Page 15 of 235 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in one click

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Is there a version of Boot Repair CD that uses the 3.0 kernel from Ubuntu 11.10 b

@YannBuntu

OK, one + for you today

I just have used your disk with success on small HP where I needed to restore generic mbr for w7 boot.

But still wish you include the 'replace grub2 with grub legacy' function as this is needed in many cases.
    Actually I did it many times 'by hand', but just today on that small HP netbook I made a typo and screwed partially.

But now all is fine again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Is there a version of Boot Repair CD that uses the 3.0 kernel from Ubuntu 11.10 b

Quote Originally Posted by ottosykora View Post
    @YannBuntu

OK, one + for you today

I just have used your disk with success on small HP where I needed to restore generic mbr for w7 boot.

But still wish you include the 'replace grub2 with grub legacy' function as this is needed in many cases.
    Actually I did it many times 'by hand', but just today on that small HP netbook I made a typo and screwed partially.

But now all is fine again.
    I'm curious about why you sometimes need to downgrade grub. Could you explain that to me. See like that wouldn't be a good idea for any buntu flavor at least because of the kernel update process.
    Jim
    Toshiba Satellite L505-S6946
    Precise, Fedora, Kororaa, Bodhi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicVoyager View Post
    Greetings,

Is there a version of Boot Repair CD that uses the 3.0 kernel from Ubuntu 11.10 beta? A beta version?

Thanks
    Related to this, I could swear I downloaded an 11.10 secured cd last week and can't seem to find it now. Is there one or is my memory all the way gone?

Thanks
    Jim
    Toshiba Satellite L505-S6946
    Precise, Fedora, Kororaa, Bodhi

Beans
    Hidden!

many situations ask for installation of complete bootloader into the actual root partition.
    This is when someone has more operating systems and uses boot manager partition and chainloads from there, or any other chainloading by use of third party boot manager, or windows boot manger or similar situation where the first part of grub should not be in mbr and bootsector of the drive.

Apparently the grub2 files are much bigger then legacy grub and there fore the can be damaged when moved. I did experience this after distro upgrades.
    During installation of grub2 into partition by hand, even warning given by the developers of it is displayed

Problems never appear with grub legacy.

At the last install , I use boot manager of windows, so grub has to go to partition and has no other function there then boot the own system there.
    Here it is clearly more stable then grub2.

Beans
    Hidden!

@YannBuntu

why it is needed to have internet connection during the work with the repair disk?

Could it not be done so that all essential components are on the disk itself?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

Hi Yann

I fully appreciate your piece of software. The tutorial you wrote about how to use it is however lacking some informations :
    when restoring the MBR, the options are sort of
    mrc
    mbr_c
    mbr_f
    altmbr
    and so on.

Can you, please, include in you tutorial, the meaning of this various options

Arbiel

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Arrow Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

Hi all, thanks for your kind messages. Just quick answers because i'm on holidays with very few pc access.

@ottosykora: boot-repair can work off-line as it contains all important packages, but it is better to connect to internet in order to get the very last updates.

@Arbiel: the default option (mbr) is the one to try first, and it works in all cases i tested. If it does not work, please tell me and try the following choices.

@Blasphemist: i did not create a Ubuntu Secured 10.10 yet, but i will do so when 10.10 is released.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hi Yann

J'espère que tes vacances sont agréables, et ensoleillées, ce qui n'a pas vraiment été le cas en Normandie cet été.

The idea was just that, when confronted with the choice that he does not understand, the user may get a little confused. I eventually chose the mbr entry, and it did just run fine.

If this could please you, if you explain me what the various option mean, I'll make a pleasure to help you with the documentation, in both languages.

Arbiel

Beans

After starting Boot-Repair I'm seeing the message "Enabling RAID. This may require several minutes...".

It's been enabling for more than 30 mins, I suspect something may be wrong, any ideas?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@HutchMeister: this is not normal. Please open a terminal and run the following commands:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    Code:
    sudo parted -l
    Code:
    sudo os-prober
    please indicate their output and also the output of this script.

Page 15 of 235 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast