Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Linux Mint 11 "Katya" Goes Gold!

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: Linux Mint 11 "Katya" Goes Gold!

Quote Originally Posted by jhonan View Post
    Looks like they used the same rationale regarding Unity - In that they're sticking with Gnome 2.
    That's what turns me off about Mint right now. It seems like it's not very cutting edge. When others are moving to Gnome 3 and Gnome Shell, and Ubuntu is at least bringing in Unity, Mint is sticking with the same old technology.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NormanFLinux View Post
    You weren't wrong. I personally would like to see a premium edition of Ubuntu. I think its a great idea and it would strengthen the position of the brand on the market. LM has shown it can be done.

That said, I do like stock Ubuntu.
    Ubuntu is the most recognized linux distribution and thus the evidence speaks for itself.
    Site:http://timszaboblog.com - Linux / Web Development / Ecommerce

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    That's what turns me off about Mint right now. It seems like it's not very cutting edge. When others are moving to Gnome 3 and Gnome Shell, and Ubuntu is at least bringing in Unity, Mint is sticking with the same old technology.
    But if you stick Unity on top of Mint, you've got Ubuntu (more-or-less) - It's primarily the Mint menu and the look of the Gnome2 theme that brands it differently from Ubuntu.

(Okay, I know the inner workings are different, but the average user judges if something is 'different' by how the UI looks)

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

It's primarily the Mint menu and the look of the Gnome2 theme that brands it differently from Ubuntu.
    Which is the same thing that it's been for years. Not very cutting edge when the rest of the world is moving on. But cutting edge isn't for everyone.

(Okay, I know the inner workings are different, but the average user judges if something is 'different' by how the UI looks)
    I think the inner workings are probably pretty much the same and the UI is the thing that is the most different.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by lucazade View Post
    Sincerly I tried Mint several times, also recently, and for some days.. beside 4/5 things different from Ubuntu I don't see anything special, really no reason to stick with a homemade distro, without a clear roadmap and devs behind it.

What Ubuntu does on top of Debian cannot be compared to Mint, for quality and for quantity.
    I agree.

I don't need "software/update ratings".

I don't need pre-installed codecs.

I don't need "opensuse green".

I don't need the slab menu.

I don't need mint.

But if these things color your world, go for it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Nice release. I'm giving it a spin in Virtualbox. I'm waiting till the KDE version comes out, which probably won't be out until about August. Knowing Mint, their KDE version 11 will be much better than Kubuntu 11.04, so I'll probably switch when it is released.

I like Mint 11, but I've already conditioned myself for life after Gnome 2, so I won't be using this version outside of Virtualbox. I'd love to see what they do in the future with Gnome Shell or Unity.

Beans
    Hidden!

I installed Katya this morning... wow... that is the only way I can describe it... wow and ...

Linux Mint - Triple distilled, twice as smooth

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin2128 View Post
    What about linux mint debian edition? You've got to admit, mint is good.
    LMDE doesn't have near the look and polish of regular Mint or Ubuntu and it also has tons of breakage issues.

If they end up breaking from Ubuntu and figuring it out then great.....
    Last edited by smellyman; May 28th, 2011 at 12:00 AM.

Beans

Moved to Other OS/Distro Talk.

This forum is for the discussion and support of other operating systems and Linux distros. No official Ubuntu supported distro questions should be posted here. No bashing/flaming of any OS/Distro is allowed. Please be aware this is not the best place to receive tech support for these OS's/Distro's and users should look for official support channels for those systems.
    Last edited by uRock; May 28th, 2011 at 04:40 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think the next big challenge for Mint will be integrating Gnome 3. Fact is Gnome 2 will be unsupported soon and Gnome 3 is a natural progression, regardless of "like" or "don't like". Leaving personal views aside, Gnome 3 will be a challenge because a definite part of Mint is to look different than its base, whether Debian or Ubuntu. Gnome 3 doesn't yet have extreme customization options so standing alone in a Gnome 3 world will be more difficult than in Gnome 2. I'm certain it'll be done well by Mint devs, but they have an uphill battle for the first Gnome 3 release and I'm not sure if that'll be on an Ubuntu base or Debian base.

The Mint devs will be forced at some point to do something when Gnome 3 hits the testing repo because LMDE is based on Debian Testing. That'll be an interesting time for sure I think that's when we'll see new isos released, frozen repos and new repos from Mint to give them time to adapt to Gnome 3.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast