Page 218 of 234 FirstFirst ... 118168208216217218219220228 ... LastLast
Results 2,171 to 2,180 of 2332

Thread: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in one click

Beans

Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in one click

Hello everyone!

I'm not new to linux but I am to Ubuntu. I've converted my friend from XP to Ubuntu 14.04 today and everything seemed fine,
    Everything besides the fact that XP doesn't show up on GRUB. I tried everything I know and i'm asking for your help as he still needs to boot into XP for his work

This is the url generated by boot-fix: http://paste.ubuntu.com/7737332/

Please help me as soon as possible.
    Thank you very much,
    Ariel

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Windows XP needs three files to boot and it looks like you are missing boot.ini.
    WinXP
    /boot.ini /ntldr /NTDETECT.COM

From a Windows repair console:

BOOTCFG /rebuild # rebuilds boot.ini

But it really is just a text file. If you have to create it from Ubuntu be sure to use an editor that will save with Windows line endings not Linux line endings or else it will not work.

A discussion about the Bootcfg command and its uses fix boot.ini
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291980
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixthe...airbootini.htm

Mostly about other issues:

How to fix XP/Vista/7 when the boot files are missing meierfra
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...#post5726832#4

But XP is not supported by Microsoft anymore, so do not use XP when connected to Internet.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair - Updated Mar 2015:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thanks oldfred, it was indeed the boot.ini. I just created it and with os-detect everything worked!

Beans

No Marcio, not yet. Now I do not wanna dual boot, I am content with just running ubuntu just right. I ran out of time to search. and support asus said nothing about anything. I'm just looking for how to install ubuntu. That you did?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcio_Moraes View Post
    Hi Laos, i have the same problem as you, have you solved this issue?

Regs,

Marcio Moraes

Beans

http://paste.ubuntu.com/7756694/
    So I have this going for me. Everything was supposed to go perfectly, and Ubuntu loads fine but when I try to log into windows 7 it shows me standard screen about "failing to start due to recent software and hardware changes" with two options to try to repair and to load normally, both end up back in GRUB a few seconds after I tried googling, boot-repair did not help, in fact nothing at all has changed, TBH I am at a loss... Of course I've got backup at hand but I really want to try Ubuntu on a real machine (Used VirtualBox before)

Thank you in advance for your help!

Beans

Hello here!

I am somewhat new to Ubuntu.

I have installed in my PC Windows 7 (64-bit). I later installed Bio-Linux 7 (which is based on Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS), as dual boot according to the installation guide.

After the Ubuntu installation I booted in Ubuntu with GRUB did the updates and rebooted. After the reboot, i could only boot in Windows. I have tried to reinstall it, and following many guides from the forums here and in askubuntu but with no avail.

I finally found out about boot-repair, and I downloaded it and installed it using a Live-USB. After pressing the recommended repair i was provided with the following commands:

Code:
    sudo chroot "/mnt/boot-sav/sda5" dpkg --configure -a
    sudo chroot "/mnt/boot-sav/sda5" apt-get install -fy
    sudo chroot "/mnt/boot-sav/sda5" apt-get purge -y --force-yes grub* shim-signed
    after entering the third command the terminal returned:
    Code:
    zsh: no matches found grub*
    I pressed in the boot-repair window "Forward" but it keeps telling me: "GRUB is still present. Please try again."

This is the url generated by boot-fix is: http://paste.ubuntu.com/7766983/

I haven't tried anything in the Advance Options as recommended.

Please I really need your help as I have tried anything I could.

Thank you in advance,

Christos

P.S. I also have tried 2 different realeases of EasyBCD but neither of them worked.

Beans

Hello. I've used Linux (Debian and Mint) before, but my friend suggested I try Ubuntu.
    My computer currently has Windows 8.1 on it, and I created some free space on the drive to dual-boot ubuntu. I have successfully dual-booted windows 8.1 and Mint 16 on my mom's laptop, but when I tried it on my desktop with Ubuntu 14.04 and restarted my computer, the grub bootloader didn't appear and windows 8.1 started right up. My friend told me to look into boot-repair. I ran boot-repair on the live cd session and followed all the instructions but it keeps erroring.
    Here's the boot-info link http://paste.ubuntu.com/7767312/
    I recently completely reinstalled my Windows 8.1 a couple months ago so if the easiest option is to reinstall it again I'm easily willing to. The only things I would lose are programs which I can easily download again

Please help me and thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Streakstar; July 8th, 2014 at 09:23 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

@eugenez2
    You have Ubuntu & Windows installed in UEFI boot mode on sda with gpt partitioning. But your sdb is MBR (msdos) partitioned.
    Can you directly boot Windows from UEFI menu? Grub really only boots a working Windows and if it was hibernated or has other issues it needs to be directly booted.

@Christos_Ch

Both Windows and Ubuntu are installed in BIOS boot mode. And it shows you booted Live installer in UEFI mode to run Boot-Repair. You must always be in BIOS Mode.
    You have Windows boot loader in MBR, so that is all that will boot. If you boot Live system in BIOS mode and use Boot-Repair to install grub2's boot loader to the MBR then Ubuntu should work.

@Streakstar
    You have Windows installed in UEFI boot mode, but Ubuntu is installed in BIOS boot mode. You can dual boot, but only from UEFI and may have to turn on/off UEFI or BIOS mode to boot system installed in that mode.
    Boot-Repair can convert an Ubuntu BIOS install to UEFI boot mode, just be uninstall grub-pc for BIOS and install grub-efi for UEFI boot.
    Make sure you have Windows fast boot off. See also caution in link in my signature if you want to reinstall Ubuntu.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thanks for the quick reply, though I don't quite understand what you're suggesting I do to fix my problem. I first turned off fast-boot like you said, then I opened the live cd again. I looked through the boot-repair options for a bios/uefi option and couldn't find one. I do get the error of "The boot of your PC is in Legacy mode. You may want to retry after changing it to EFI mode." But I'm not quite sure what that is asking. I assumed it was just showing that because I'm using the "try ubuntu" live session.
    From what I do understand, I need to install grub-efi instead of grub-pc, I went through boot-repair again paying more attention. When I first turn on boot-repair and it scans, it says "EFI detected. Please check the options." and when it installs grub the package it installs is grub-efi-amd64-signed, which seems correct since my processor is a 64x amd processor.
    Not sure if anything I've done while trying to fix it has done anything, but if it has, here's a new boot-info file http://paste.ubuntu.com/7768936/

Again, thanks for the quick reply and thanks in advance for any future help.

edit: Something I meant to mention but forgot. When I was going through boot-repair, it seemed to install the grub-efi-amd64-signed to /dev/sda7, the primary partition where my ubuntu is stored. However when I installed ubuntu it asked me to make a 1mb partition for grub, which I did as the /dev/sda5 partition. Not sure if that would be a problem, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
    Last edited by Streakstar; July 9th, 2014 at 07:30 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

@Streakstar
    BIOS and UEFI are not really compatible. Once you start to boot in one mode you cannot switch. And how you boot installer is how it installs. Grub menu then can only boot another install in the same boot mode.

Your UEFI menu should show two entries to boot live installer. One UEFI and one BIOS. Often UEFI is clearly labelled and BIOS may be just name of flash drive or other info.
    Only 64 bit version can be booted in UEFI mode. So you must have 64 bit version.

Ubuntu can install to gpt partitioned drives with UEFI or BIOS boot mode. But with UEFI it requires the efi partition and must use the same efi partition as any other installs in UEFI mode. Your sda5 is the efi partition. If in BIOS mode grub must have a unformatted 1 or 2MB partition with the bios_grub flag which is sda5 in your install currently.

You do not yet have grub's efi boot loader installed. And it is grub-efi-amd64-signed if you want the signed version to boot with secure boot on. But there is a grub bug where it cannot currently boot Windows from grub menu with secure boot on. But you should be able to boot both Ubuntu & Windows from UEFI menu.

Do not run this Boot-Repair suggestion until we know your have one of those systems that only boots Windows from hard drive. And some other workarounds may be better than the one Boot-Repair does.
    You may want to retry after activating the [Backup and rename Windows EFI files] option.

Page 218 of 234 FirstFirst ... 118168208216217218219220228 ... LastLast