Page 114 of 235 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116124164214 ... LastLast
Results 1,131 to 1,140 of 2344

Thread: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in one click

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

Enter your BIOS setup and select your HardDisk to boot first or select windows to boot. Your Windows install looks OK to me. I think your PC is trying to boot from USB. If you need more help then start your own thread with appropriate title and leave a link to that thread here. Post as much info as you can about your machine and what exactly you did when installing Ubuntu to USB on that new thread.
    Last edited by fantab; May 26th, 2013 at 06:04 PM.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

Hey now, where did help go? Was it something I said?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

This thread belongs to 'Boot-Repair' tool specifically. Lets not hijack it. That is why I asked you to start a new thread.
    Your problem does not exactly pertain to 'Boot-Repair', as far as I can tell. I hope YannBuntu or someone else confirm my doubts. Also having your own thread increases the chances for you to get right help.
    Last edited by fantab; May 27th, 2013 at 04:45 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by lonestranger View Post
    Hey now, where did help go? Was it something I said?
    Quote Originally Posted by fantab View Post
    This thread belongs to 'Boot-Repair' tool specifically. Lets not hijack it. That is why I asked you to start a new thread.
    Your problem does not exactly pertain to 'Boot-Repair', as far as I can tell. I hope YannBuntu or someone else confirm my doubts. Also having your own thread increases the chances for you to get right help.
    +1

@lonestranger

Please make an own thread with a good descriptive title and a good description of your problem in the opening post. After that make a post in this thread linking to that thread, and a post in that thread linking to this thread. This will increase your chances to get help from several new persons.

Good luck

Beans

Hello, nice to meet you guys. I have an Asus u36jc laptop with a SSD inside. I upgraded my bios and my system hadn't booted anymore. As POST goes away the little blinking cursor on the upper left went down a row (just like after a paragraph input) and then stop, the ssd don't load any data.

I only have Windows 7 OS on it but I had a grub bootloader with 2 options, windows 8 (from a usb drive, when connected) and windows 7 (from internal ssd, default). This was installed automatically when I created a windows 8 live drive. I have 2 partitions, a first one empty with no letter assigned of 100mb (to optimize ssd performances) and another NTFS one with the rest of the space (my c:\)

Tried a couple of windows restore cd but they say I have a different version (not true) and restore utility doesn't start. Then I found this great page and ran boot-repair cd, that found something and here is my link http://paste.ubuntu.com/5707342/
    The result? Now after POST it says: Missing operating system. Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.

I ran boot-repair again http://paste.ubuntu.com/5707396/
    Nothing, the same message.

With a live cd I scanned the ssd drive for errors, nothing found. and every file seems to be still there, I can read and write on the drive without problems...

I would like to thank you very much, in advance, for your help!
    Andrea
    Last edited by andyit; May 27th, 2013 at 07:07 PM.

Beans

Alright, screw it. I'm going to reinstall windows. Ubuntu! Ubuntu.

I love the open source concept, but you've got to make this product less DANGEROUS. I had no idea that trying out ubuntu was going to cause me so much grief. Holy ****, I bricked my computer! I think the project should focus less on features and more on usability. Users shouldn't have to sit there and wonder what /sdb1 and /sda2 are. And then if they get it wrong catastrophic failure? Seriously.

Beans

Hello,

I had two partitions on my pc, two linux distros on two ext partitions (sda1 and sda3). I decided to install win8 replacing one of these partitions. Then I used a live usb to repair the grub, but I noticed that the parition got messed up. Here is the boot info: http://paste.ubuntu.com/5713190/

Somehow it happened somehting also to the other partition. Do you know what I can do?
    Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by andyit View Post
    I only have Windows 7 OS on it but I had a grub bootloader with 2 options, windows 8 (from a usb drive, when connected) and windows 7 (from internal ssd, default). This was installed automatically when I created a windows 8 live drive. I have 2 partitions, a first one empty with no letter assigned of 100mb (to optimize ssd performances) and another NTFS one with the rest of the space (my c:\)

...and ran boot-repair cd, that found something and here is my link http://paste.ubuntu.com/5707342/
    I ran boot-repair again http://paste.ubuntu.com/5707396/
    AFAIK... GRUB will NOT work with two Windows Install. There has to be a Linux OS in the picture. I may be wrong. Lets hope someone else confirms/clarifies this. Boot-repair is a Linux utility and it cant help you much with Windows only setup.

Quote Originally Posted by lonestranger View Post
    Alright, screw it. I'm going to reinstall windows. Ubuntu! Ubuntu.

I love the open source concept, but you've got to make this product less DANGEROUS. I had no idea that trying out ubuntu was going to cause me so much grief. Holy ****, I bricked my computer! I think the project should focus less on features and more on usability. Users shouldn't have to sit there and wonder what /sdb1 and /sda2 are. And then if they get it wrong catastrophic failure? Seriously.
    Linux is not Windows, seriously.
    With Linux there is a learning curve. If you are willing to go through it then start your own thread and we'll help you.

Quote Originally Posted by itajaja View Post
    Hello,

I had two partitions on my pc, two linux distros on two ext partitions (sda1 and sda3). I decided to install win8 replacing one of these partitions. Then I used a live usb to repair the grub, but I noticed that the parition got messed up. Here is the boot info: http://paste.ubuntu.com/5713190/

Somehow it happened somehting also to the other partition. Do you know what I can do?
    Thanks
    Your Windows 8 install messed it up for you. Windows Disk Management does NOT work with Linux filesystems. Can you boot Windows?
    Boot-repair alone cannot fix the issue you have. Start a new thread with an appropriate title and describe your problem in as much detail as possible and post a link to that thread here.
    Last edited by fantab; May 29th, 2013 at 02:16 PM.

Beans

I already opened a separate thread.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2149609
    After the first boot repair I couldn't access windows (inaccessible boot device error) then I repaired it with the windows disk. I played a bit more with boot repair (nothing crazy) and changed some BIOS options, and now I can't access it anymore (neither i can repair it). Can you suggest me which information do you want me to log, or that you think can be useful?

Beans

Good Day all,
    Some history first: I would like to use the boot repair to get access data on a previous installation of ubuntu and FOG project where I have images of workstations: I transferred to drive to a new box hoping it would figure things out and I could access it to copy the images to DVD....anyway that didn't work so I reinstalled over that drive...that didn't work...so now I have a new drive installed in the new box...I installed ubuntu server and the I installed the gui over it...now I would like to install the boot-repair to access the imagages to copy them to DVD.

Problem. After typing the code into the terminal I get this error back: Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/add-apt-repository", line 125 in <module>
    ppa_info = get_ppa_info_from_lp(user, ppa_name)
    File "/usr/lib/pyton2.7/dist-packages/softwareproperties/ppa.py", line 84, in
    get_pp_info_from_lp
    curl.perform()
    pycurl.error: (7, "couldn't connect to host")

any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by onyxtacular; May 29th, 2013 at 04:34 PM. Reason: didnt finish the post

Page 114 of 235 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116124164214 ... LastLast