Thread: Minimal Music PC?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Minimal Music PC?

I have a couple of older P3 Pc's lying around with 20GB HDD's in them. Currently one has FreeBSD, the other Ubuntu server. (A mirror of my VPS) What i would like to do is dump all the data i have from my FreeBSD server, and to install Ubuntu Minimal on it. Then i think i'd like to have a music PC. Either to stream or to play. Is this possible without installing a UI? I personally would rather not, as not much else then openbox will run well. Has it been done before, as there any good applications? Any and all help is deeply appreicated.
    Running a forum? Check out MyBB.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Minimal Music PC?

It's been a while since I did this, so others may be better informed than I am, but I did play briefly with something of this kind.

I used ogg123, mpg123 and aplay (alsa) to playback Ogg, Mp3 and wav files respectively.

The first two seem to have been replaced in Natty with music123

I think that gpac includes a mp4 streaming program, probably for movies.

If you want a kind of graphical interface in a terminal, there is mp3blaster.

I suggest searching in synaptic package manager and seeing what you can find. There are definitely some intriguing programs there!
    BACKUPS are unsexy — until you discover you should have done one yesterday.
    Spare your nerves and do one before you upgrade or install.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Would you use the server or the minimal and compile (install) alsa?
    Running a forum? Check out MyBB.

Beans

I'd use arch. All you'd need to do is set up ALSA (or OSS), MPD, and MPC (or ncmpc).

Edit: here's a screenshot of ncmpc running in a virtual terminal, it's got a very intuitive interface.

Last edited by WorMzy; June 1st, 2011 at 03:16 AM. Reason: better screenshot
    http://xkcd.com/293/
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand ternary, those who don't, and those who confuse it with binary.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Do you intend for this machine to perform playback or merely file serve?

I'm running a great system here file serving to a hi-fi computer for playback.

I can control that hi-fi system from other computers on my network (either by a small script for Rhythmbox or by calling Rhythmbox across ssh using the remote x--making this craptastic netbook a semi-cool remote control).

Here is an article on my script:

http://jamesisin.com/a_high-tech_ble...ipping-tracks/

I haven't written an article yet on running Rb over ssh, but if you want me to talk about that let me know.
    "We're all in this together, kid." --H. Tuttle (a.k.a. H. Buttle)
    "Maybe it's a layer 8 problem." --thatguruguy
    A High-Tech Blech!