to boot sdc drive.
    Boot-Repair's auto fix with multiple drives installs grub to the MBR of every drive. I prefer having different systems on different drives and each system to have its boot loader in the MBR of that drive. Actually I prefer a bootable system on every drive also.
    You should be able to use Boot-Repair and uncheck auto fix and check update MBR. Then choose Windows and sda to update and it will put a Windows type boot loader in the MBR of your Windows boot loader. You should then be able to boot Windows. Not sure if then EasyBCD will work or not. It probably needs updates. But change BIOS to boot sdc and you can boot either Windows or Ubuntu from grub menu.
    You can also use your Windows repairCD (you do have that do you not?) to run fixMBR to put an offical Windows boot loader in the MBR.

How to restore the Ubuntu/XP/Vista/7 bootloader
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...ta/7Bootloader

Make your own Windows repairCD (not vendor recovery):
    http://forums.techarena.in/guides-tutorials/1114725.htm
    Windows users only - Silverlight
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/w...em-repair-disc

Windows 7 repair USB, Also Vista if service pack installed
    http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-re...tion-dvd-disc/
    http://www.webupd8.org/2010/10/creat...usb-drive.html
    @oldfred - Thanks for the reponse. There are a lot of suggestions in there and usually i would have tried several by now, but i am scared to try things at the moment. I just want to clarify one or two things. Your summary of how i booted is not 100% correct. Of the 3 drives, only 2 were bootable, that being the drive that had ubuntu on and the drive that held my win7 installation. The win7 drive could boot all by itself when everything else was plugged out. I then added the ubuntu drive, installed grub2 on there and then simply added an entry for the win7 drive. So i boot through grub into ubuntu and win7, but i could also boot win7 by changoing the boot order in the bios for instance. Does that make more sense? So i didn't use EasyBCD or grub4dos.

Look, this little app went and copied grub2 into the mbr of all my drives (right??) when i clicked "Recommended repair" which i find disconcerting seeing as that seems a rather drastic thing to happen on "recommended settings". What i would like to do ideally is use the little app to undo what it has done. I don't know enough of drives and mbr's and partition tables to understand what is going on.

• I would live to leave my current sdc/ext4/ubuntu drive as is, but have an entry again pointing to the win7 installation.
    • I would like to make my sdb/ntfs/data drive unbootable again.
    • I would like to make my sda/ntfs/win7 drive bootable again without grub, as in, if i set it as first boot device in bios i want it to boot with the default win7 boto lader.

THanks you very much for the response and for taking the time to help. I am willing to try all your suggestions, but as i mentioned, i am scared of losing data or the win 7 installation. Knowing more of what my setup was and what i need, what do you suggest as a safe course of action?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Buried in my suggestions above.
    Use Boot-Repair and uncheck auto fix, but then check update MBR. Then choose Windows and your sda drive for fix. It will install a Windows boot loader to your Windows drive and from BIOS you can always boot Windows directly.
    You can also do the same from a Windows repair CD or flash drive. Often the auto repair requires 3 times to fix everything, but all you need is the fixMBR command from the recovery console terminal.

I do not suggest removing grub from your data drive or sdb. With boot loaders, you just overwrite with a new boot loader. The grub2 boot loader in sdb will not be used. The space is reserved for boot loaders and does not interfere with anything. There are commands to write zero back into MBR, but it is very low level and any typo can then cause huge problems. Best just to leave it.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Buried in my suggestions above.
    Use Boot-Repair and uncheck auto fix, but then check update MBR. Then choose Windows and your sda drive for fix. It will install a Windows boot loader to your Windows drive and from BIOS you can always boot Windows directly.
    You can also do the same from a Windows repair CD or flash drive. Often the auto repair requires 3 times to fix everything, but all you need is the fixMBR command from the recovery console terminal.

I do not suggest removing grub from your data drive or sdb. With boot loaders, you just overwrite with a new boot loader. The grub2 boot loader in sdb will not be used. The space is reserved for boot loaders and does not interfere with anything. There are commands to write zero back into MBR, but it is very low level and any typo can then cause huge problems. Best just to leave it.
    Ok thanks. During the auto fix that broke my windows drives, i noticed that it created a new partition on my windows drive and set that to bootable. Should i delete this partition or just leave everything as is and follow your suggestion? It also added both the original partition and the new partition it created to grub, but neither actually boots windows.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Windows always wants its boot files on the drive you set in BIOS to boot from. So you should have BIOS set to boot from Windows drive. Rarely would you want Windows boot files on a different drive.
    It should not have created a separate partition. Normal new installs of Windows 7 do that, but if you have a partition with the boot flag like over installing Vista, then Windows 7 will install and boot from one partition.

Grub always defaults to install to sda, which usually is the BIOS boot drive but not always where you want it.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Windows always wants its boot files on the drive you set in BIOS to boot from.
    I don't know that much about drives/mbrs/partitions/, so i might use the wrong semantics when describing my issues, but as far as i know, this worked without a problem. I was booting windows from grub which was installed on the ubuntu drive just fine.

So you should have BIOS set to boot from Windows drive. Rarely would you want Windows boot files on a different drive.
    Why? I didn't work that way before. I want to have grub installed on the ubuntu drive and have it boot windows from there. But i suppose i will try anything at this time.

It should not have created a separate partition.
    But it did. So should i leave that partition there or what should i do?

Grub always defaults to install to sda, which usually is the BIOS boot drive but not always where you want it.
    I was very careful to not install grub in sda, but rather in sdc. I have no idea what this Boot-Repair app did.

I will try this:

This did not work:

This is my current result from running Boot Repair's boot info summary.

Code:
     Boot Info Script e7fc706 + Boot-Repair extra info      [Boot-Info 27Sep2013]

============================= Boot Info Summary: ===============================

=> Windows 7/8/2012 is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda.
     => Grub2 (v1.99) is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdb and looks at sector 1 of 
        the same hard drive for core.img. core.img is at this location and looks 
        in partition 1 for /boot/grub.
     => Grub2 (v1.99) is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdc and looks at sector 1 of 
        the same hard drive for core.img. core.img is at this location and looks 
        in partition 94 for .

sda1: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       ntfs
        Boot sector type:  Windows Vista: NTFS
        Boot sector info:  No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
        Operating System:  
        Boot files:        /grldr /bootmgr /Boot/BCD /grldr

sda2: __________________________________________________________________________

Boot sector type:  Windows 7/2008: NTFS
        Operating System:  Windows 7
        Boot files:        /grldr /bootmgr /Boot/BCD 
                           /Windows/System32/winload.exe /grldr

sdb1: __________________________________________________________________________

Boot sector type:  Windows 7/2008: NTFS
        Operating System:  
        Boot files:        

sdc1: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       ext4
        Boot sector type:  -
        Boot sector info: 
        Operating System:  Ubuntu 13.04 
        Boot files:        /boot/grub/grub.cfg /etc/fstab 
                           /boot/grub/i386-pc/core.img

============================ Drive/Partition Info: =============================

Drive: sda _____________________________________________________________________

Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders, total 976773168 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Partition  Boot  Start Sector    End Sector  # of Sectors  Id System

/dev/sda1               2,048       206,847       204,800   7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS
    /dev/sda2    *        206,848   976,771,071   976,564,224   7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS

Drive: sdb _____________________________________________________________________

Disk /dev/sdb: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes

/dev/sdb1               2,048   976,769,023   976,766,976   7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS

Drive: sdc _____________________________________________________________________

Disk /dev/sdc: 60.0 GB, 60022480896 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7297 cylinders, total 117231408 sectors

/dev/sdc1    *          2,048   117,229,567   117,227,520  83 Linux

"blkid" output: ________________________________________________________________

Device           UUID                                   TYPE       LABEL

/dev/sda1        B406D88C06D850CA                       ntfs       System Reserved
    /dev/sda2        106EE1646EE142D8                       ntfs       
    /dev/sdb1        247AD0ED7AD0BD2C                       ntfs       Data
    /dev/sdc1        c3286320-55d6-4fcf-bebd-e75ed6688aee   ext4       Ubuntu_SSD

================================ Mount points: =================================

Device           Mount_Point              Type       Options

/dev/sdc1        /                        ext4       (rw,errors=remount-ro)

=========================== sdc1/boot/grub/grub.cfg: ===========================

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    #
    # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
    #
    # It is automatically generated by grub-mkconfig using templates
    # from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
    #

