"Boot-Repair" is a small graphical tool to repair frequent boot problems.
- repair the boot when an OS does not boot any more after installing Ubuntu
- repair the boot when access to GRUB and any OS is lost (maybe due to a Windows software that wrote into the MBR gap, or a OEM MBR lock),
- reinstall GRUB bootloader easily
- create a Boot Info Summary in 1 click !
- restore a generic bootsector (MBR), or the original MBR if it has been saved by Clean-Ubiquity
Get a CD including Boot-Repair:
- Boot-Repair-Disk is a CD that automatically runs Boot-Repair at start-up.
- or: Boot-Repair is also included in all Linux Secure disks.
Install and run Boot-Repair in Ubuntu (in case you can't burn a CD):
just type in a Terminal:
Boot-Repair can be installed & used from any Ubuntu session (normal session, or live-CD, or live-USB).
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && (boot-repair &)
PPA packages are available for Ubuntu versions precise(12.04LTS), trusty(14.04LTS), utopic(14.10), vivid(15.04).
Launch it from System->Administration->Boot-Repair menu if you use Gnome, or search "boot" in the dash if you use Unity. Then follow the menus...
You can contribute by :
- translating (now ~60 languages)
- voting on Launchpad for these bugs: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th
- suggesting improvements
If you want help reviewing your summary report from Boot-Repair, post new thread with link to pastebin.