Page 90 of 235 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140190 ... LastLast

Thread: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in one click

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

Should have noticed the 16GB said Ubuntu on the mount line.

Did you by any chance refresh UEFI/BIOS as that resets to defaults? Then secure boot may be on?
    Not sure why it would not install now?
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I made no changes. I will check the bios though, just to be sure.

Edit: Secure boot is disabled. I see that flashed just before the grub screen and checked in the bios and indeed it is off. I am going to try and run Boot-Repair again. Maybe time has cured all ills?
    Last edited by Nesaskewatch; March 19th, 2013 at 12:16 AM.
    You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it.

Beans
    Distro

Nope. It just sits there and never completes. It will close so the system is responsive. I gave it 20 minutes this time. If I knew what effect other settings have I would start fiddling but I do not want to make things worse. I must repeat: I made no changes whatsoever to anything. I installed Ubuntu to the / partition and did not format the /home, as usual. Ubuntu is booting fine, but my windows drive is not showing up in Grub. I do notice that it no longer asks me to copy/paste the two commands it usually does. At least not since this morning's attempt.
    You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it.

Beans

This tool is soooooooo helpful, it's saved around 3 or 4 ubuntu installations from the wrath of my impatience.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

@
    Nesaskewatch

Your previous BootInfo report only showed the os-prober entries to boot Windows which are the old style BIOS Windows entries and do not work with UEFI. You have to chain load to the efi partition not the install partition.

grub2's os-prober creates wrong style (BIOS) chain boot entry
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...2/+bug/1024383
    type of entry from Boot-Repair that should work.
    'Windows UEFI loader'
    Type of entry that does not work:
    'Windows ...) (on /dev/sdXY)'

Probably better just to turn os-prober off until they fix it.

# I add this line to grub configuration or turn off the execute bit on 30_os-prober
    gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub
    GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true
    or turn off executable bit
    sudo chmod a-x /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober
    # Then do:
    sudo update-grub
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

Fred, I tried your suggestions but neither worked. Boot-Repair just does not complete. It just sits spinning away at "Reinstall Grub. This may take several minutes..." I am doing the repair exactly the same as I did at least 6 times before on this sytem and it worked perfectly each time until today. Blast.

Beans

I have an issue while using Boot-Repair to fix my windows boot issue.

I installed Windows 7 first and then installed ubuntu 12.04, after upgraded ubuntu recently, I can not see windows 7 during the boot, and can not see the windows OS partition in Ubuntu (I can see the other two Windows partitions in Ubuntu)

Here is my BootInfo URL:
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/5627508/

From the URL, it seems that my windows boot partition sda1 became Unknown:

sda1: __________________________________________________ ________________________ File system: Boot sector type: Unknown Boot sector info: Mounting failed: mount: unknown filesystem type ''Anybody can help me with he issue? Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

@Nesaskewatch
    I am out of ideas with Boot-Repair. You can PM Yann & I think in Boot-Repair he lists an email. But he developed Boot-Repair when unemployed, it became popular but now he had a job, so he is spread pretty thin.
    We can try manual updates from the liveCd, but those are really just running the same commands as Boot-Repair is doing in background. But it may tell us an error that we do not otherwise see in background.
    Post latest link to BootInfo.

@everiori
    I would use a Windows 7 repairCD and run chkdsk on your sda1. Boot-Repair cannot run chkdsk as that is Windows only.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for trying Fred. I am now looking to simply remove Ubuntu so I can boot into windows. I really need to get into 8 and will try to figure out how to get it to dual boot later. ( I started a thread on that subject in general help) Right now I need to do my taxes which means I need to get into windows. I have a seperate /home drive so I wont lose anything I have in Ubuntu, which isn't much anyway. And I cannot get boot-repair to finish and provide me with a useful boot-info link.

Here is what I get without running boot-repair: http://paste.ubuntu.com/5628375
    Last edited by Nesaskewatch; March 19th, 2013 at 04:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I see boot-repair offers an option to make windows the default os. Would that get me back into windows? I would even be happy to completely remove Ubuntu as running it is like trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole with this hardware. I am just not capable of fixing the system on my own and really dislike being such a nuisance.

Page 90 of 235 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140190 ... LastLast