Page 92 of 219 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142192 ... LastLast

Thread: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in one click

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

rykel,

It's not UEFI - or at least if it is you are booting in CSM mode (equivalent to BIOS). There's no point in running Boot repair if your partition table is messed up. Your testdisk picture should match what your original bootrepair bootinfoscript looked like, except you should have the two missing linux logical partitions shown:
    Code:
    ============================ Drive/Partition Info: =============================

Drive: sda _____________________________________________________________________

Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders, total 976773168 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Partition  Boot  Start Sector    End Sector  # of Sectors  Id System

/dev/sda1    *          2,048   104,859,647   104,857,600   7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS
    /dev/sda2         104,861,694   209,717,247   104,855,554   5 Extended
    -------------------- two missing logical partitions go in here  -------------------<=====
    /dev/sda5         192,929,792   209,717,247    16,787,456  82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sda3         209,717,248   241,174,527    31,457,280  1b Hidden W95 FAT32
    /dev/sda4         241,174,528   976,773,119   735,598,592   7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    Okay...

The first partition (NTFS) should have had the "*" - Primary bootable
    The next three - two linux and one swap - should be "L" - Logical
    The next two - FAT and NTFS - should be "P" primary.

Go back into testdisk and make sure that this is the case.
    Hi bcbc, Your suggestion worked.

I run Boot Repair after a reboot and my GRUB is OK again. Thanks!

Now, just curious, how may I "activate" UEFI booting and make Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.10 to run in UEFI Mode? Indeed, what can I expect out of UEFI Mode?
    RYKEL™ | Google+ OR Skype Name: rykellim

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rykel View Post
    Hi bcbc, Your suggestion worked.

I run Boot Repair after a reboot and my GRUB is OK again. Thanks!

Now, just curious, how may I "activate" UEFI booting and make Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.10 to run in UEFI Mode? Indeed, what can I expect out of UEFI Mode?
    Cool, good to hear it worked out.

In order to boot with UEFI (assuming your computer supports it) you'd need to switch to a GPT (Guid partition table) disk. In other words completely reformat and reinstall everything. I don't know what advantage that would bring.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    Cool, good to hear it worked out.

In order to boot with UEFI (assuming your computer supports it) you'd need to switch to a GPT (Guid partition table) disk. In other words completely reformat and reinstall everything. I don't know what advantage that would bring.
    Haha, that is radical... anyway, I planned to send this system into ASUS for a factory reset and will request the tech guys to make Windows 7 boot with UEFI and I will install & run Ubuntu 12.10 in UEFI mode too. If I find any benefit, I will let you know. Thanks!

btw, pardon me a sidetrack, would you happen to know someone who knows or a thread somewhere which discusses how to solve Bluetooth Mouse lagging problem in Ubuntu 12.10? (this does not happen in Windows 7 on the same hardware)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

rykel, I can't help with the usb mouse, although I googled it and found a bunch of posts so it seems you're not alone. Maybe one of them has answers for you, but I'm not able to say which.

Beans
    Distro

bcbc, Yes I am not alone because Bluetooth Mouse has a real issue in Ubuntu and thanks for helping me with testdisk and Boot Repair. I wish that these 2 "apps" are installed in Ubuntu by default!

Beans
    Distro

Hi bcbc, Sorry to revisit this topic, but I just realised that I would like to HIDE the "Windows and ExpressGate Recovery partition by ASUS" partition as it was originally hidden instead of having it show up in Ubuntu... what partition characteristics should I change it to?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

rykel,

Are you referring to /dev/sda3? If so then your original fdisk output showed it had a partition type of "1b" - Hidden W95 FAT32. So if you run "fdisk -l" and it shows as something different, then you can change it back to that. How to change your partition type? There are probably a number of ways, but one way is sfdisk:

Code:
    sudo sfdisk -c /dev/sda 3 1b
    I'd consult man sfdisk and also note that I don't know how up-to-date sfdisk is. As with any partition table changes, there are some risks.

Beans

Hello,

Hopefully I am posting this in the right place, apologies if not. I am running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and Windows 8 on my HP Pavilion G6 laptop. When I first bought the computer it took me a while to get it running as a dual-boot system, but eventually it worked...until this morning. Windows did some updates yesterday, and now it boots straight into Windows, no GRUB screen appears. I booted using the linux live USB drive I had made when initially installing, and ran boot-repair. This didn't appear to solve the problem, the computer still booted straight to Windows, no GRUB screen.

I am able to boot Ubuntu by pressing Esc when the computer first switches on, pressing F9 for "Boot device options" - this gives me three options: 1) OS boot 2) Ubuntu (Hitachi HTS547575A9E384) 3) Boot from EFI file. By selecting Ubuntu I am taken to the GRUB screen and can load Ubuntu from the list of options as I was previously able to do.

Is anyone able to offer any advice as to how I can get it to load the GRUB screen automatically? The URL I got from boot-repair is http://paste.ubuntu.com/5639490/

Thanks,
    Tim.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@all: recent bug still not solved: Boot-Repair hangs when reinstalling grub-efi on some UEFI systems. Eg http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2128336
    If anybody has an idea, don't hesitate to share it.

Page 92 of 219 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142192 ... LastLast