Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mozilla Firefox, NVIDIA and YouTube Bring 3D HTML5 Video to the Web

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Mozilla Firefox, NVIDIA and YouTube Bring 3D HTML5 Video to the Web

Sounds interesting:

http://blog.mozilla.com/blog/2011/05...eo-to-the-web/

Editor’s note: Today, Mozilla, NVIDIA and YouTube announced support for 3D HTML5 video, available exclusively in Firefox. You can find the announcement here and read more details from Mozilla Director of Platform Product Management, Chris Blizzard, here. Below is an excerpt from the blog post.

Starting with Firefox 4, WebM videos encoded with 3D data will be displayed in high-quality stereoscopic 3D using NVIDIA 3D Vision hardware. 3D hardware has moved from movie theaters and into people’s homes through TVs, laptop and desktop machines. 3D video games are in wide use today. And consumer hardware that’s capable of capturing 3D photos and videos is starting to come onto the market. In fact, there are several thousand 3D videos available today on YouTube. And starting today YouTube will transcode and play these videos into the open WebM format with 3D for use with their HTML5 player. This feature is currently only available in Firefox 4. It’s our hope that other browsers will follow and add support for 3D HTML5 video as well.

This is part of our larger effort to bring open video to the Web. We’ve been glad to work with NVIDIA and YouTube on this project building the solution entirely on open standards like WebM and HTML5. Our hope is that by lowering the barrier for 3D video on the Web, we’ll see more interesting apps being build on open Web technologies.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Mozilla Firefox, NVIDIA and YouTube Bring 3D HTML5 Video to the Web

Words cannot describe how much I dislike 3D movies ... I've never tried it on a computer though.
    Join giffgaff, the mobile network run by you! Click here for free sim with £5 credit http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/matthewbpt
    Get a dropbox account! http://db.tt/6pxH9mf

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

So you use Red/cyan glasses to watch them?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by beew View Post
    So you use Red/cyan glasses to watch them?
    Fancy glasses: http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-main.html

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    So it isn't worth it. Fancy glasses cost a bundle and 3d vision (for local media) only works in Windows unless you have a quardo card.

Beans

Neither my wife nor I like 3D movies at all. I certainly won't be spending any money to make such an irritation available to my eyes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Linux is seriously behind the times when it comes to 3D. As far as I know, there's no support for 3D display hardware or 3D video decoding on Linux; and support for 3D photos is rudimentary at best.

When Microsoft announces a true 3D desktop for 3D display hardware, or people start posting in Ubuntu Forums asking whether their games in Wine support 3D monitors, THEN people will wake up and realise that a lot of work needs to be done.

For the record, I have a 3DS and I love it
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    Linux is seriously behind the times when it comes to 3D. As far as I know, there's no support for 3D display hardware or 3D video decoding on Linux; and support for 3D photos is rudimentary at best.

When Microsoft announces a true 3D desktop for 3D display hardware, or people start posting in Ubuntu Forums asking whether their games in Wine support 3D monitors, THEN people will wake up and realise that a lot of work needs to be done.

For the record, I have a 3DS and I love it
    NVidia supports 3D display hardware and 3D video decoding on Linux, I've seen the support mentioned in many of their driver changelogs. There just aren't any programs that use it atm, and not enough people with the hardware to care about writing programs for it.
    Join giffgaff, the mobile network run by you! Click here for free sim with £5 credit http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/matthewbpt
    Get a dropbox account! http://db.tt/6pxH9mf

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

This 3D trend hasn't died yet... sigh. I cannot stand 3D movies, they give me headaches.
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenKingpin View Post
    This 3D trend hasn't died yet... sigh. I cannot stand 3D movies, they give me headaches.
    I agree, I don't want all TVs to move to 3D and have to wear glasses all the time to get the most out of my shows/movies.

I actually haven't watched a 3D movie yet, but I hear most of them are not that great.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast