Page 11 of 235 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in one click

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 clic !

Yanni,

Thanks for continually improving your app. If I could make a suggestion - in your signature line you could make a link of the word "Wiki".

I'm not saying we are lazy, but providing a link to click might increase the chances that your viewers would go to your Wiki page.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

Talking Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 clic !

Great little tool for my pc repair kit Yanni, the best part is that any reasonably smart user can fix their own issues with this little tool. My pc fix count is now up to 3 with this tool, and I've found no bugs so far, the MBR option is very handy for sorting out rootkit issues when used with live cd and clamtk.
    My only caveat is that for those new to the linux world you should include a note that windows will want to run chkdisk upon it's startup. If this is already in the wiki I have overlooked it.
    Love the work and hope to see more from your marvelous mind in the future.

Beans
    Hidden!

Boot-Repair does not work on my laptop either same "please run in a 64bits environment" error. I have no 64 bit OS on my laptop or desktop. Does it think my 32bit OS's are 64bit for some reason? The only thing that works is make boot-info summary.

Beans

Hi Yann, this looks like a great tool.

Unfortunately I'm having some problems with it.

I installed the latest stable version 2.7-0ppa57~natty under an Ubuntu 11.04 LiveCD.

When First Repair reported it couldn't fix the problem I tried Second Repair

As an aside, this produces a series of error messages on fairly full, but still around 1Gb or so free, partitions which are not involved in either booting or the installation whiose Grub2 menu I am trying to repair. For example:
    The sdb10 (Microsoft Windows XP) partition is nearly full. This can prevent to start it. Please use the file browser that just opened to delete unused files (or transfer them to another disk). Close this window when you have finished.

Then:
    The sdb10 (Microsoft Windows XP) partition is still full. This can prevent to start it (e.g. you may get a Power Manager error).
    After clicking OK until I got rid of these messages Software Sources opens and a 'software-properties-gtk' dialog box pops up asking to 'Install software additionally or only from these sources?' 'Replace' - 'Cancel' - 'Add', along with a list of software sources - third-party and Canonical - all of which I already have.

I press either 'Add' or 'Replace' and then 'Close' and 'Reload' the Software Sources.

Boot-Repair then returns the error message:
    'Please enable a repository for the [grub-pc] package in your Software Sources. Then try again.' OK
    and closes. Grub-pc is installed and up-to-date. I have all the Canonical and many other software sources enabled but I haven't found any way past this error - which doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Can anyone suggest a way forward?

Thanks!

Beans

By the way my installation is Ubuntu 10.10 x64 and I'm using an Ubuntu 11.04 x64 LiveCD.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Arrow Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 clic !

@all: if you have 5 minutes, please help translating Boot-Repair in your language : https://translations.launchpad.net/boot-repair/trunk

@Darkstar85: thanks for your kind words. Yes Windows generally performs a chkdsk after Boot-Repair's use. I don't know if it is systematic, and I don't find it dangerous/surprising so I did not add any warning.

@arclance : please indicate your BootInfo URL so that we can check. For the moment, I recommend you burn and use Boot-Repair-Disk, so that you can choose the "64bits session" on start-up.

@jrussell88: The "XP partition is still full" message means you have <3% empty space, but it is not a problem if XP works correctly. The Software Sources which opened is indeed the sources of the Ubuntu you wish to repair. Please run the "First Repair", but this time select "Create BootInfo" in the Advanced Options and indicate the URL please.

Beans

Thanks Yann, I ran First Repair and emailed the URL to you.

Beans

And the First Repair was successful this time! So problem solved somehow - thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Talking Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 clic !

Splendid

Beans

hello
    i have 3 hdd
    os installed on 1st one:
    -ubuntu 8.04
    -winxp
    os installed on 2nd one:
    -ubuntu 10.04
    -win 7
    os installed on 3rd one:
    -ubuntu 11.04

i have installed win 7 after winxp
    now whether i boot with 1st or 2nd hdd ... it always starts with win 7
    and when i boot with 3rd hdd ... there's a grub splash-screen (grub 1.98) which allows me to start with any of the 3 ubuntu versions mentioned above
    there's an old win 7 entry which doesn't work

how can boot-repair be of any assistance in this case ???

Page 11 of 235 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast