Page 69 of 220 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179119169 ... LastLast

Thread: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in one click

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    We have too many in one thread with boot issues but everyone is different. Much better to have your own thread.

@bpb_21
    You are showing this:

Did you have RAID on this drive? Ubuntu did not used to install at all to drives with left over meta-data.
    Oops - I sure did have this drive on a RAID array at one time. I went back and removed the meta data from this drive, then re-ran the Boot-Repair program, and everything works fine now! I should have caught that; but thanks for pointing it out! Makes me wonder how I installed the OS in the first place...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

@bpb_21
    At least one got solved.

It used to be that Ubuntu would not install if the RAID metadata was seen. I think that the new version 12.10 may start including RAID drivers as they are doing away with the alternative installer. Not sure in 12.04 how it worked.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Arrow Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

@all: please each of you, create your own thread THERE, and just give us the link to your thread here.

Quote Originally Posted by trogdor1138 View Post
    why mess with the /EFI/Microsoft directory?
    Answer is in the bottom of the post (after the "Why?") : http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=637

I ran your boot-info script as you asked; check out the results here: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1418070/

You'll see indications of both GPT and MBR behavior. Both OS X and Kubuntu are running in EFI and are GPT-aware. Windows 8 is running in BIOS and is blissfully ignorant of the GPT disk. Each operating system can be booted directly, and none of them chainload any other. I'm not using rEFIt/rEFInd but prefer to use the stock, simple Apple boot manager.
    Interesting! So when booting the PC, you see the Apple bootmanager that gives you 3 choices?
    --------------------> MacOS
    --------------------> Windows
    --------------------> grub-efi --> Ubuntu

Code:
    outb 0x728 1 
    outb 0x710 2 
    outb 0x740 2 
    outb 0x750 0
    What is that for?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Moved hnsilva's post to this thread since no other comment here yet.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2093437
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    We have too many in one thread with boot issues but everyone is different. Much better to have your own thread.

@Shoushouwhatwhat
    Does Windows boot from UEFI menu directly?
    I have opened up a new thread as requested:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12399325

@ oldfred
    I actually didn't know that we could boot from UEFI menu, I thought it was just for setting changes to booting. How do we boot from UEFI menu directly?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Not going to start my own thread because the problem has been fixed - by turning off secure boot and re-running boot-repair; a bunch of new stuff was installed, and it finally worked after that. But now I have no secure boot... but I don't care.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Exclamation Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

@all:
    quick explanations about how to use Boot-Repair on UEFI systems:

First of all, try the "Recommended Repair" button.
    - B-R will automatically detect if grub-pc or grub-efi (or grub Legacy) is needed
    - if grub-efi is needed, it will automatically detect if a signed boot is needed or not (SecureBoot)
    - by default, the "Backup and rename EFI files" option is ticked. As explained here, this option duplicates grubx64.efi in 2 places: /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi and /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi . This allos to be sure that the BIOS will boot into GRUB at next reboot, even if the BIOS doesn't allow to boot on /efi/ubuntu/grubx64.efi , and by commodity this avoids the user to modify the BIOS. Of course, if these files already existed, B-R renames them first (by adding them a .bkp extension).

After the Recommended Repair, the user reboots its PC, and sees the GRUB menu with access to Ubuntu, and generally 2 additional entries:
    - Windows UEFI (/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi.bkp)
    - Windows Boot UEFI ( /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi.bkp)

Generally, these 2 entries boot Windows without any problem.

But on some systems, they don't boot Windows. Example: http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic...9311#p11879311 . In this case, here is what to do:
    1) if your PC has/had Windows8 preinstalled, go into the BIOS, and , if possible, disable the SecureBoot and the QuickBoot. Then redo the Recommended Repair of Boot-Repair. This often works (example: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=686 ).
    If still none of the 2 Windows entries work, continue next steps.

2) restorer the bkp via Boot-Repair --> Advanced options --> untick "Backup and rename EFI files" --> tick "Restore EFI backups" --> Apply . This will restore the 2 bkp files to their original place (/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi et /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi ) , and this will update the 2 Windows entries in GRUB:
    - Windows UEFI (/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi)
    - Windows Boot UEFI ( /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi)

3) then reboot the PC. If the BIOS hadn't been changed (it is setup to boot on /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi or /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi ), this will directly boot Windows.

4) then setup the BIOS so that it boots on the Ubuntu entry (/efi/ubuntu/grubx64.efi) . This will make the GRUB menu appear, with access to Ubuntu and the 2 Windows entries:
    - Windows UEFI (/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi)
    - Windows Boot UEFI ( /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi)

5) If you can't boot Windows via these GRUB entries, but that you can boot Windows directly via the Windows entry of the BIOS, then it is probably a security of Windows that doesn't like to be booted via GRUB , in this case I can't do anything, and you need to setup your BIOS each time you want to boot another OS.

(FYI, i have just started a new job after 1 year of unemployment, so I may have less time to help FOSS users)
    Last edited by YannBuntu; December 15th, 2012 at 07:36 PM.

Beans

Hello,
    Here is the thread with post of my problem:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12406555

I'll keep reading to see if there is something else I need to provide. Thanks for your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Update manager is trying to update boot repair but failing. see image(something about no changelog)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:Ubuntu 14.04TrustyTahr with Cinnamon DE Boot: EFI File System:EXT4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

thanks for posting a nice share.

Page 69 of 220 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179119169 ... LastLast