Page 66 of 235 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116166 ... LastLast

Thread: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in one click

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

@smulla : instead of Boot-Repair-Disk, please burn a Ubuntu-Secure-Remix ISO to your pendrive, then boot on it and use Boot-Repair from it.

Beans

Looks like the DVD works

Thanks a million!

It was just the pen drive problem!

Now I have a tool I can keep as a backup

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@all: still some problems when creating Windows UEFI entries. This should be fixed with boot-repair 3.195~ppa21 (in ~2 hours: https://launchpad.net/~yannubuntu/+a...+build/4032555 )

REMINDER: Please make sure that all packages have a green check on this page: https://launchpad.net/~yannubuntu/+a...pair/+packages , before updating and using Boot-Repair !
    Last edited by YannBuntu; December 4th, 2012 at 06:57 PM.

Beans

Hello,

Trying to install Ubuntu 12.10 beside W8 Pro on a Lenovo X230 with EFI and Secure Boot.
    No problem with Ubuntu, but W8 did not start. I got a lot of errors. I used Boot-Repair and I got this boot info http://paste.ubuntu.com/1412284/
    I did the recommandations and I got this new one boot info : http://paste.ubuntu.com/1412433/

Unfortunately, it does'nt work. At least, Ubuntu is still Ok, but when I choose the "Windows UEFI loader" in the boot menu, I got :
    Code:
    /EndEntire
    file path:  /ACPI(a031d0,0)/PCI(2,1f)/Unknownmessaging(12)/HD(2,1f4800,82000,b3f9756612b95345,bd,d4)/File(\\EFI\Microsoft\Boot)/File(bootmgfw.efi.bkp)/EndEntire
    error: cannot load image
    Boot-Repair created a second line for Windows in the boot menu : "Windows Boot UEFI bootx64.efi.bkp" but I got quite the same thing:
    Code:
    /EndEntire
    file path: /ACPI(a031d0,0)/PCI(2,1f)/Unknownmessaging(12)/HD(2,1f4800,82000,b3f9756612b95345,bd,d4)/File(\\EFI\Boot)/File(bootx64.efi.bkp)/EndEntire
    error: cannot load image
    Any idea ?

At the end of the last boot info, there is "
    Please do not forget to make your BIOS boot on sda2/EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi file!

With gparted, I verified that sda2 has the boot flag. It is ok, but how to know if it point to the good file ?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

To update my boot problem, thanks again for your help Yannbuntu (and oldfred), your boot repair tool has worked perfectly! I've been able to recover my missing data and upgrade from 11.10 to 12.04 Precise on my problem machine. I'm delighted!

I still can't boot up XP (Home) however. The ONLY thing I use XP for is Skype (I've been trying for years to get this to work properly on Ubuntu!). Can anybody help me with this XP boot problem please?

According to the new BootInfo summary, the XP boot is apparently ok. Here it is:
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/1412782/

Just to recap from previous posts: this hard disk just has 2 partitions, one for 12.04 Precise and the other for XP.

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

@greenewbie
    BootInfo report is not showing any real issues with XP. Partition is shown, and you have the 3 boot files. Boot.ini looks correct.
    Sometimes it just needs chkdsk from a Windows CD, sometimes just replacing ntldr and ntdetect.com Beyond that is Windows showing any errors on a blue screen? That can provide clues to issues.

If files are still missing you can do this to copy from CD to C:\:
    COPY [CDDRIVE]:\I386\NTLDR C:\
    COPY [CDDRIVE]:\I386\NTDETECT.COM C:\
    Where [CDDrive] is location of cd or D: etc.
    or:
    Can you boot into Ubuntu? If so you can mount your Windows drive and navigate to C:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder and copy
    ntdetect.com and ntldr to root of C:\.

Boot files may need attributes also from Windows repair console:
    attrib +r c:\filename
    attrib +h c:\filename
    attrib +s c:\filename
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Arrow Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

@MichelT: welcome among us ! I've just uploaded a new version of Boot-Repair in the PPA. Please retry in ~4h.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    @greenewbie

Can you boot into Ubuntu? If so you can mount your Windows drive and navigate to C:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder and copy
    ntdetect.com and ntldr to root of C:\.
    @ oldfred

Thanks for your detailed advice! Although my XP installation is authentic, alas I don't have a CD for it...(but I dare say I could get hold of one eventually, if need be).

After clicking on the XP home option in the GRUB2 menu, all I get is a flashing cursor on a black screen...

I fear that after having recently put in a more powerful RAM chip into my machine (I know marginally more about hardware than software ), do you think I may have put a spanner in the works?!

If you think an IT-dummy can work through your technical recommendations, then I'd like to give it a go! But if you think it looks like a minefield, and it would be much easier via a XP CD, then please say so, thanks.

But to reiterate: yes I can boot up Ubuntu on this HDD, no problem now...at almost lightning speed!

I can open the partition for XP (labelled as "45GB filesystem") in my home folder, no problem. I've found the ntdetect.com and ntldr files (in the ServicePackFiles\i386 folder) but alas I have absolutely no idea how to copy them to the root of C:\

Copy = CTRL + C....right? But I wouldn't know the root of C:\ if it hit me on the nose ! How difficult is it for a novice to do that?

Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

The root of c: is the top level of that partition. Of course in Linux it is not c:. You should have those files there already and just copy over them.

But I think chkdsk is more important. And that only runs from Windows.

You can try running ntfsfix, but is really does minimal repairs, but should turn on chkdsk flag so Windows runs that if its booting gets that far.
    sudo ntfsfix /dev/sda1

I have run chkdsk from a Windows 7 repairCD actually USB flash drive. Do you have access to any other Windows to make a repairCD?
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by YannBuntu View Post
    @MichelT: welcome among us ! I've just uploaded a new version of Boot-Repair in the PPA. Please retry in ~4h.
    Thanks for your work.

But same as yesterday. You can see the new BootInfo before reparation at http://paste.ubuntu.com/1414655/ and after here http://paste.ubuntu.com/1414662/

I get the same messages for W8, and Ubuntu is ok.

I think there is no link, but I saw in the first part of the paste file that sda10 is "unknown filesystem type" (line 100) despite it's well recognized in the guid partition table line 141.

I also dicovered that boot-repair added an "ubuntu" entry in the boot priority order of the "bios" setup. But I think it's normal.
    Thanks

Page 66 of 235 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116166 ... LastLast