Page 116 of 230 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126166216 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 2294

Thread: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in one click

Beans

Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

Hello and thank you for this utility.
    Here is my boot summary report http://paste.ubuntu.com/5729777
    I am triple-booting Windows 7, Ubuntu 12.10, and Bodhilinux. After installing Bodhilinux, I lost access to Win 7 (but not Ubuntu). When I select windows from the boot loader I immediately get a black screen and recommendations to use a windows repair CD.
    The situation is not solved after using the 'recommended options' in boot-repair on a Live USB.
    Thank you for any attention and recommendations.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have been through the recommended process many times.

Usually I just hit a dead end, but a couple of times I have been blessed with the coveted "Your boot has been successfully repaired".

I have no working OS on this computer now. I insert the Linux Secure Remix CD and go through the recommended procedure--Try Ubuntu, run Boot-Repair, etc.

My fundamental question is what to do when I get the "success" message. The directions say to restart the system and see if it boots properly. Since I don't have any system in there to boot up with my successfully repaired boot loader, nothing happens and I'm right back where I started.

On the other hand, if I try to install Ubuntu at that point, it wipes out what's in there (including my successfully repaired boot loader) and I'm back where I started.

My latest "successfully repaired" number is /5731315/.

There's 116 pages of boot repair problems prior to my post here. My question is probably answered in there somewhere--can somebody give me a hint? Thanks.

EDIT: My problem seemed to stem from trying to install Ubuntu on a RAID system (2 hard drives working in unison). Boot Repair could not seem to successfully handle ARRAY0 (the partition consisting of both hard drives working together). I finally just gave up and disconnected one of the 2 hard drives. That got rid of ARRAY0 and gave me access to an sda, so 13.04 loaded from the install dvd with no problems. After I disconnected one of the hard drives I ran the GPARTED disk to thoroughly remove corruption before loading 13.04.
    Last edited by ClarkinHawaii; June 5th, 2013 at 01:30 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by YannBuntu View Post
    @MashUseLinux: the failed upgrade crashed your Ubuntu.
    1) backup the data you can
    2) try to fix your Ubuntu partition by using a 13.04 disk to reinstall Ubuntu above your crashed system (sda7) this way: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuReinstallation

Thank you for your prompt response YannBuntu ,
    now i was trying to reinstall the ubuntu as suggested from your link,
    but now when i was taking a back up using clonezilla live, the image was put to one external HDD partition, and it was done, but am unable to access that partition on external HDD on which the image made, was having some other data are not accessible now!!!!!

so how to get access back on the partition where the clonezilla image was put to access other data in the partition???
    any help would be highly appreciated....

and mean while am trying to reinstall ubuntu with 13.04 live cd...
    Last edited by MashUseLinux; June 4th, 2013 at 07:09 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by MashUseLinux View Post
    Thank you for your prompt response YannBuntu ,
    now i was trying to reinstall the ubuntu as suggested from your link,
    but now when i was taking a back up using clonezilla live, the image was put to one external HDD partition, and it was done, but am unable to access that partition on external HDD on which the image made, was having some other data are not accessible now!!!!!

so how to get access back on the partition where the clonezilla image was put to access other data in the partition???
    any help would be highly appreciated....

and mean while am trying to reinstall ubuntu with 13.04 live cd...
    Hi MashUseLinux,

I think YannBuntu knows better how you should repair your system, but I can answer about the Clonezilla image.

If you have made an image (and not cloned the drive), the image should reside in the target drive, your external drive. There is a directory named with the current date and hour and in that directory there are several files, small files describing the system, that was backed up and a number of 2 GB files containing the image. The number of 2 GB files depends on the amount of data in the partition(s) that were imaged.

Nothing should be overwritten, so your external drive should contain whatever was there before the Clonezilla job plus the image made by Clonezilla. If there is no working installed system in your computer, you can access that drive from a live system booted from a CD/DVD/USB drive, for example your Clonezilla boot drive or an Ubuntu desktop install drive.

Beans

Hello everyone,

I tried 2 times to repair my dual boot with Boot-repair using the recommended repair but it didn't work for me.

At the beginning, all worked well with the GRUB menu for choosing the os, and after using easyBCD software for choose the os with the windows8 menu instead of GRUB at the start up of the computer, I had severals problems..
    Now, my ubuntu 's partition work correctly but windows 8 doesn't work at all..
    I don't know what to do know, so I prefer post my log of Boot-repair here

Sorry for my english, I hope you can help me.

The link of the first boot-repair: http://paste.ubuntu.com/5730927

And the second time : http://paste.ubuntu.com/5732039

Jimmy

Beans

Hello!
    I did something stupid and now I cannot get grub working. The report generated by boot-repair is at http://paste2.org/P2jIkFbs.
    I think I deleted a small partition I had by accident and that resulted in grub not showing now - even after reinstalling Linux. I'm trying to boot Windows 7 as well as a few Linux distros. I used to be able to do this even using EFI. Unfortunately I don't remember what I did before and I would hate to reinstall Windows and get rid of EFI. Help would be much appreciated.

I figured it out. I had to set the Windows boot manager to number one boot priority in the BIOS.
    Last edited by abloylas; June 6th, 2013 at 09:29 PM.

Beans

I have since formatted my hard drive and gone back to Linux Mint 14 and used the entire drive instead of dual booting with Windows 7. I still get intermittent boot errors; I get these same errors:

error: unknown filesystem
    error: attempt to read or write outside of disk 'hd0'

Here is my paste URL:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/5734197/

Beans

Hello and thanks for your time. I'm trying to dual boot Windows 8 and Linux Mint 15. I'm able to boot into Windows, but trying to boot into Linux produces a quick series of error messages and then a Grub2 command line that I don't know how to work with. I did some reading and found out about boot-repair, and tried the recommended repair, however it seems that the problem is still there. My boot info URL is here: http://paste2.org/nNznKU0x.
    If there's any further info you may need, feel free to ask.

Beans

Question Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

Is there some way to safely use boot-repair without an internet connection?

I tried the 'Recommended Repair' and a message popped-up saying if I continued with repair without an internet connection, the system would be un-bootable.

The machine uses a proxy server, and I did not see a way to set the proxy using the boot-repair live cd.

Beans

Cool Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

http:/paste.ubuntu.com/5736824/

Dual booting Windows 7 and Lubuntu 13.04

Briefly booted into the windows 7 factory restore and then just exited without asking to change anything...(just wanted to know if it was still on the computer and working should I ever need it).

Next time it wouldn't boot into anything.

I ran bootrepair and when I tried to reboot it wouldn't shut down all the way and was stuck on the lubuntu splash screen. I tried ctrl-alt-delete and ctrl-alt-backspace. Had to do a power button 3-seconds off. I booted again and it went directly into windows with no option for linux.

I ran it again and left the computer for 2 hours as it tried to reboot. I will now go and turn it off.

Please help restore my Grub. If it can't be done then I will have to reinstall Lubuntu.

**I reinstalled lubuntu and all works good. Thank you for additional information if this happens again I will definitely use it!
    Last edited by kulus1969; June 6th, 2013 at 05:22 PM. Reason: reinstalled lubuntu

Page 116 of 230 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126166216 ... LastLast