Page 18 of 235 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast

Thread: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in one click

Beans

Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

Can't do that because in my case there was sda5, I think, for chainloading, not sda2.
    Why is that option fixed instead of drop-down menu so user can choose the location to force GRUB into?
    Last edited by EC120; October 23rd, 2011 at 05:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Just a quick 'thank you'. Finally I had some booting trouble, so I could test the ISO. It worked like a charm.

When using the boot CD, one should be patient. The program might take several minutes to run - just wait, it is not frozen.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Arrow Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

Hello

@EC120: the chainload option only proposes to install GRUB2's "first stage" into the partition containing the "second stage" (= the partition that you select at the right of "OS to boot by default")

@mörgæs: glad to see you tried it currently the "recommended repair" performs by default a fsck (filesystem repair) on all partitions, which takes time, before reinstalling GRUB (or restoring MBR). I think I will deactivate this fsck by default (it will remain possible to activate it in the Advanced options), because I am not sure of fsck package's reliability (if some fsck's expert read this, I would be happy to get some advice). This would considerably accelerate the repair.

Beans

Thank you thank you thank you for this wonderful app YannBuntu!! Worked like a dream (though I had to go through the rigmarole of installing synaptic in order to install pastebinit and gawk - no idea why synaptic isn't there by default in 11.10).

You've just turned a miserable morning into a very happy one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 clic !

Quote Originally Posted by YannBuntu View Post
    Hi martini1179,
    Boot-Repair should work also with GRUB Legacy.
    Remark : the "purge" option uninstalls GRUB (grub grub-pc and grub-common) packages, and reinstalls grub-pc.
    So just to be clear, if I want to get GRUB legacy to work when I install Windows 7 after I install Ubuntu, instead of clicking the "recommended repair" button, I should go into Advanced Options>>GRUB Location and then click the "Purge and reinstall the GRUB of:" option?

If so, I will be essentially updating GRUB legacy to GRUB "2.0", right?

Will this sort of update cause me any boot problems?
    Linux. Think Different-er.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Arrow Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

Hi Martini,

Basically:
    - the "Recommended repair" will do what is ticked by default in the "Advanced options".
    - the "OS to boot by default:" option (in the Advanced options) will just reinstall the GRUB (Legacy or GRUB2) which is already in the OS you choose at the right-side of "OS to boot by default:". If your system had Legacy, it will remain Legacy.
    - the "Purge and reinstall the GRUB of:" option (in the Advanced options) will completely purge the GRUB (Legacy or GRUB2) of the OS you choose at the right-side of "Purge and reinstall the GRUB of:", then it will guide you to reinstall GRUB2 in it.

Each version of Ubuntu ships with a newer version of Grub. And each version of Grub corrects some bugs, and bring new ones, so we cannot be sure that the last Grub will work better on your system that the one you are using now.

First of all, I recommend you check on your current Ubuntu system the version of Grub you are using (search "grub" in Synaptic).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 clic !

Hello,
    To answer your questions, Boot-Repair is not 64bits-only. It can be used both in 32bits and 64bits session, but when run from a 32bits session it cannot repair the GRUB of a 64bits Linux (that's a limitation of the chroot system).
    Generally people who use only 64bits systems/CD, or 32bits systems&CD so there is no problem.
    You're wrong. I'm using an ubuntu 11.10 32-bit liveCD to add grub to an ubuntu 9.04 32-bit system and Boot-Repair tells me "Please use this software in a 64bits session." looks like your software verifies if the computer supports 64-bit, but doesn't care about the installed system itself.
    Ubuntu: Linux for human beings with time to waste.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hi LeDechaine.
    I will check this point again, thanks.
    FYI, Ubuntu 9.04 is not supported any more. Only 10.04 and later are supported by Boot-Repair.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hi LeDechaine.
    I will check this point again, thanks.
    FYI, Ubuntu 9.04 is not supported any more. Only 10.04 and later are supported by Boot-Repair.
    Which basically means boot-repair won't work for me anyway?
    Ubuntu: Linux for human beings with time to waste.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

No matter if Boot-repair works or not you should let go of 9.04 and install a supported release. It is dangerous to use a release which has not received security bug fixes for more than a year.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Page 18 of 235 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast