Page 7 of 221 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 2203

Thread: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in one click

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    France
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Arrow Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 clic !

    Yes, I received your email with the TAR. (I replied to it). It concerns your test with V3 beta2.

    Now please test v3 beta3, which is indeed the new packages I just uploaded in the PPA (you can check that you have the last versions by checking the versions that are currently in the PPA here: https://launchpad.net/~yannubuntu/+a...-dev/+packages )

    To get v3 Beta3, just update your packages (if you use it form an installed session), or reinstall the PPA-dev+the packages (if you test from a live-CD).

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Mass, not this one E=MC^2
    Beans
    258
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 clic !

    SS#1 This is showing that I have the boot flag set on this partition I assume

    SS#4 Please explain, and grub configuration from current partition I assume

    SS#2 Only shows two other Distros, shouldn't it be listing all of them??

    And if I select sda6 to boot from where I am at now, the next time around I will not have an option to boot into sda2 of which there is no distro, now if I place a kernel in that partition even though there is not an OS located there should/would it be added to this list??


    I am going to try that right now and then run your software, I assume that is what it searches for, am I correct?

    No. still the same just three sda6,9,12
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JASONFUSARO; July 24th, 2011 at 06:02 PM.
    The true value of a human being
    is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self.
    - Albert Einstein Ideas and Opinions

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Mass, not this one E=MC^2
    Beans
    258
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 clic !

    I selected apply and after it ran I checked to see if it renamed my boot directory and it didn't SS#1

    I rebooted

    I got the following boot menu:

    Ubuntu with Linux 2.6.39.3 ------------------> Kernel Panic
    Previous Linux versions ------------------> SUB MENU
    Memory test I did not select
    Windows Vista (loader) ------------------ > AOK
    Gentoo Base System release 2.0.2 on sda10 ----------> this is TooroxGnome64bit Explanation #1
    Unknown Linux distribution on sda11 -------------> Puppy AOK
    Ubuntu with Linux 2.6.38-10-generic sda12 ---------> Zorin AOK
    SAME AS ABOVE
    Unetbootin on sda12 ----^ rebooted don't know why this was found
    Slackware on sda14 --------------------------> kernel panic
    Zorin on sda14 -----------> did not select this is an error slackware is on 14
    Chakra Linux sda5 --------------------------> same as Toorox Explanation #1
    Arch Linux on sda7 --------------------------------> CtkArch AOK
    Arch1 on sda8 --------------------------------> ArchBang same as Toorox & Chakra Explanation #1
    Ubuntu 2.6.35-30 sda9 -----------------------> Ultimate Edition AOK

    SUB MENU
    Ubuntu 2.6.38-10 --------------------> UbuntuStudio64 AOK WHERE I AM RIGHT NOW
    Ubuntu 2.6.38-8 --------------------> did not select


    Question:
    Why did it not find UbuntuStudio64 kernel 3.0.0 (it is named bzImage-3.0)



    Explanation #1

    ArchBang, Chakra and Toorox home folders are located on partition #13 DistroHood, but were not placed there during an install, they have to be mounted.


    I then emailed you the clean results and a boot info script


    You asked if lib32 or lib64

    Distro lib32 lib34
    Puppy N N
    Toorox Y Y
    UbuntuStudio Y Y
    Zorin Y Y
    Slackware N Y
    Chakra N Y
    CtkArch N Y
    ArchBang N Y
    Ultimate Edition N Y


    In your email you asked if os-prober was working, the executable is set


    The next thread will detail getting back to booting off sda2
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The true value of a human being
    is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self.
    - Albert Einstein Ideas and Opinions

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Mass, not this one E=MC^2
    Beans
    258
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 clic !

    Fifth run

    I selected restore MBR SS#!

    I was unsure of those codes in parens SS#2 please explain

    My selection SS#3-4 MBR sda2



    Screen after run SS#5



    I then rebooted (see next thread for results)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The true value of a human being
    is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self.
    - Albert Einstein Ideas and Opinions

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Mass, not this one E=MC^2
    Beans
    258
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 clic !

    Then FEAR set in!!! My Heart rate shot up I started to sweat all sorts of horrible thoughts raced through my head when I seen screenshot #1 especially when I got it twice!!


    I then reached for that USB boot hat I made earlier SS#2

    and in a couple of seconds I felt a little better when I seen SS#3



    and SS#4 brought on a relaxing calmness



    now to figure out what went wrong?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The true value of a human being
    is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self.
    - Albert Einstein Ideas and Opinions

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    France
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 clic !

    Hi
    Quote Originally Posted by JASONFUSARO View Post
    I just dowloaded it but nowhere does it specify version info which would be helpful.
    You can check your packages versions via Synaptic for example.

    Quote Originally Posted by JASONFUSARO View Post
    SS#1 This is showing that I have the boot flag set on this partition I assume
    No, you don't have to care for your current boot flag position. Boot-Repair will re-set the boot flag if necessary.


    Quote Originally Posted by JASONFUSARO View Post
    SS#4 Please explain, and grub configuration from current partition I assume
    The "GRUB options" tab's purpose is to let the user edit the /etc/defaults/grub file of the OS selected in the "GRUB location" tab.
    So mainly to add kernel options.

    If you click on the button "Edit GRUB configuration file", you will see that it edits the /etc/defaults/grub file of the OS selected in your "GRUB location" tab.


    Quote Originally Posted by JASONFUSARO View Post
    SS#2 Only shows two other Distros, shouldn't it be listing all of them?
    For the moment, Boot-repair can only reinstall GRUB into the Linux using apt. Support for other distros is a feature that I wish to implement, but this is long-term view and I will need help.


    Quote Originally Posted by JASONFUSARO View Post
    And if I select sda6 to boot from where I am at now, the next time around I will not have an option to boot into sda2 of which there is no distro, now if I place a kernel in that partition even though there is not an OS located there should/would it be added to this list?
    Please refer to the email I sent you this morning: the "Place GRUB into" and "Force GRUB into" is for "GRUB stage1".
    What you are thinking about is the location of grub.cfg.
    Last edited by YannBuntu; July 25th, 2011 at 02:00 AM.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    France
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release
    Quote Originally Posted by JASONFUSARO View Post
    I selected apply and after it ran I checked to see if it renamed my boot directory and it didn't
    Perfect. This bug is fixed.

    Quote Originally Posted by JASONFUSARO View Post
    I got the following boot menu:

    Ubuntu with Linux 2.6.39.3 ------------------> Kernel Panic
    Previous Linux versions ------------------> SUB MENU
    Memory test I did not select
    Windows Vista (loader) ------------------ > AOK
    Gentoo Base System release 2.0.2 on sda10 ----------> this is TooroxGnome64bit Explanation #1
    Unknown Linux distribution on sda11 -------------> Puppy AOK
    Ubuntu with Linux 2.6.38-10-generic sda12 ---------> Zorin AOK
    SAME AS ABOVE
    Unetbootin on sda12 ----^ rebooted don't know why this was found
    Slackware on sda14 --------------------------> kernel panic
    Zorin on sda14 -----------> did not select this is an error slackware is on 14
    Chakra Linux sda5 --------------------------> same as Toorox Explanation #1
    Arch Linux on sda7 --------------------------------> CtkArch AOK
    Arch1 on sda8 --------------------------------> ArchBang same as Toorox & Chakra Explanation #1
    Ubuntu 2.6.35-30 sda9 -----------------------> Ultimate Edition AOK

    SUB MENU
    Ubuntu 2.6.38-10 --------------------> UbuntuStudio64 AOK WHERE I AM RIGHT NOW
    Ubuntu 2.6.38-8 --------------------> did not select


    Question:
    Why did it not find UbuntuStudio64 kernel 3.0.0 (it is named bzImage-3.0)



    Explanation #1

    ArchBang, Chakra and Toorox home folders are located on partition #13 DistroHood, but were not placed there during an install, they have to be mounted.


    I then emailed you the clean results and a boot info script
    ok, I will have a look. Thanks.





    Quote Originally Posted by JASONFUSARO View Post
    You asked if lib32 or lib64

    Distro lib32 lib34
    Puppy N N
    Toorox Y Y
    UbuntuStudio Y Y
    Zorin Y Y
    Slackware N Y
    Chakra N Y
    CtkArch N Y
    ArchBang N Y
    Ultimate Edition N Y
    Thanks also for this check.
    Last edited by YannBuntu; July 25th, 2011 at 02:33 AM.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Mass, not this one E=MC^2
    Beans
    258
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 clic !

    As I stand now I get a boot menu with Vista option higlighted and the time ticking, if I select an arrow down the timer stops and then it is stuck can't move to select any option, can press e to edit or ctrl-c to get to Grub > and back again but only to same stuck option.

    I entered some commands but have not rebooted yet to see results, have been viewing threads and such.
    The true value of a human being
    is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self.
    - Albert Einstein Ideas and Opinions

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    France
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 clic !

    [QUOTE=JASONFUSARO;11082219]Then FEAR set in!!! My Heart rate shot up I started to sweat all sorts of horrible thoughts raced through my head when I seen screenshot #1 especially when I got it twice!!

    This is normal: you restored a generic MBR and chose to make it boot sda2:


    Maybe this could have worked if you had installed the stage1 of your GRUB into sda2. Remark : you cannot do this action via Boot-Repair.


    Quote Originally Posted by JASONFUSARO View Post
    As I stand now I get a boot menu with Vista option higlighted and the time ticking, if I select an arrow down the timer stops and then it is stuck can't move to select any option, can press e to edit or ctrl-c to get to Grub > and back again but only to same stuck option.
    Try to boot your live-CD , install Boot-Repair , and repair (default option should work fine, if not choose "Purge GRUB" in the Advanced options). And as explained before, DON'T select "Force GRUB".
    Last edited by YannBuntu; July 25th, 2011 at 02:53 AM.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Mass, not this one E=MC^2
    Beans
    258
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 clic !

    [QUOTE=YannBuntu;11082714]
    Quote Originally Posted by JASONFUSARO View Post
    Then FEAR set in!!! My Heart rate shot up I started to sweat all sorts of horrible thoughts raced through my head when I seen screenshot #1 especially when I got it twice!!

    This is normal: you restored a generic MBR and chose to make it boot sda2:


    Maybe this could have worked if you had installed the stage1 of your GRUB into sda2. Remark : you cannot do this action via Boot-Repair.




    Try to boot your live-CD , install Boot-Repair , and repair (default option should work fine, if not choose "Purge GRUB" in the Advanced options).


    Thats what I have done, just have not rebooted yet, thought I did it before but might have missed something.
    Still scanning posts.

    I am also getting ready to install to more Distros Zenwalk and Fusion Linux for the software design capabilities.
    The true value of a human being
    is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self.
    - Albert Einstein Ideas and Opinions

Page 7 of 221 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •