Page 95 of 235 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105145195 ... LastLast

Thread: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in one click

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

@bcbc
    +1 on Boot-Repair as part of the standard install.

I just think Yann was quicker at figuring out the UEFI issues and coming up with work arounds. Many of the issues have bug reports. But part of the issue is there seems to be no standard UEFI secure boot even though UEFI is the standard. Vendors have modified UEFI to only boot Windows and/or only boot with secure boot on. Those systems need file renaming, but others do not. And a few just do not work.
    Also we have been spoiled by how good os-prober is (was?). Back with grub legacy we had to manually add Windows 7 or any other system to the grub menu, with os-prober it almost always worked. Until UEFI. Os-prober still creates BIOS entries not efi chain load entries for Windows (not sure about anything else). You can manually add those boot stanzas or just run Boot-repair and it adds entries into 25_custom. The bug on os-prober is now very old.
    And there are new different issues with UltraBooks with Intel SRT as that uses RAID and standard Desktop installer does not have RAID drivers. Actually now Ubuntu installs, but grub still does not??
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

@banjobeagle.

Did you see this in your Boot-Repair? You are hibernated.

Failed to mount '/dev/sda4': Operation not permitted
    The NTFS partition is hibernated. Please resume and shutdown Windows
    properly, or mount the volume read-only with the 'ro' mount option, or
    mount the volume read-write with the 'remove_hiberfile' mount option.
    For example type on the command line:

mount -t ntfs-3g -o remove_hiberfile /dev/sda4 /mnt/boot-sav/sda4

WARNING for Windows 8 Dual-Booters
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1953674
    It defaults shutdown to a hybrid hibernation/off state for fast boot
    http://www.kapilarya.com/how-to-enab...p-in-windows-8
    But then files may be corrupted similar to Windows 7 Hibernation:
    http://ubuntu-with-wubi.blogspot.ca/...rid-sleep.html
    http://superuser.com/questions/14472...te-w-dual-boot
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yannbuntu.
    Have you considered posting to the devel mailing list or devel-discuss to ask why it's not being considered? Then at least you get to hear some opinions rather than having them ignore the bug report (which they often do).
    Last edited by bcbc; March 24th, 2013 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Add address due to intermediate edits

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

bcbc,
    I have followed the "official" procedure for inclusion (and lost too much time on it), but please try other ways (ML or else) if you think that can help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Seems like they want it in Debian first. What's the status with that?

Beans

Thanks oldfred, I hadn't spotted the hibernation issue. It seems that when Windows 8 shuts down it only pretends to shut down so that it can reboot faster. I thought I had cracked this by unchecking the "fast-boot" option in Windows settings, but it doesn't seem to have worked. Boot repair reports I am still hibernated (http://paste.ubuntu.com/5644773/). *sigh*

Beans

Thank you oldfredd for all your help. I figured out the entire issue now. I removed the /boot flag from sda5 and it recognizes my recovery image, I factory reset my hdd.

this is where it gets interesting:

when I boot it up I immediately went to my ubuntu live CD to investigate. I opened gparted and there's no /boot flag on sda5 now. I proceeded into windows, set it up, shrank my partition, ran chkdsk for any errors, reboot to Ubuntu LiveCD, open gparted, now there's a /boot flag on sda5

When I remove it Ubuntu detects my windows install. I'll report back if I experience no extra issues. I'm not sure why Ubuntu installer doesn't recognize windows 8 partition with /boot flag but windows is obviously using it for something, Very interesting...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

@relsig
    If you boot in BIOS mode, perhaps it then thinks the boot flag should be on the Windows partition? Windows uses boot flag in BIOS/MBR to know what partition to boot from. But with gpt Windows will only boot in UEFI and from the efi partition. Gparted uses boot flag as the setting to create an efi partition in gpt partitioning, but it really is not the same as a boot flag in MBR(msdos).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    @relsig
    If you boot in BIOS mode, perhaps it then thinks the boot flag should be on the Windows partition? Windows uses boot flag in BIOS/MBR to know what partition to boot from. But with gpt Windows will only boot in UEFI and from the efi partition. Gparted uses boot flag as the setting to create an efi partition in gpt partitioning, but it really is not the same as a boot flag in MBR(msdos).

I'm not sure what was doing it; it only happened after I set up windows, it may be a dell issue or something. Working now. I used the "something else" option, created a / partition a /home partition and a swap partition, installed ubuntu, used boot-repair. All is well (sent from windows 8 that dual-boots ubuntu)

the only issue I have is that there are 8 start entries in grub: ubuntu, windows 8 recovery (boots to windows), windows 8 recovery bootmgr (boots to windows), dell entries for both (one says bootmgr), then 2 for actual recovery partition. Both dell ones give errors and the last two boot to windows recovery.

doesn't matter to me atm though, i'll research how to clean it up later.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You can for now turn off os-prober. Later when they fix the bug, or if you install another system you can turn it back on.

# I add this line to grub configuration or turn off the execute bit on 30_os-prober
    gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub
    GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true
    or turn off executable bit
    sudo chmod a-x /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober
    # Then do:
    sudo update-grub

And you can edit at will any of the extra efi files. Change names to what your want or delete entire stanzas. All the entries in 25_custom were added by Boot-Repair. But someday you may want a grub entry to boot recovery, so save the backup.

sudo cp -a /etc/grub.d/25_custom /etc/grub.d/bkup25_custom
    gksudo gedit /etc/grub.d/25_custom
    Then do:
    sudo update-grub

Page 95 of 235 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105145195 ... LastLast