Thread: Installing ubuntu server edition over older ubuntu.

Beans

Installing ubuntu server edition over older ubuntu.

I have an old desktop computer running the desktop version of ubuntu 8.04. The bios is locked down on this machine. It is inaccsessable for some reason. I have the iso of the new ubuntu server OS. How do I wipe the existing system and install new software ?
    Thank you for any help.

Beans

Re: Installing ubuntu server edition over older ubuntu.

You can mount the hard drive in another machine and install it from that machine, then plug it back.

Beans

Do you mean connect the old ubuntu system via USB or some other cable to the computer with the ubuntu server iso file and make it install?

Beans

More like taking the hard drive out of the computer, putting it into another computer, boot up and install from that computer, and than put it back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

If you can't change the boot sequence in BIOS to make your machine boot from CD or USB, then I think Smart Viking has mentioned the only practical way to do it.

include <lightstream.h>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

although... you can apparently make Grub2 boot from an ISO image. Even if you can do this on your system, it's going to take a bit of messing about to install Ubuntu this way though - you might be able to do it by creating a partition that does little other than hold the ISO which you then boot from, and install onto the other partition. Afterwards you should then be able to use Gparted to delete that partition, that is if Gparted will let you modify the system partition. If not, you'd be stuck with the two partitions.

See this thread.

include <lightstream.h>

Beans

I put the hard drive into an enclosure and plugged it into a working ubuntu computer (11.04). I looked at the link the person above posted but I couldnt make Amy sense of it. If anyone could help me out with simpler instructions I would appreciate it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ornothaloapq View Post
    I put the hard drive into an enclosure and plugged it into a working ubuntu computer (11.04). I looked at the link the person above posted but I couldnt make Amy sense of it. If anyone could help me out with simpler instructions I would appreciate it.
    Here is simple... make the hard drive your only drive in your computer. Disconnect the one that is using your 11.04.

Now put the Server Ubuntu CD in the drive. Boot from the Server UBUNTU ISO. Install it " on your computer " now take out that drive and put it into the other box. Re-Connect your 11.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ornothaloapq View Post
    The bios is locked down on this machine. It is inaccsessable for some reason.
    If by the above you mean a BIOS password, just unplug the system, open the case, and pop out the CMOS battery for a few minutes. After that reassemble, fire your rig up, and enjoy your password free BIOS.
    -o)
    /\\
    _\_V
    Message void if penguin is violated...Don't mess with the penguin.