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
    if [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then
      set have_grubenv=true
      load_env
    fi
    set default="0"

if [ x"${feature_menuentry_id}" = xy ]; then
      menuentry_id_option="--id"
    else
      menuentry_id_option=""
    fi

export menuentry_id_option

if [ "${prev_saved_entry}" ]; then
      set saved_entry="${prev_saved_entry}"
      save_env saved_entry
      set prev_saved_entry=
      save_env prev_saved_entry
      set boot_once=true
    fi

function savedefault {
      if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then
        saved_entry="${chosen}"
        save_env saved_entry
      fi
    }

function recordfail {
      set recordfail=1
      if [ -n "${have_grubenv}" ]; then if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then save_env recordfail; fi; fi
    }

function load_video {
      if [ x$feature_all_video_module = xy ]; then
        insmod all_video
      else
        insmod efi_gop
        insmod efi_uga
        insmod ieee1275_fb
        insmod vbe
        insmod vga
        insmod video_bochs
        insmod video_cirrus
      fi
    }

if [ x$feature_default_font_path = xy ] ; then
       font=unicode
    else
    insmod part_msdos
    insmod ext2
    set root='hd2,msdos1'
    if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
      search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd2,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd2,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci2,msdos1  c3286320-55d6-4fcf-bebd-e75ed6688aee
    else
      search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root c3286320-55d6-4fcf-bebd-e75ed6688aee
    fi
        font="/usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2"
    fi

if loadfont $font ; then
      set gfxmode=auto
      load_video
      insmod gfxterm
      set locale_dir=$prefix/locale
      set lang=en_US
      insmod gettext
    fi
    terminal_output gfxterm
    if [ "${recordfail}" = 1 ]; then
      set timeout=10
    else
      set timeout=10
    fi
    ### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###
    set menu_color_normal=white/black
    set menu_color_highlight=black/light-gray
    if background_color 44,0,30; then
      clear
    fi
    ### END /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
    function gfxmode {
    	set gfxpayload="${1}"
    	if [ "${1}" = "keep" ]; then
    		set vt_handoff=vt.handoff=7
    	else
    		set vt_handoff=
    	fi
    }
    if [ "${recordfail}" != 1 ]; then
      if [ -e ${prefix}/gfxblacklist.txt ]; then
        if hwmatch ${prefix}/gfxblacklist.txt 3; then
          if [ ${match} = 0 ]; then
            set linux_gfx_mode=keep
          else
            set linux_gfx_mode=text
          fi
        else
          set linux_gfx_mode=text
        fi
      else
        set linux_gfx_mode=keep
      fi
    else
      set linux_gfx_mode=text
    fi
    export linux_gfx_mode
    menuentry 'Ubuntu' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-simple-c3286320-55d6-4fcf-bebd-e75ed6688aee' {
    recordfail
    	load_video
    	gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode
    	insmod gzio
    	insmod part_msdos
    	insmod ext2
    	set root='hd2,msdos1'
    	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd2,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd2,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci2,msdos1  c3286320-55d6-4fcf-bebd-e75ed6688aee
    	else
    	fi
    	linux	/boot/vmlinuz-3.8.0-19-generic root=UUID=c3286320-55d6-4fcf-bebd-e75ed6688aee ro   quiet splash $vt_handoff
    	initrd	/boot/initrd.img-3.8.0-19-generic
    }
    submenu 'Advanced options for Ubuntu' $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-advanced-c3286320-55d6-4fcf-bebd-e75ed6688aee' {
    	menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 3.8.0-19-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-3.8.0-19-generic-advanced-c3286320-55d6-4fcf-bebd-e75ed6688aee' {
    	recordfail
    		load_video
    		gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode
    		insmod gzio
    		insmod part_msdos
    		insmod ext2
    		set root='hd2,msdos1'
    		else
    		fi
    		echo	'Loading Linux 3.8.0-19-generic ...'
    		linux	/boot/vmlinuz-3.8.0-19-generic root=UUID=c3286320-55d6-4fcf-bebd-e75ed6688aee ro   quiet splash $vt_handoff
    		echo	'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
    	}
    	menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 3.8.0-19-generic (recovery mode)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-3.8.0-19-generic-recovery-c3286320-55d6-4fcf-bebd-e75ed6688aee' {
    	recordfail
    		load_video
    		insmod gzio
    		insmod part_msdos
    		insmod ext2
    		set root='hd2,msdos1'
    		else
    		fi
    		echo	'Loading Linux 3.8.0-19-generic ...'
    		linux	/boot/vmlinuz-3.8.0-19-generic root=UUID=c3286320-55d6-4fcf-bebd-e75ed6688aee ro recovery nomodeset 
    	}
    	menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 3.5.0-41-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-3.5.0-41-generic-advanced-c3286320-55d6-4fcf-bebd-e75ed6688aee' {
    	recordfail
    		load_video
    		gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode
    		insmod gzio
    		insmod part_msdos
    		insmod ext2
    		set root='hd2,msdos1'
    		else
    		fi
    		echo	'Loading Linux 3.5.0-41-generic ...'
    		linux	/boot/vmlinuz-3.5.0-41-generic root=UUID=c3286320-55d6-4fcf-bebd-e75ed6688aee ro   quiet splash $vt_handoff
    		initrd	/boot/initrd.img-3.5.0-41-generic
    	}
    	menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 3.5.0-41-generic (recovery mode)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-3.5.0-41-generic-recovery-c3286320-55d6-4fcf-bebd-e75ed6688aee' {
    	recordfail
    		load_video
    		insmod gzio
    		insmod part_msdos
    		insmod ext2
    		set root='hd2,msdos1'
    		else
    		fi
    		echo	'Loading Linux 3.5.0-41-generic ...'
    		linux	/boot/vmlinuz-3.5.0-41-generic root=UUID=c3286320-55d6-4fcf-bebd-e75ed6688aee ro recovery nomodeset 
    		initrd	/boot/initrd.img-3.5.0-41-generic
    	}
    	menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 3.2.0-54-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-3.2.0-54-generic-advanced-c3286320-55d6-4fcf-bebd-e75ed6688aee' {
    	recordfail
    		load_video
    		gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode
    		insmod gzio
    		insmod part_msdos
    		insmod ext2
    		set root='hd2,msdos1'
    		else
    		fi
    		echo	'Loading Linux 3.2.0-54-generic ...'
    		linux	/boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-54-generic root=UUID=c3286320-55d6-4fcf-bebd-e75ed6688aee ro   quiet splash $vt_handoff
    		initrd	/boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-54-generic
    	}
    	menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 3.2.0-54-generic (recovery mode)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-3.2.0-54-generic-recovery-c3286320-55d6-4fcf-bebd-e75ed6688aee' {
    	recordfail
    		load_video
    		insmod gzio
    		insmod part_msdos
    		insmod ext2
    		set root='hd2,msdos1'
    		else
    		fi
    		echo	'Loading Linux 3.2.0-54-generic ...'
    		linux	/boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-54-generic root=UUID=c3286320-55d6-4fcf-bebd-e75ed6688aee ro recovery nomodeset 
    		initrd	/boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-54-generic
    	}
    }

### END /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###

### END /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###
    menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+)" {
    	insmod part_msdos
    	insmod ext2
    	set root='hd2,msdos1'
    	else
    	fi
    	linux16	/boot/memtest86+.bin
    }
    menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)" {
    	insmod part_msdos
    	insmod ext2
    	set root='hd2,msdos1'
    	else
    	fi
    	linux16	/boot/memtest86+.bin console=ttyS0,115200n8
    }
    ### END /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
    menuentry 'Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda1)' --class windows --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-chain-B406D88C06D850CA' {
    	insmod part_msdos
    	insmod ntfs
    	set root='hd0,msdos1'
    	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos1  B406D88C06D850CA
    	else
    	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root B406D88C06D850CA
    	fi
    	chainloader +1
    }
    menuentry 'Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda2)' --class windows --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-chain-106EE1646EE142D8' {
    	insmod part_msdos
    	insmod ntfs
    	set root='hd0,msdos2'
    	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos2 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos2 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos2  106EE1646EE142D8
    	else
    	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 106EE1646EE142D8
    	fi
    	chainloader +1
    }
    ### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_uefi-firmware ###
    ### END /etc/grub.d/30_uefi-firmware ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
    # This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
    # menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
    # the 'exec tail' line above.
    ### END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###
    if [ -f  ${config_directory}/custom.cfg ]; then
      source ${config_directory}/custom.cfg
    elif [ -z "${config_directory}" -a -f  $prefix/custom.cfg ]; then
      source $prefix/custom.cfg;
    fi
    ### END /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

=============================== sdc1/etc/fstab: ================================

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
    # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
    # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
    # / was on /dev/sdb1 during installation
    UUID=c3286320-55d6-4fcf-bebd-e75ed6688aee /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1

=================== sdc1: Location of files loaded by Grub: ====================

GiB - GB             File                                 Fragment(s)

12.284545898 = 13.190430720   boot/grub/grub.cfg                             1
      20.151393890 = 21.637394432   boot/grub/i386-pc/core.img                     1
       7.497703552 = 8.050597888    boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-54-generic                  1
      13.826110840 = 14.845673472   boot/vmlinuz-3.5.0-41-generic                  1
       7.552841187 = 8.109801472    boot/vmlinuz-3.8.0-19-generic                  2
       7.552841187 = 8.109801472    vmlinuz                                        2
      13.881412506 = 14.905053184   boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-54-generic               2
       8.050228119 = 8.643866624    boot/initrd.img-3.5.0-41-generic               2
       9.562900543 = 10.268086272   boot/initrd.img-3.8.0-19-generic               1
       9.562900543 = 10.268086272   initrd.img                                     1
       9.562900543 = 10.268086272   initrd.img.old                                 1

=============================== StdErr Messages: ===============================

cat: write error: Broken pipe

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION :
    =================== log of boot-repair 2013-10-15__10h08 ===================
    boot-repair version : 3.199~ppa31~raring
    boot-sav version : 3.199~ppa31~raring
    glade2script version : 3.2.2~ppa45~raring
    boot-sav-extra version : 3.199~ppa31~raring
    boot-repair is executed in installed-session (Ubuntu 13.04, raring, Ubuntu, x86_64)
    CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
    BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.8.0-19-generic root=UUID=c3286320-55d6-4fcf-bebd-e75ed6688aee ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7

=================== os-prober:
    /dev/sdc1:The OS now in use - Ubuntu 13.04 CurrentSession:linux
    /dev/sda1:Windows 7 (loader):Windows:chain
    /dev/sda2:Windows 7 (loader):Windows1:chain

=================== blkid:
    /dev/sda1: LABEL="System Reserved" UUID="B406D88C06D850CA" TYPE="ntfs"
    /dev/sda2: UUID="106EE1646EE142D8" TYPE="ntfs"
    /dev/sdb1: LABEL="Data" UUID="247AD0ED7AD0BD2C" TYPE="ntfs"
    /dev/sdc1: LABEL="Ubuntu_SSD" UUID="c3286320-55d6-4fcf-bebd-e75ed6688aee" TYPE="ext4"

2 disks with OS, 3 OS : 1 Linux, 0 MacOS, 2 Windows, 0 unknown type OS.

=================== /etc/grub.d/ :
    drwxr-xr-x  2 root root     4096 Apr 24 19:05 grub.d
    total 72
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  7541 Apr  9  2013 00_header
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  5974 Apr  9  2013 05_debian_theme
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 11381 Apr  9  2013 10_linux
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 10258 Apr  9  2013 20_linux_xen
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  1688 Dec  5  2012 20_memtest86+
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 10976 Apr  9  2013 30_os-prober
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  1426 Apr  9  2013 30_uefi-firmware
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   214 Apr  9  2013 40_custom
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   216 Apr  9  2013 41_custom
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   483 Apr  9  2013 README

=================== /etc/default/grub :

# If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
    # /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
    # For full documentation of the options in this file, see:
    #   info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

# Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs
    # This works with Linux (no patch required) and with any kernel that obtains
    # the memory map information from GRUB (GNU Mach, kernel of FreeBSD ...)
    #GRUB_BADRAM="0x01234567,0xfefefefe,0x89abcdef,0xefefefef"

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
    #GRUB_TERMINAL=console

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
    # note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
    # you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
    #GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux
    #GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
    #GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"

# Uncomment to get a beep at grub start
    #GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"

=================== UEFI/Legacy mode:
    This installed-session is not in EFI-mode.
    SecureBoot disabled.

=================== PARTITIONS & DISKS:
    sdc1	: sdc,	not-sepboot,	grubenv-ok	grub2,	grub-pc ,	update-grub,	64,	with-boot,	is-os,	not--efi--part,	fstab-without-boot,	fstab-without-efi,	no-nt,	no-winload,	no-recov-nor-hid,	no-bmgr,	notwinboot,	apt-get,	grub-install,	with--usr,	fstab-without-usr,	not-sep-usr,	standard,	not-far,	.
    sda1	: sda,	not-sepboot,	no-grubenv	nogrub,	no-docgrub,	no-update-grub,	32,	no-boot,	is-os,	not--efi--part,	part-has-no-fstab,	part-has-no-fstab,	no-nt,	no-winload,	no-recov-nor-hid,	bootmgr,	is-winboot,	nopakmgr,	nogrubinstall,	no---usr,	part-has-no-fstab,	not-sep-usr,	standard,	not-far,	/mnt/boot-sav/sda1.
    sda2	: sda,	not-sepboot,	no-grubenv	nogrub,	no-docgrub,	no-update-grub,	32,	no-boot,	is-os,	not--efi--part,	part-has-no-fstab,	part-has-no-fstab,	no-nt,	haswinload,	no-recov-nor-hid,	bootmgr,	is-winboot,	nopakmgr,	nogrubinstall,	no---usr,	part-has-no-fstab,	not-sep-usr,	standard,	farbios,	/mnt/boot-sav/sda2.
    sdb1	: sdb,	not-sepboot,	no-grubenv	nogrub,	no-docgrub,	no-update-grub,	32,	no-boot,	no-os,	not--efi--part,	part-has-no-fstab,	part-has-no-fstab,	no-nt,	no-winload,	no-recov-nor-hid,	no-bmgr,	notwinboot,	nopakmgr,	nogrubinstall,	no---usr,	part-has-no-fstab,	not-sep-usr,	standard,	farbios,	/mnt/boot-sav/sdb1.

sdc	: not-GPT,	BIOSboot-not-needed,	has-no-EFIpart, 	not-usb,	has-os,	2048 sectors * 512 bytes
    sda	: not-GPT,	BIOSboot-not-needed,	has-no-EFIpart, 	not-usb,	has-os,	2048 sectors * 512 bytes
    sdb	: not-GPT,	BIOSboot-not-needed,	has-no-EFIpart, 	not-usb,	no-os,	2048 sectors * 512 bytes

=================== parted -l:

Model: ATA ST3500418AS (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sda: 500GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End    Size   Type     File system  Flags
    1      1049kB  106MB  105MB  primary  ntfs
    2      106MB   500GB  500GB  primary  ntfs         boot

Model: ATA ST500DM002-1BD14 (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sdb: 500GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B

Number  Start   End    Size   Type     File system  Flags
    1      1049kB  500GB  500GB  primary  ntfs

Model: ATA Corsair CSSD-F60 (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sdc: 60.0GB

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
    1      1049kB  60.0GB  60.0GB  primary  ext4         boot

=================== parted -lm:

BYT;
    /dev/sda:500GB:scsi:512:512:msdos:ATA ST3500418AS;
    1:1049kB:106MB:105MB:ntfs::;
    2:106MB:500GB:500GB:ntfs::boot;

BYT;
    /dev/sdb:500GB:scsi:512:4096:msdos:ATA ST500DM002-1BD14;
    1:1049kB:500GB:500GB:ntfs::;

BYT;
    /dev/sdc:60.0GB:scsi:512:512:msdos:ATA Corsair CSSD-F60;
    1:1049kB:60.0GB:60.0GB:ext4::boot;

=================== mount:
    /dev/sdc1 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
    sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
    none on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (rw)
    none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
    none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
    none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
    udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
    devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
    tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,size=10%,mode=0755)
    none on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=5242880)
    none on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
    none on /run/user type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=104857600,mode=0755)
    gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/willie/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=willie)
    /dev/sda1 on /mnt/boot-sav/sda1 type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096)
    /dev/sda2 on /mnt/boot-sav/sda2 type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096)
    /dev/sdb1 on /mnt/boot-sav/sdb1 type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096)

=================== ls:
    /sys/block/sda (filtered):  alignment_offset bdi capability dev device discard_alignment events events_async events_poll_msecs ext_range holders inflight power queue range removable ro sda1 sda2 size slaves stat subsystem trace uevent
    /sys/block/sdb (filtered):  alignment_offset bdi capability dev device discard_alignment events events_async events_poll_msecs ext_range holders inflight power queue range removable ro sdb1 size slaves stat subsystem trace uevent
    /sys/block/sdc (filtered):  alignment_offset bdi capability dev device discard_alignment events events_async events_poll_msecs ext_range holders inflight power queue range removable ro sdc1 size slaves stat subsystem trace uevent
    /sys/block/sr0 (filtered):  alignment_offset bdi capability dev device discard_alignment events events_async events_poll_msecs ext_range holders inflight power queue range removable ro size slaves stat subsystem trace uevent
    /dev (filtered):  alarm ashmem autofs binder block bsg btrfs-control bus cdrom cdrw char console core cpu cpu_dma_latency disk dri dvd dvdrw ecryptfs fb0 fd full fuse hidraw0 hidraw1 hidraw2 hidraw3 hpet input kmsg kvm log mapper mcelog mem net network_latency network_throughput null oldmem port ppp psaux ptmx pts random rfkill rtc rtc0 sda sda1 sda2 sdb sdb1 sdc sdc1 sg0 sg1 sg2 sg3 shm snapshot snd sr0 stderr stdin stdout uinput urandom usb vga_arbiter vhost-net watchdog zero
    ls /dev/mapper:  control

=================== hexdump -n512 -C /dev/sda1
    00000000  eb 52 90 4e 54 46 53 20  20 20 20 00 02 08 00 00  |.R.NTFS    .....|
    00000010  00 00 00 00 00 f8 00 00  3f 00 ff 00 00 08 00 00  |........?.......|
    00000020  00 00 00 00 80 00 80 00  ff 1f 03 00 00 00 00 00  |................|
    00000030  55 21 00 00 00 00 00 00  02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |U!..............|
    00000040  f6 00 00 00 01 00 00 00  ca 50 d8 06 8c d8 06 b4  |.........P......|
    00000050  00 00 00 00 fa 33 c0 8e  d0 bc 00 7c fb 68 c0 07  |.....3.....|.h..|
    00000060  1f 1e 68 66 00 cb 88 16  0e 00 66 81 3e 03 00 4e  |..hf......f.>..N|
    00000070  54 46 53 75 15 b4 41 bb  aa 55 cd 13 72 0c 81 fb  |TFSu..A..U..r...|
    00000080  55 aa 75 06 f7 c1 01 00  75 03 e9 d2 00 1e 83 ec  |U.u.....u.......|
    00000090  18 68 1a 00 b4 48 8a 16  0e 00 8b f4 16 1f cd 13  |.h...H..........|
    000000a0  9f 83 c4 18 9e 58 1f 72  e1 3b 06 0b 00 75 db a3  |.....X.r.;...u..|
    000000b0  0f 00 c1 2e 0f 00 04 1e  5a 33 db b9 00 20 2b c8  |........Z3... +.|
    000000c0  66 ff 06 11 00 03 16 0f  00 8e c2 ff 06 16 00 e8  |f...............|
    000000d0  40 00 2b c8 77 ef b8 00  bb cd 1a 66 23 c0 75 2d  |@.+.w......f#.u-|
    000000e0  66 81 fb 54 43 50 41 75  24 81 f9 02 01 72 1e 16  |f..TCPAu$....r..|
    000000f0  68 07 bb 16 68 70 0e 16  68 09 00 66 53 66 53 66  |h...hp..h..fSfSf|
    00000100  55 16 16 16 68 b8 01 66  61 0e 07 cd 1a e9 6a 01  |U...h..fa.....j.|
    00000110  90 90 66 60 1e 06 66 a1  11 00 66 03 06 1c 00 1e  |..f`..f...f.....|
    00000120  66 68 00 00 00 00 66 50  06 53 68 01 00 68 10 00  |fh....fP.Sh..h..|
    00000130  b4 42 8a 16 0e 00 16 1f  8b f4 cd 13 66 59 5b 5a  |.B..........fY[Z|
    00000140  66 59 66 59 1f 0f 82 16  00 66 ff 06 11 00 03 16  |fYfY.....f......|
    00000150  0f 00 8e c2 ff 0e 16 00  75 bc 07 1f 66 61 c3 a0  |........u...fa..|
    00000160  f8 01 e8 08 00 a0 fb 01  e8 02 00 eb fe b4 01 8b  |................|
    00000170  f0 ac 3c 00 74 09 b4 0e  bb 07 00 cd 10 eb f2 c3  |..<.t...........|
    00000180  0d 0a 41 20 64 69 73 6b  20 72 65 61 64 20 65 72  |..A disk read er|
    00000190  72 6f 72 20 6f 63 63 75  72 72 65 64 00 0d 0a 42  |ror occurred...B|
    000001a0  4f 4f 54 4d 47 52 20 69  73 20 6d 69 73 73 69 6e  |OOTMGR is missin|
    000001b0  67 00 0d 0a 42 4f 4f 54  4d 47 52 20 69 73 20 63  |g...BOOTMGR is c|
    000001c0  6f 6d 70 72 65 73 73 65  64 00 0d 0a 50 72 65 73  |ompressed...Pres|
    000001d0  73 20 43 74 72 6c 2b 41  6c 74 2b 44 65 6c 20 74  |s Ctrl+Alt+Del t|
    000001e0  6f 20 72 65 73 74 61 72  74 0d 0a 00 00 00 00 00  |o restart.......|
    000001f0  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  80 9d b2 ca 00 00 55 aa  |..............U.|

=================== hexdump -n512 -C /dev/sda2
    00000010  00 00 00 00 00 f8 00 00  3f 00 ff 00 00 28 03 00  |........?....(..|
    00000020  00 00 00 00 80 00 80 00  ff 2f 35 3a 00 00 00 00  |........./5:....|
    00000030  00 00 0c 00 00 00 00 00  02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |................|
    00000040  f6 00 00 00 01 00 00 00  d8 42 e1 6e 64 e1 6e 10  |.........B.nd.n.|
    00000080  55 aa 75 06 f7 c1 01 00  75 03 e9 dd 00 1e 83 ec  |U.u.....u.......|
    000000d0  4b 00 2b c8 77 ef b8 00  bb cd 1a 66 23 c0 75 2d  |K.+.w......f#.u-|
    00000100  55 16 16 16 68 b8 01 66  61 0e 07 cd 1a 33 c0 bf  |U...h..fa....3..|
    00000110  28 10 b9 d8 0f fc f3 aa  e9 5f 01 90 90 66 60 1e  |(........_...f`.|
    00000120  06 66 a1 11 00 66 03 06  1c 00 1e 66 68 00 00 00  |.f...f.....fh...|
    00000130  00 66 50 06 53 68 01 00  68 10 00 b4 42 8a 16 0e  |.fP.Sh..h...B...|
    00000140  00 16 1f 8b f4 cd 13 66  59 5b 5a 66 59 66 59 1f  |.......fY[ZfYfY.|
    00000150  0f 82 16 00 66 ff 06 11  00 03 16 0f 00 8e c2 ff  |....f...........|
    00000160  0e 16 00 75 bc 07 1f 66  61 c3 a0 f8 01 e8 09 00  |...u...fa.......|
    00000170  a0 fb 01 e8 03 00 f4 eb  fd b4 01 8b f0 ac 3c 00  |..............<.|
    00000180  74 09 b4 0e bb 07 00 cd  10 eb f2 c3 0d 0a 41 20  |t.............A |
    00000190  64 69 73 6b 20 72 65 61  64 20 65 72 72 6f 72 20  |disk read error |
    000001a0  6f 63 63 75 72 72 65 64  00 0d 0a 42 4f 4f 54 4d  |occurred...BOOTM|
    000001b0  47 52 20 69 73 20 6d 69  73 73 69 6e 67 00 0d 0a  |GR is missing...|
    000001c0  42 4f 4f 54 4d 47 52 20  69 73 20 63 6f 6d 70 72  |BOOTMGR is compr|
    000001d0  65 73 73 65 64 00 0d 0a  50 72 65 73 73 20 43 74  |essed...Press Ct|
    000001e0  72 6c 2b 41 6c 74 2b 44  65 6c 20 74 6f 20 72 65  |rl+Alt+Del to re|
    000001f0  73 74 61 72 74 0d 0a 00  8c a9 be d6 00 00 55 aa  |start.........U.|

=================== hexdump -n512 -C /dev/sdb1
    00000010  00 00 00 00 00 f8 00 00  3f 00 ff 00 00 08 00 00  |........?.......|
    00000020  00 00 00 00 80 00 80 00  ff 47 38 3a 00 00 00 00  |.........G8:....|
    00000030  00 00 0c 00 00 00 00 00  02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |................|
    00000040  f6 00 00 00 01 00 00 00  2c bd d0 7a ed d0 7a 24  |........,..z..z$|
    00000080  55 aa 75 06 f7 c1 01 00  75 03 e9 dd 00 1e 83 ec  |U.u.....u.......|
    000000d0  4b 00 2b c8 77 ef b8 00  bb cd 1a 66 23 c0 75 2d  |K.+.w......f#.u-|
    00000100  55 16 16 16 68 b8 01 66  61 0e 07 cd 1a 33 c0 bf  |U...h..fa....3..|
    00000110  28 10 b9 d8 0f fc f3 aa  e9 5f 01 90 90 66 60 1e  |(........_...f`.|
    00000120  06 66 a1 11 00 66 03 06  1c 00 1e 66 68 00 00 00  |.f...f.....fh...|
    00000130  00 66 50 06 53 68 01 00  68 10 00 b4 42 8a 16 0e  |.fP.Sh..h...B...|
    00000140  00 16 1f 8b f4 cd 13 66  59 5b 5a 66 59 66 59 1f  |.......fY[ZfYfY.|
    00000150  0f 82 16 00 66 ff 06 11  00 03 16 0f 00 8e c2 ff  |....f...........|
    00000160  0e 16 00 75 bc 07 1f 66  61 c3 a0 f8 01 e8 09 00  |...u...fa.......|
    00000170  a0 fb 01 e8 03 00 f4 eb  fd b4 01 8b f0 ac 3c 00  |..............<.|
    00000180  74 09 b4 0e bb 07 00 cd  10 eb f2 c3 0d 0a 41 20  |t.............A |
    00000190  64 69 73 6b 20 72 65 61  64 20 65 72 72 6f 72 20  |disk read error |
    000001a0  6f 63 63 75 72 72 65 64  00 0d 0a 42 4f 4f 54 4d  |occurred...BOOTM|
    000001b0  47 52 20 69 73 20 6d 69  73 73 69 6e 67 00 0d 0a  |GR is missing...|
    000001c0  42 4f 4f 54 4d 47 52 20  69 73 20 63 6f 6d 70 72  |BOOTMGR is compr|
    000001d0  65 73 73 65 64 00 0d 0a  50 72 65 73 73 20 43 74  |essed...Press Ct|
    000001e0  72 6c 2b 41 6c 74 2b 44  65 6c 20 74 6f 20 72 65  |rl+Alt+Del to re|
    000001f0  73 74 61 72 74 0d 0a 00  8c a9 be d6 00 00 55 aa  |start.........U.|

=================== df -Th:

Filesystem     Type      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sdc1      ext4       55G   14G   40G  26% /
    none           tmpfs     4.0K     0  4.0K   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    udev           devtmpfs  3.9G   12K  3.9G   1% /dev
    tmpfs          tmpfs     797M  860K  796M   1% /run
    none           tmpfs     5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
    none           tmpfs     3.9G   92K  3.9G   1% /run/shm
    none           tmpfs     100M   16K  100M   1% /run/user
    /dev/sda1      fuseblk   100M   26M   75M  26% /mnt/boot-sav/sda1
    /dev/sda2      fuseblk   466G  294G  173G  63% /mnt/boot-sav/sda2
    /dev/sdb1      fuseblk   466G  247G  219G  53% /mnt/boot-sav/sdb1

=================== fdisk -l:

Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x6e9eec47

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1            2048      206847      102400    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda2   *      206848   976771071   488282112    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

Disk /dev/sdb: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x630c492c

/dev/sdb1            2048   976769023   488383488    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

Disk /dev/sdc: 60.0 GB, 60022480896 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7297 cylinders, total 117231408 sectors
    Disk identifier: 0x000c32de

/dev/sdc1   *        2048   117229567    58613760   83  Linux

User choice: Is sdc (60.0GB) a removable disk? no

=================== Default settings
    Recommended-Repair
    This setting would reinstall the grub2 of sdc1 into the MBRs of all disks (except USB without OS).
    The boot flag would be placed on sdb1.
    Additional repair would be performed: unhide-bootmenu-10s

=================== Settings chosen by the user
    Custom-Repair
    This setting will reinstall the grub2 of sdc1 into the MBR of sdc.
    Additional repair will be performed: unhide-bootmenu-10s

Unhide GRUB boot menu in sdc1/etc/default/grub
    grub-install (GRUB) 2.00-13ubuntu3,grub-install (GRUB) 2.

Reinstall the GRUB of sdc1 into the MBR of sdc
    Installation finished. No error reported.
    grub-install /dev/sdc: exit code of grub-install /dev/sdc:0

update-grub
    Generating grub.cfg ...
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.8.0-19-generic
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.8.0-19-generic
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.5.0-41-generic
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.5.0-41-generic
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-54-generic
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-54-generic
    Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
    Found Windows 7 (loader) on /dev/sda1
    Found Windows 7 (loader) on /dev/sda2
    Unhide GRUB boot menu in sdc1/boot/grub/grub.cfg

Boot successfully repaired.

You can now reboot your computer.
    Please do not forget to make your BIOS boot on sdc (60.0GB) disk!
    Last edited by wmdvanzyl; October 15th, 2013 at 09:20 AM. Reason: MORE INFO

Beans

FIXED!!!

Your advice worked! Thanks!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You have Windows boot loader in sda and grub in sdc. If you go into BIOS and choose the sdc drive as default boot drive, does that not boot grub and then from grub menu you should be able to boot Windows.
    You can also test direct booting of Windows either by changing BIOS or using your one time boot key (f12 on my system) to choose a different boot drive.

You do show boot files in both sda1 & sda2 and boot flag on sda2. Windows repairs and boots the partition with the boot flag so I would expect sda2 to be the one that boots. The sda1 may also boot. Grub will give you both as boot choices since it does not use boot flag but looks for boot files.

If Windows does not boot for any reason, you should use the direct boot from sda. Windows repair console is in sda1, so I so not think f8 will get you into Windows repairs unless you change boot flag back to sda1. Still best to have a separate Windows repairCD or flash anyway. And then if Windows does not work it needs more fixes, often chkdsk.

Grub will only be able to boot a working Windows.

You show /grldr in both sda1 & sda2 which is grub4dos, usually from an install of EasyBCD.

Beans

I installed 13.04 the other day on my Dell Inspiron 17r laptop. It came pre-installed with Windows 8. Using the instructions that I found here: http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/201...e-windows.html I was able to successfully install Ubuntu. However, I can now no longer boot into Windows 8. I ran Boot Repair and still have the same issue. Additionally, when I restart and press F12 to get into the startup options, selecting the Windows Boot Menu option still loads Ubuntu.

Here is the code from the Boot Repair that I ran:

Code:
    Boot Info Script e7fc706 + Boot-Repair extra info      [Boot-Info 27Sep2013]

============================= Boot Info Summary: ===============================

=> No boot loader is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda.

sda1: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       vfat
        Boot sector type:  FAT32
        Boot sector info:  According to the info in the boot sector, sda1 starts 
                           at sector 0. But according to the info from fdisk, 
                           sda1 starts at sector 2048.
        Operating System:  
        Boot files:        /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi /EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi 
                           /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi 
                           /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootx64.efi

sda2: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       ext4
        Boot sector info: 
        Operating System:  Ubuntu 13.10 
        Boot files:        /boot/grub/grub.cfg /etc/fstab

sda3: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       swap
        Boot sector info: 

============================ Drive/Partition Info: =============================

Drive: sda _____________________________________________________________________

Disk /dev/sda: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders, total 1953525168 sectors

/dev/sda1                   1 1,953,525,167 1,953,525,167  ee GPT

GUID Partition Table detected.

Partition    Start Sector    End Sector  # of Sectors System
    /dev/sda1           2,048       194,559       192,512 EFI System partition
    /dev/sda2         194,560 1,937,039,359 1,936,844,800 Data partition (Windows/Linux)
    /dev/sda3   1,937,039,360 1,953,523,711    16,484,352 Swap partition (Linux)

"blkid" output: ________________________________________________________________

Device           UUID                                   TYPE       LABEL

/dev/sda1        753C-64F2                              vfat       
    /dev/sda2        72c3c933-a0fc-4237-93ed-51e3c2f47847   ext4       
    /dev/sda3        a2c607e1-5763-4a75-8c64-f4121fe423eb   swap       

================================ Mount points: =================================

Device           Mount_Point              Type       Options

/dev/sda2        /                        ext4       (rw,errors=remount-ro)

=========================== sda2/boot/grub/grub.cfg: ===========================

#
    # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
    #
    # It is automatically generated by grub-mkconfig using templates
    # from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
    #

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
    if [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then
      set have_grubenv=true
      load_env
    fi
    set default="0"

if [ x"${feature_menuentry_id}" = xy ]; then
      menuentry_id_option="--id"
    else
      menuentry_id_option=""
    fi

export menuentry_id_option

if [ "${prev_saved_entry}" ]; then
      set saved_entry="${prev_saved_entry}"
      save_env saved_entry
      set prev_saved_entry=
      save_env prev_saved_entry
      set boot_once=true
    fi

function savedefault {
      if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then
        saved_entry="${chosen}"
        save_env saved_entry
      fi
    }

function recordfail {
      set recordfail=1
      if [ -n "${have_grubenv}" ]; then if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then save_env recordfail; fi; fi
    }

function load_video {
      if [ x$feature_all_video_module = xy ]; then
        insmod all_video
      else
        insmod efi_gop
        insmod efi_uga
        insmod ieee1275_fb
        insmod vbe
        insmod vga
        insmod video_bochs
        insmod video_cirrus
      fi
    }

if [ x$feature_default_font_path = xy ] ; then
       font=unicode
    else
    insmod part_gpt
    insmod ext2
    set root='hd0,gpt2'
      search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,gpt2 --hint-efi=hd0,gpt2 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,gpt2  72c3c933-a0fc-4237-93ed-51e3c2f47847
    else
      search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 72c3c933-a0fc-4237-93ed-51e3c2f47847
    fi
        font="/usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2"
    fi

if loadfont $font ; then
      set gfxmode=auto
      load_video
      insmod gfxterm
      set locale_dir=$prefix/locale
      set lang=en_US
      insmod gettext
    fi
    terminal_output gfxterm
    if [ "${recordfail}" = 1 ]; then
      set timeout=10
    else
      set timeout=10
    fi
    ### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###
    set menu_color_normal=white/black
    set menu_color_highlight=black/light-gray
    if background_color 44,0,30; then
      clear
    fi
    ### END /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
    function gfxmode {
        set gfxpayload="${1}"
        if [ "${1}" = "keep" ]; then
            set vt_handoff=vt.handoff=7
        else
            set vt_handoff=
        fi
    }
    if [ "${recordfail}" != 1 ]; then
      if [ -e ${prefix}/gfxblacklist.txt ]; then
        if hwmatch ${prefix}/gfxblacklist.txt 3; then
          if [ ${match} = 0 ]; then
            set linux_gfx_mode=keep
          else
            set linux_gfx_mode=text
          fi
        else
          set linux_gfx_mode=text
        fi
      else
        set linux_gfx_mode=keep
      fi
    else
      set linux_gfx_mode=text
    fi
    export linux_gfx_mode
    menuentry 'Ubuntu' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-simple-72c3c933-a0fc-4237-93ed-51e3c2f47847' {
    recordfail
        load_video
        gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode
        insmod gzio
        insmod part_gpt
        insmod ext2
        set root='hd0,gpt2'
          search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,gpt2 --hint-efi=hd0,gpt2 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,gpt2  72c3c933-a0fc-4237-93ed-51e3c2f47847
        else
        fi
        linux    /boot/vmlinuz-3.11.0-12-generic root=UUID=72c3c933-a0fc-4237-93ed-51e3c2f47847 ro   quiet splash $vt_handoff
        initrd    /boot/initrd.img-3.11.0-12-generic
    }
    submenu 'Advanced options for Ubuntu' $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-advanced-72c3c933-a0fc-4237-93ed-51e3c2f47847' {
        menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 3.11.0-12-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-3.11.0-12-generic-advanced-72c3c933-a0fc-4237-93ed-51e3c2f47847' {
        recordfail
            load_video
            gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode
            insmod gzio
            insmod part_gpt
            insmod ext2
            set root='hd0,gpt2'
            else
            fi
            echo    'Loading Linux 3.11.0-12-generic ...'
            linux    /boot/vmlinuz-3.11.0-12-generic root=UUID=72c3c933-a0fc-4237-93ed-51e3c2f47847 ro   quiet splash $vt_handoff
            echo    'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
        }
        menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 3.11.0-12-generic (recovery mode)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-3.11.0-12-generic-recovery-72c3c933-a0fc-4237-93ed-51e3c2f47847' {
        recordfail
            load_video
            insmod gzio
            insmod part_gpt
            insmod ext2
            set root='hd0,gpt2'
            else
            fi
            echo    'Loading Linux 3.11.0-12-generic ...'
            linux    /boot/vmlinuz-3.11.0-12-generic root=UUID=72c3c933-a0fc-4237-93ed-51e3c2f47847 ro recovery nomodeset 
        }
        menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 3.8.0-31-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-3.8.0-31-generic-advanced-72c3c933-a0fc-4237-93ed-51e3c2f47847' {
        recordfail
            load_video
            gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode
            insmod gzio
            insmod part_gpt
            insmod ext2
            set root='hd0,gpt2'
            else
            fi
            echo    'Loading Linux 3.8.0-31-generic ...'
            linux    /boot/vmlinuz-3.8.0-31-generic root=UUID=72c3c933-a0fc-4237-93ed-51e3c2f47847 ro   quiet splash $vt_handoff
            initrd    /boot/initrd.img-3.8.0-31-generic
        }
        menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 3.8.0-31-generic (recovery mode)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-3.8.0-31-generic-recovery-72c3c933-a0fc-4237-93ed-51e3c2f47847' {
        recordfail
            load_video
            insmod gzio
            insmod part_gpt
            insmod ext2
            set root='hd0,gpt2'
            else
            fi
            echo    'Loading Linux 3.8.0-31-generic ...'
            linux    /boot/vmlinuz-3.8.0-31-generic root=UUID=72c3c933-a0fc-4237-93ed-51e3c2f47847 ro recovery nomodeset 
            initrd    /boot/initrd.img-3.8.0-31-generic
        }
    }

### END /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###

### END /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###
    ### END /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
    ### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_uefi-firmware ###
    ### END /etc/grub.d/30_uefi-firmware ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
    # This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
    # menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
    # the 'exec tail' line above.
    ### END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###
    if [ -f  ${config_directory}/custom.cfg ]; then
      source ${config_directory}/custom.cfg
    elif [ -z "${config_directory}" -a -f  $prefix/custom.cfg ]; then
      source $prefix/custom.cfg;
    fi
    ### END /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###

=============================== sda2/etc/fstab: ================================

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
    # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
    # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
    # / was on /dev/sda2 during installation
    UUID=72c3c933-a0fc-4237-93ed-51e3c2f47847 /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
    # /boot/efi was on /dev/sda1 during installation
    #UUID=753C-64F2  /boot/efi       vfat    defaults        0       1
    # swap was on /dev/sda3 during installation
    UUID=a2c607e1-5763-4a75-8c64-f4121fe423eb none            swap    sw              0       0
    UUID=753C-64F2    /boot/efi    vfat    defaults    0    1

=================== sda2: Location of files loaded by Grub: ====================

GiB - GB             File                                 Fragment(s)

========= Devices which don't seem to have a corresponding hard drive: =========

sdb 

=============================== StdErr Messages: ===============================

cat: /tmp/BootInfo-QEMHzX4o/Tmp_Log: No such file or directory

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION :
    =================== log of boot-repair 2013-10-18__13h53 ===================
    boot-repair version : 3.199~ppa31~raring
    boot-sav version : 3.199~ppa31~raring
    glade2script version : 3.2.2~ppa45~raring
    boot-sav-extra version : 3.199~ppa31~raring
    boot-repair is executed in installed-session (Ubuntu 13.10, saucy, Ubuntu, x86_64)
    CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
    BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.11.0-12-generic root=UUID=72c3c933-a0fc-4237-93ed-51e3c2f47847 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

=================== os-prober:
    /dev/sda2:The OS now in use - Ubuntu 13.10 CurrentSession:linux

=================== blkid:
    /dev/sda1: UUID="753C-64F2" TYPE="vfat"
    /dev/sda2: UUID="72c3c933-a0fc-4237-93ed-51e3c2f47847" TYPE="ext4"
    /dev/sda3: UUID="a2c607e1-5763-4a75-8c64-f4121fe423eb" TYPE="swap"

1 disks with OS, 1 OS : 1 Linux, 0 MacOS, 0 Windows, 0 unknown type OS.

