Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Printing coupons

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Printing coupons

The deal with coupons.com is that they make a registry entry/change to limit the number of times a coupon was printed. No registry, no work. I don't know if that has changed recently or not. Even doing a Windows restore point prior to printing their coupons then rolling back after didn't work, supposedly. If I recall correctly I couldn't print to a .pdf printer, only a physical printer. Coupons.com did work with Firefox in Windows so it wasn't I.E. only. I don't think it worked is OSX at the time either, just Windows.

Edit: I just checked and Mac is supported now. Linux is not. It'd be interesting to hear how the Wine based emulators or VMs running Windows fare.
    Last edited by walt.smith1960; May 27th, 2011 at 09:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I use Wine and IE in Wine. No problem.

Here is PlayOnLinux that you can install to get that configured too.

http://cinderbox.net/2011/05/23/2856/

You won't be able to print from within wine, at least not that I was able to configure myself. However you can do screen capture with native screen capture software in Linux, and print those out for yourself.

Beans
    Distro

Question Re: Printing coupons

OK, I've reinstalled Wine and installed VirtualBox. I'm looking to download TinyXP ( http://techome.wordpress.com/2008/07...g-live-tinyxp/ > http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4206...9_-_eXPerience ) but I'm not sure which package I should get. I'm thinking no drivers, since Ubuntu will still be running...right? And I definitely don't want MSIE, OE, WMP or anything else I don't need. Bare bones is best, it seems. Right now, I don't foresee using it for anything beyond printing coupons.

So...a couple of my questions are:

1. I download this via torrent...right?

2. I have VirtualBox installed, but I don't see it in the applications list. How do I run it?

Update: I have downloaded MicroXP as an .iso file. How do I now set it up to run in VirtualBox?
    Last edited by alienmindtrick; May 27th, 2011 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Update

Beans
    Distro

Exclamation Re: Printing coupons

Quote Originally Posted by linuxinstalledfromhdd View Post
    I use Wine and IE in Wine. No problem.

Here is PlayOnLinux that you can install to get that configured too.

http://cinderbox.net/2011/05/23/2856/

You won't be able to print from within wine, at least not that I was able to configure myself. However you can do screen capture with native screen capture software in Linux, and print those out for yourself.
    That probably won't work since you never actually see the coupon itself. You get a preview, but the preview doesn't have the barcode and without the barcode stores won't accept the coupon.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by alienmindtrick View Post
    No, the problem isn't just the browser. I've used Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and IE. The error message says that the certain browsers aren't supported, but it always indicates that the operating system isn't supported.
    ... another suggestion: flush out your browser's cache, then disable cookies, before going to the coupon site. That way they can't 'spy' on you and determine that your OS is not Windows. LOL
    "You only live once: let's make life better for each other."
    Asus EEE 1000 Dual-Atom 1.6 GHz.Ubuntu 12.10
    Registered Linux User #193975

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, that didn't work either.

OK, I have Wine, Winetricks, and PlayOnLinux installed. What now? Remember that you're talking to a novice. I read the "tutorials", a laughable term, for all 3. They're clearly not written for the average user. Nor are they entirely in English, although they purport to be...especially PlayOnLinux.

The core issue seems to be how to get the Coupons.com website to think I'm using Windows such that it will install the coupon printer. Using Firefox, I'm able to get to the screen where I request to download the printer, then nothing happens.

Sooooo...what now?

Here's an update:

I downloaded and setup Oracle VM VirtualBox, created a virtual machine with MicroXP, downloaded the Windoze version of Firefox (since it's compatible with the Coupons.com website), managed to select coupons on Coupons.com, downloaded the coupon printer, clicked 'Print', it told me my coupons were waiting for me on my printer (which I knew was wrong), yet nothing printed. So I got out of the virtual machine, opened the HPLIP application for my HP Deskjet and retried selecting coupons and printing. Nothing. So I think I might need to get the Windoze version of the printer drivers which I will try to find online and do today. I tried running the setup CD that came with my printer, but the virtual machine wouldn't run it. In fact, it couldn't find the CD drive.
    I'll keep trying. I feel like I'm THISCLOSE to getting this to work.

Thanks for the help and let me know if you have any other suggestions or ideas.

Second update:

MicroXP doesn't have a whole list of files that are needed to print and finding them seems impossible. So I deleted that virtual machine and will try to find another version of something that may (but probably won't) work.

Third update:

I downloaded TinyXP_Rev09, created a virtual machine for it in VirtualBox, but it wouldn't run.
    Last edited by alienmindtrick; May 29th, 2011 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Update

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Update: I have downloaded MicroXP as an .iso file. How do I now set it up to run in VirtualBox?
    You can mount the iso in vitualbox either by selecting it a mounted media in the first boot setup wizard, or by closing the virtual machine and mounting the image, then restarting the machine.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyjjbrown View Post
    You can mount the iso in vitualbox either by selecting it a mounted media in the first boot setup wizard, or by closing the virtual machine and mounting the image, then restarting the machine.
    Yes. If you read further into the post, you'll find updates which indicate that I did that.

Beans
    Distro

Update 31 May: I found a complete copy of XP Pro, downloaded it, created a virtual machine with it. I downloaded IE for Windows, visited the Coupons.com site, selected coupons, downloaded the coupon printer, clicked 'Print Coupons', it seemed to send the coupons to the printer, but nothing printed.

So my question here is this: How might I go about saving that file, transferring it beyond the virtual machine to my actual Ubuntu file system, and then print it. Remember that the actual coupon is NEVER seen until it actually prints so printing from a simple screen shot is out.

Also, I thought to try to burn it to CD, but the virtual machine doesn't recognize the CD/DVD drive. Nor can I find the right Windows drivers for the printer I intend to use, which might be the core issue.

At any rate....H-E-E-E-E-L-P!

Beans
    Distro

You may be correct about not finding a hardware printer being the problem. It wouldn't print to Cute PDF in Windows so it may only work when a "real" printer is installed. I wonder if there's something in the "coupon printer" that recognizes that it's running in a virtual machine and so refuses to work. DRM is not limited to music and movies it seems.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast