Thread: Repartition hard drive with out killing either ubuntu or windows 7?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Red face Repartition hard drive with out killing either ubuntu or windows 7?

I recently did a duel boot system with 30 gigs for Windows 7 and 30 gigs for Ubuntu and about 500 gigis of shared drive space.
    I moved over the windows user folder to the shared partition but left the program files on the main one. I quickly found out after installing MS office that I need to make that partition 40 gigs but when I used windows to take from the spare partition and move to windows ubuntu died. Now this was the second time I tried repartitioning with bad results. The first time I tried to install ubuntu rather than formatting and starting from scratch I had used ubuntu to shrink my windows partition the first time and that killed windows.

Needless to say I think I should just avoid repartitioning but that is easier said than done with a duel boot system.

So my question is if I have to resize a partition again how can I do it without destroying windows and or ubuntu?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Repartition hard drive with out killing either ubuntu or windows 7?

If you always use Windows tools to resize Windows Partitions, and Linux tools to resize Linux partitions, you will have a better success rate.

Gparted can resize windows partitions in a pinch (please defrag the windows partition 3 times before you use gparted to do that).

If you have a specific resizing need, you can always post your plan of attack here and we will help guide you next time.

The Hedge

Look at all those flashing lights! I'll take one!

The Ubuntu Forums - our little Global Village

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Repartition hard drive with out killing either ubuntu or windows 7?

Thanks for the help. I ended up making shortcut links instead.