Page 53 of 220 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast

Thread: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in one click

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Arrow Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

@goldie1: you have a kernel problem, this is a serious issue, and you may have other damaged system files. If I were you, I would fix the system files this way: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuReinstallation

Quote Originally Posted by goldie1 View Post
    P.S: Sorry for eventual misspellings, english is not my first language.
    No problem, it's not mine either

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@all: some users reported problems (infinite loop at startup, strange windows..) after updating Boot-Repair yesterday. I think this is due to the fact that the PPA took several hours to build some packages. Now the PPA is ok, so you can solve the problem by updating the "boot-sav" and "boot-repair" packages:
    - connect internet, then type the following command in a terminal:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair boot-sav
    Altenatively, you can use a Boot-Repair-Disk or Ubuntu-Secure disk.

Beans

Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

I had a problem of initially my laptop going into grub rescue prompt.With some commands i could continue loading ubuntu/windows.
    I repaired it with boot-repair but and the problem was solved but now when i try to start windows it says
    "BOOTMGR is Compressed"
    press Alt+Ctrl+Del to restart.

Following are the log generated when i ran boot repair three times.

http://paste.ubuntu.com/1191588/
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/1191928/
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/1191932/

Please help

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

@alokmandloi
    Yann knows Boot-Repair, but I see several issues, to get you started on fixes.

Extended partition linking to another extended partition.

sda3: _________________________________________

File system: ntfs
    Boot sector type: Windows Vista/7: NTFS
    Boot sector info: No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
    Operating System: Windows 7
    Boot files: /grldr /bootmgr /Boot/BCD
    /Windows/System32/winload.exe /grldr

/dev/sda3 fuseblk 75G 73G 1.9G 98% /mnt/boot-sav/sda3

The sda3 (Windows 7) partition is still full. This can prevent to start it (e.g. you may get a Power Manager error).

An error occurred during the repair.
    Any partition error will prevent a lot of system utilities from working. I think you may need to fix that first. I do not see the issue but it may just be the internal partition table linking of extended & logical partitions. Download this and see what it says about your table if it looks ok let it write the updates. Be sure to have the backup of the table first.

First backup partition table, use your drive for sdX or sda, sdb etc.
    sudo sfdisk -d /dev/sda > parts_sda.txt

Fixparts - Repair broken partition tables (not overlapping issues) & delete Stray gpt data from MBR drives
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1705325
    http://www.rodsbooks.com/fixparts/

You have either two files or folders /grldr which I think is from grub4dos. Are they there for any reason? Windows normally should not have those files.

Windows NTFS partitions really need 30% free to work well. At 20% free they slow down and at 10% just about stop working. You only have 2%. Did you shrink Windows too much. I thought most utilities did not allow that???
    Oldfred on vacation. Back Sept 9. Will not have much if any Internet access.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hello
    @alokmandloi: please run Boot-Repair, click "Advanced options", tick the "Restore MBR" option, apply. Indicate the new URL. Reboot.
    - If the PC boots directly into Windows with no error, then that means that the "BOOTMGR is Compressed" error is due to a problem in GRUB (grub.cfg file), and we need to create a bug report for GRUB devs.
    - If you get the "BOOTMGR is Compressed" error, then the problem is located inside Windows partition, and I would recommend to follow Oldfred's suggestion to freed some space on the Windows partition. Also try fixing bootmgr via a Windows repair CD ("fixboot" command).

In both cases, tell us what you observe, then use the "Recommended repair" to get back access to Ubuntu.

Beans

Good morning all, I have a problem after using Boot Repair.

I run and old version of Ubuntu 7.04 on a single disk machine. I also set up a USB drive to run the latest Versions to avoid messing up the original.

However after running Boot Repair to repair the USB version 12.04 the original drive reports missing OS, Insert disk.

So the question is can I Undo what I did using boot repair?

King regards
    Greame

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@Greame: hello. B-R keeps backups of everything so yes you should be able to undo anything. But without more information I can't tell more. Please run B-R, click "Advanced options", then the "Backup partition tables.." button, save the ZIP file somewhere, then attach it to your reply, so that we know exactly what you did.

Also, for information 7.04 is obsolete since 2008...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

A BIG THANKS to gdell, who helped improving the RAID function of Boot-Repair:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...49&postcount=8

@all RAID users: from now, Boot-Repair-Disk won't work for you, it will ask you to run Boot-Repair from a Ubuntu or Ubuntu-Secure disk.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Exclamation Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

@all: sorry I uploaded a broken package 10h ago (boot-sav3.193ppa7 package) in the PPA. Consequence: text won't appear in some windows.
    Please wait for all new packages to be ready in the PPA (all packages should be green in this page), then update Boot-Repair.
    Last edited by YannBuntu; September 12th, 2012 at 10:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks for the heads up, and for the priceless and utterly fantastic package. I can't tell you how many times this package has been the ultimate tool in troubleshooting and fixing problems. Outstanding!!!

Page 53 of 220 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast