Thread: Partitioning without formatting?

Beans

Question Partitioning without formatting?

Im trying to install ubuntu with windows xp, but I only have 1 disk

People at irc told me i Could make a new partition in this same disk without having to format the whole drive.. and this option should appear at the setup, but i dont have that option, it only show the option to format the drive or "do something else", And here i cant see anything that let me use the free space i have in the windows partition to make a new one...

my ntfs partition has at least 35gb contiguous free space of 200gb free so i thought i could use this to make a new partition, but idk how, can anyone guide me please?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Partitioning without formatting?

You have to choose the advanced or manual option. This will let you use the partitioning tool to shrink the existing partition and create a new one in the resulting free space on the drive. I would strongly advise you to back up everything important before doing this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

IF your NTFS partition is 200GB and only has 35GB free, you do not have enough room. Windows likes 30% free, starts to slow down with 20% free and just about stops at 10%. With 200GB you need at least 40GB free for windows to work reasonably well.

How many partitions have you used? MBR/msdos only allow 4 primary partitions one of which can be an extended partition with many logical partitions. Ubuntu will work just fine from logicals.
    Oldfred on vacation. Back Sept 9. Will not have much if any Internet access.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Partitioning without formatting?

no, my disk is 1 partition of 500gb (470gb real), and i have 200gb free i wanted to use at least 40 gb for ubuntu, but idk how to make a new partition without formatting...

I found the tool gparted but it doesnt let me resize it as is supposed to work...

I dismount the disk, go to resize and then it doesnt let me move the bar or write the number i want because it goes back to 0.

I did full defrag in windows using perfectdisk to create free contiguous space for 2 days nonstop, then i ran chkdsk /f /r and today i cant create the new partition.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

How many partitions have you used.

Post this and/or a screenshot from gparted.

Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu
    Oldfred on vacation. Back Sept 9. Will not have much if any Internet access.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.