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda'! The util sfdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

=================== /etc/grub.d/ :
    drwxr-xr-x  2 root root     4096 Oct 18 10:35 grub.d
    total 72
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  7850 Oct 10 13:48 00_header
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  5949 Aug 15 04:26 05_debian_theme
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 11479 Oct 10 13:48 10_linux
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 10258 Apr  9  2013 20_linux_xen
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  1798 Jun 17 05:52 20_memtest86+
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 11531 Oct 10 13:48 30_os-prober
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  1426 Apr  9  2013 30_uefi-firmware
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   214 Apr  9  2013 40_custom
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   216 Apr  9  2013 41_custom
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   483 Apr  9  2013 README

=================== /etc/default/grub :

# If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
    # /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
    # For full documentation of the options in this file, see:
    #   info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
    #GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

# Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs
    # This works with Linux (no patch required) and with any kernel that obtains
    # the memory map information from GRUB (GNU Mach, kernel of FreeBSD ...)
    #GRUB_BADRAM="0x01234567,0xfefefefe,0x89abcdef,0xefefefef"

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
    #GRUB_TERMINAL=console

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
    # note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
    # you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
    #GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux
    #GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
    #GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"

# Uncomment to get a beep at grub start
    #GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"

/boot/efi detected in the fstab of sda2: UUID=753C-64F2     (sda1)
    Presence of EFI/Microsoft file detected: /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
    Presence of EFI/Microsoft file detected: /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootx64.efi
    Presence of EFI/Boot file detected: /boot/efi/EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi

efibootmgr -v
    BootCurrent: 000B
    Timeout: 0 seconds
    BootOrder: 000B,000A,0000,0001,0002,0003,0004,0005,0006,0007,0008,0009
    Boot0000  Setup
    Boot0001  Boot Menu
    Boot0002* Removable Drive    030a2400d23878bc820f604d8316c068ee79d25b20699b27e1a34f488e97534d40523c1d
    Boot0003* Hard Drive    030a2400d23878bc820f604d8316c068ee79d25bf5b01cc8ce8e9841b3a8fb94b6dfefee
    Boot0004* USB Storage Device    030a2400d23878bc820f604d8316c068ee79d25b6895f49a99882e4bb0da03ec784d2828
    Boot0005* CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive    030a2400d23878bc820f604d8316c068ee79d25b3750dce1249e1748876bee5d3f25ebfb
    Boot0006* Network    030a2400d23878bc820f604d8316c068ee79d25b6567de8ee595634d842b325e6a43510b
    Boot0007* Network Boot    030a2400d23878bc820f604d8316c068ee79d25b1b7f7356e3475744a9a6ed8e91832083
    Boot0008  Diagnostics
    Boot0009  Change boot mode setting
    Boot000A* Windows Boot Manager    HD(1,800,fa000,9bf887b2-2bf7-485a-9e7c-92f23c9dd34a)File(EFIMicrosoftBootbootmgfw.efi)WINDOWS.........x...B.C.D.O.B.J.E.C.T.=.{.9.d.e.a.8.6.2.c.-.5.c.d.d.-.4.e.7.0.-.a.c.c.1.-.f.3.2.b.3.4.4.d.4.7.9.5.}...H................
    Boot000B* ubuntu    HD(1,800,2f000,4312fd2c-cc34-4875-af0f-3f929579f876)File(EFIubuntugrubx64.efi)
    =================== UEFI/Legacy mode:
    BIOS is EFI-compatible, and is setup in EFI-mode for this installed-session.
    SecureBoot disabled. (maybe sec-boot, Please report this message to boot.repair@gmail.com)

=================== PARTITIONS & DISKS:
    sda2    : sda,    not-sepboot,    grubenv-ok    grub2,    grub-efi ,    update-grub,    64,    with-boot,    is-os,    not--efi--part,    fstab-without-boot,    fstab-has-goodEFI,    no-nt,    no-winload,    no-recov-nor-hid,    no-bmgr,    notwinboot,    apt-get,    grub-install,    with--usr,    fstab-without-usr,    not-sep-usr,    standard,    farbios,    .
    sda1    : sda,    not-sepboot,    no-grubenv    nogrub,    no-docgrub,    no-update-grub,    32,    no-boot,    no-os,    is-correct-EFI,    part-has-no-fstab,    part-has-no-fstab,    no-nt,    no-winload,    no-recov-nor-hid,    no-bmgr,    notwinboot,    nopakmgr,    nogrubinstall,    no---usr,    part-has-no-fstab,    not-sep-usr,    standard,    not-far,    /boot/efi.

sda    : GPT,    no-BIOS_boot,    has-correctEFI,     not-usb,    has-os,    2048 sectors * 512 bytes

=================== parted -l:

Model: ATA ST1000LM024 HN-M (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sda: 1000GB
    Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start   End     Size    File system     Name  Flags
    1      1049kB  99.6MB  98.6MB  fat32                 boot
    2      99.6MB  992GB   992GB   ext4                  msftdata
    3      992GB   1000GB  8440MB  linux-swap(v1)

=================== parted -lm:

BYT;
    /dev/sda:1000GB:scsi:512:512:gpt:ATA ST1000LM024 HN-M;
    1:1049kB:99.6MB:98.6MB:fat32::boot;
    2:99.6MB:992GB:992GB:ext4::msftdata;
    3:992GB:1000GB:8440MB:linux-swap(v1)::;

=================== mount:
    /dev/sda2 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
    sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
    none on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (rw)
    none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
    none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
    none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
    none on /sys/firmware/efi/efivars type efivarfs (rw)
    udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
    devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
    tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,size=10%,mode=0755)
    none on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=5242880)
    none on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
    none on /run/user type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=104857600,mode=0755)
    none on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw)
    /dev/sda1 on /boot/efi type vfat (rw)
    systemd on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,none,name=systemd)
    gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/1000/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=krisper)

=================== ls:
    /sys/block/sda (filtered):  alignment_offset bdi capability dev device discard_alignment events events_async events_poll_msecs ext_range holders inflight power queue range removable ro sda1 sda2 sda3 size slaves stat subsystem trace uevent
    /sys/block/sdb (filtered):  alignment_offset bdi capability dev device discard_alignment events events_async events_poll_msecs ext_range holders inflight power queue range removable ro size slaves stat subsystem trace uevent
    /sys/block/sr0 (filtered):  alignment_offset bdi capability dev device discard_alignment events events_async events_poll_msecs ext_range holders inflight power queue range removable ro size slaves stat subsystem trace uevent
    /dev (filtered):  autofs block bsg btrfs-control bus cdrom char console core cpu cpu_dma_latency disk dri ecryptfs fb0 fd full fuse hidraw0 hidraw1 hpet input kmsg kvm log mapper mcelog mei mem net network_latency network_throughput null port ppp psaux ptmx pts random rfkill roccatkoneplus0 rtc rtc0 rts51x1 sda sda1 sda2 sda3 sdb sg0 sg1 sg2 shm snapshot snd sr0 stderr stdin stdout uinput urandom usb v4l vga_arbiter vhost-net video0 zero
    ls /dev/mapper:  control
    ls /boot/efi/1:

=================== hexdump -n512 -C /dev/sda1
    00000000  eb 58 90 6d 6b 64 6f 73  66 73 00 00 02 01 20 00  |.X.mkdosfs.... .|
    00000010  02 00 00 00 00 f8 00 00  3f 00 ff 00 00 00 00 00  |........?.......|
    00000020  00 f0 02 00 c9 05 00 00  00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00  |................|
    00000030  01 00 06 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |................|
    00000040  00 01 29 f2 64 3c 75 20  20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20  |..).d<u         |
    00000050  20 20 46 41 54 33 32 20  20 20 0e 1f be 77 7c ac  |  FAT32   ...w|.|
    00000060  22 c0 74 0b 56 b4 0e bb  07 00 cd 10 5e eb f0 32  |".t.V.......^..2|
    00000070  e4 cd 16 cd 19 eb fe 54  68 69 73 20 69 73 20 6e  |.......This is n|
    00000080  6f 74 20 61 20 62 6f 6f  74 61 62 6c 65 20 64 69  |ot a bootable di|
    00000090  73 6b 2e 20 20 50 6c 65  61 73 65 20 69 6e 73 65  |sk.  Please inse|
    000000a0  72 74 20 61 20 62 6f 6f  74 61 62 6c 65 20 66 6c  |rt a bootable fl|
    000000b0  6f 70 70 79 20 61 6e 64  0d 0a 70 72 65 73 73 20  |oppy and..press |
    000000c0  61 6e 79 20 6b 65 79 20  74 6f 20 74 72 79 20 61  |any key to try a|
    000000d0  67 61 69 6e 20 2e 2e 2e  20 0d 0a 00 00 00 00 00  |gain ... .......|
    000000e0  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |................|
    000001f0  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 55 aa  |..............U.|

=================== df -Th:

Filesystem     Type      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda2      ext4      909G  4.7G  859G   1% /
    none           tmpfs     4.0K     0  4.0K   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    udev           devtmpfs  3.9G   12K  3.9G   1% /dev
    tmpfs          tmpfs     785M  1.2M  784M   1% /run
    none           tmpfs     5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
    none           tmpfs     3.9G  152K  3.9G   1% /run/shm
    none           tmpfs     100M   52K  100M   1% /run/user
    /dev/sda1      vfat       93M  485K   93M   1% /boot/efi

=================== fdisk -l:

Disk /dev/sda: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders, total 1953525168 sectors
    Disk identifier: 0x78fde4ec

/dev/sda1               1  1953525167   976762583+  ee  GPT

EFI detected. Please check the options.

=================== Recommended repair
    Recommended-Repair
    This setting will reinstall the grub-efi of sda2, using the following options:        sda1/boot/efi,
    Additional repair will be performed: unhide-bootmenu-10s    backup-and-rename-efi-files fake-ms-efi

rm /boot/efi/efi/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi /boot/efi/efi/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi.grb
    rm /boot/efi/efi/Microsoft/Boot/bootx64.efi /boot/efi/efi/Microsoft/Boot/bootx64.efi.grb
    rm /boot/efi/efi/Boot/bootx64.efi /boot/efi/efi/Boot/bootx64.efi.grb
    Mount sda1 on /boot/efi
    ls /boot/efi/1:
    grub-install (GRUB) 2.00-19ubuntu2,grub-install (GRUB) 2.

efibootmgr -v
    Boot0000  Setup
    Boot0001  Boot Menu
    Boot0002* Removable Drive    030a2400d23878bc820f604d8316c068ee79d25b20699b27e1a34f488e97534d40523c1d
    Boot0003* Hard Drive    030a2400d23878bc820f604d8316c068ee79d25bf5b01cc8ce8e9841b3a8fb94b6dfefee
    Boot0004* USB Storage Device    030a2400d23878bc820f604d8316c068ee79d25b6895f49a99882e4bb0da03ec784d2828
    Boot0005* CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive    030a2400d23878bc820f604d8316c068ee79d25b3750dce1249e1748876bee5d3f25ebfb
    Boot0006* Network    030a2400d23878bc820f604d8316c068ee79d25b6567de8ee595634d842b325e6a43510b
    Boot0007* Network Boot    030a2400d23878bc820f604d8316c068ee79d25b1b7f7356e3475744a9a6ed8e91832083
    Boot0008  Diagnostics
    Boot000A* Windows Boot Manager    HD(1,800,fa000,9bf887b2-2bf7-485a-9e7c-92f23c9dd34a)File(EFIMicrosoftBootbootmgfw.efi)WINDOWS.........x...B.C.D.O.B.J.E.C.T.=.{.9.d.e.a.8.6.2.c.-.5.c.d.d.-.4.e.7.0.-.a.c.c.1.-.f.3.2.b.3.4.4.d.4.7.9.5.}...H................
    Boot000B* ubuntu    HD(1,800,2f000,4312fd2c-cc34-4875-af0f-3f929579f876)File(EFIubuntugrubx64.efi)

uname -r
    Kernel: 3.11.0-12-generic

Reinstall the grub-efi of sda2
    Installation finished. No error reported.
    grub-install --efi-directory=/boot/efi --target=x86_64-efi : BootCurrent: 000B
    BootOrder: 000A,0000,0001,0002,0003,0004,0005,0006,0007,0008,0009
    Boot0000  Setup
    Boot0001  Boot Menu
    Boot0002* Removable Drive
    Boot0003* Hard Drive
    Boot0004* USB Storage Device
    Boot0005* CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive
    Boot0006* Network
    Boot0007* Network Boot
    Boot0008  Diagnostics
    Boot000A* Windows Boot Manager
    Boot0000  Setup
    Boot0001  Boot Menu
    Boot0002* Removable Drive
    Boot0003* Hard Drive
    Boot0004* USB Storage Device
    Boot0005* CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive
    Boot0006* Network
    Boot0007* Network Boot
    Boot0008  Diagnostics
    Boot000A* Windows Boot Manager
    Boot000B* ubuntu
    exit code of grub-install :0
    ls /boot/efi/1:
    df /dev/sda1
    cp /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi (& .grb)
    df /dev/sda1
    cp /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootx64.efi (& .grb)
    df /dev/sda1
    cp /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi /boot/efi/EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi (& .grb)
    ls /boot/efi/1:
    Add /boot/efi efi entries in /etc/grub.d/25_custom

efibootmgr -v
    Boot0000  Setup
    Boot0001  Boot Menu
    Boot0008  Diagnostics

efibootmgr -v
    Boot0000  Setup
    Boot0001  Boot Menu
    Boot0008  Diagnostics

update-grub
    Generating grub.cfg ...
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.11.0-12-generic
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.11.0-12-generic
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.8.0-31-generic
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.8.0-31-generic
    Unhide GRUB boot menu in sda2/boot/grub/grub.cfg

Boot successfully repaired.

You can now reboot your computer.

The boot files of [The OS now in use - Ubuntu 13.10] are far from the start of the disk. Your BIOS may not detect them. You may want to retry after creating a /boot partition (EXT4, >200MB, start of the disk). This can be performed via tools such as gParted. Then select this partition via the [Separate /boot partition:] option of [Boot Repair]. (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootPartition)

Beans

Hi, i have a Lenovo ThinkCentre M71 and i Can't install Ubuntu. Even with Boot-Rescue. Doesnt work.
    The EFI doesnt boot.

This is the log from Boot-rescue.

https://db.tt/72dnP4p9

Please help.

Thank you all.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

@Kris_Kealiher
    You only show Linux install. Only your efi partition stil shows Windows boot files. I think you chose the erase entire drive (in RED) option when installing. You also erased the vendor recovery, so you can only restore Windows from your backups. If no backups you may be able to get a recovery DVD (not full installer) to restore system from your vendor for a nominal charge.

@galuquetta
    BootOrder: 0000,0007,0008,000A,0002,0001,0009
    Boot0000* Hard Drive BIOS(2,0,00)Generic Flash Disk 8.07.
    Boot0001* CentOS HD(1,800,64000,e1d767c5-9bd3-47d6-9ed1-c973f9a5e7d1)File(EFIredhatgrub.efi)
    Boot0002* ubuntu HD(1,800,f3800,84c9c383-c2c2-4c83-b077-c6ac97f39380)File(EFIubuntushimx64.efi)

It looks like you are booting in BIOS/CSM mode not UEFI. You need to turn UEFI on, but keep secure boot off and choose the ubuntu entry. Since you have Mint I do not know if entry is from Mint or previous install of Ubuntu?
    Never seen this error, but it seems to be that your UEFI is not correct. Make sure you have downloaded the most current version from vendor. And if error persists, you may be able to manually edit the entry.

chroot /mnt/boot-sav/sda2 efibootmgr -v
    Warning : Boot000a is not EFI 1.10 compliant (lowercase hex in name)
    Warning : please recreate these using efibootmgr to remove this warning.

Page 150 of 235 FirstFirst ... 50100140148149150151152160200 ... LastLast