Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: ASUS Computers Ubuntu works well on.

Beans

Re: ASUS Computers Ubuntu works well on.

I have an older custom desktop build (>2 years) with an ASUS P5Q motherboard and it has been a dream with Ubuntu. Unfortunately I was a total Ubuntu rookie when I did the build and went for ATI over NVIDIA for the graphics card, which has caused some problems over time.

Anyone have experience with the EEE PC 1215n, I'm thinking of picking one of these up from my local tech store and throwing Lubuntu on it?

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=55627&...nufacture=ASUS

Beans

I installed Natty 11.04 with Unity on:

M70Vn : everything works fine, out of the box, including function keys.

UL20A : everything works with the exception of function keys. Please see my post below for more details:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1775059

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I upgraded my older HP a1700n MB with a new M4A88TD-M/USB3. MS reached out and disabled the Vista key to make it "not genuine". This was the last straw with MS. I did the WUBI install (64bit) in the 32bit Vista and have had very few hiccups. I had to change my Logitech webcam from a C310 to the Pro 9000 and my little Connectland USB 2.0 plugin isn't playing very nicely. Other than that, I've been on 11.04 for about 6 weeks and couldn't be happier. BTW, the increase in performance between the old MB with an Athlon X2 and the new MB with a Phenom II X4 wasn't very noticeable in Vista. The performance in Ubuntu - 64bit is much faster.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have a 2 year old Asus K40IN-A1 on which I have no problems (at least with 10.04 and 10.10, 32-bit).

However, do NOT buy an Asus with the Nvidia hybrid switch. As others have pointed out, it's completely broken. I bought a UL80vt and it was so difficult to setup I finally gave up, uninstalled Ubuntu, and gave it away with Windows 7 on it. Completely useless. Until 11.04 works out it's kinks and Nvidia releases a driver for the hybrid switches (not likely), stay away from the UL[X] line.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Asus N50NV with 10.04.2 64bit dual boot with Windows Vista, perfect.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I have the ASUS M2NPV-VM with AM2. The board is no longer marketed. Features were Firewire in and HDTV signal out. Many dissatisfied users trying this moBoard with various flavors of Windows.

I had a computer factory assemble this box. They added a front panel for USB / audio. nVidia geForce 6100. The computer came delivered with MiniDOS -- I kept hitting the power button not realizing the >$ prompt takes milliseconds to load and run the computer. Drake-64 Ubuntu installed in 11 minutes flat. Every Ubuntu has run on the machine without problems.

No problems. I am very fond of the firewire 1394 capture and I hope this board lasts forever.

I liked the ASUS / AMD combination so well, I ordered a factory deal with the M4A87TD / AMD Phenom-64 hexacore. Intially, some problems with the Radeon GPU and that is Radeon driver issue. The Radeon was garbling some of the Ubuntu GUI.
    "You don't do art because you want to, no, you do art because you have to." -- M. Buonarroti

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by pistacoppu View Post
    Asus N50NV with 10.04.2 64bit dual boot with Windows Vista, perfect.
    Asus N50VN with 11.04 32bit dualboot with Windows 7 Professional 64bit. perfect (multimedia keys even work out of the box, as where windowze fails with it )

By the way, in every other computer i've worked with ubuntu on, there were no problems whatsoever, and they weren't all Asus branded/Asus Based computers
    Last edited by ruipalmeira; June 11th, 2011 at 05:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

asus 1015px works well with 10.10 32bit desktop edition. Wasnt able to find a ubuntu preloaded version of the 1015px in my region, thus i have to install it myself. It is pretty easy. Totally rid of the windows starter 7 that was preloaded with the machine and just load ubuntu 10.10 32 bit as the maximum ram load is only 2 gig.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Irihapeti View Post
    Asus EeePC 900 Netbook

Works very well.

Notes:

• Touchpad is crazily sensitive to tap-to-click. One of the first things I do is to disable that feature.
    • Need to install backport modules in Lucid for the wireless to work properly.
    • Battery capacity indicator in Lucid is broken. It will indicate that the battery is almost ready to be discarded even when it's new. I disable that warning.
    • Slow to boot in Natty. I don't know if that's specific to the machine or something more general.
    Works well here to and I also recognize that Natty 11.04 are slower to boot than Hardy Lucid10.04LTS, but wake up from hibernate is faster i Natty than from Hardy.
    Last edited by Azyx; June 15th, 2011 at 01:21 AM.
    /Azyx

Ubuntu 14.04LTS 64bit, 14.04 Lubuntu 32-bit on eeePCs and OSX on a G4 800MHz iMac (iLamp). I think I have an W7 on one of my Virtualbox machine under 14.04LTS?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

EEEPC 1201T runs with Meerkat and Natty out of the Box. Lucid later kernels would have wifi working.

Natty has a bit of a caveat: Wifi Realtek card drops out. The 1201T has a Radeon card.

Best results? See this post:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1782016

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast