Thread: Mount drives from Desktop

Beans

Mount drives from Desktop

Hi all,

I'm using Ubuntu Natty with the Unity GUI. Is there a way to mount drives (Windows partition) from the desktop? I don't want to open Nautilus merely for that. There used to be a panel applet for that…

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Mount drives from Desktop

It is disk mounter, but I am not sure if it's available for unity.

I use it a lot in my system which has 5 OSs in total, so I find it terrifically useful. I am pretty sure it will be available for natty if you use the classic desktop, but I suspect it's not there for unity, just like many other things that seem to have gone and make life much more difficult.

Beans

HELLO,
    on my install of Ubuntu 11.04 I have to go to the panel on the left (that pops out if the cursor touches it) scroll down to apps then disk utility. Your drives should show up in the left panel click on the one/s that you want, scroll down to the bottom of the page it should have a box below the format box (careful not to check that). The box below format should say mount dev check that box, do this for each drive you want to show up on your desktop then exit out of disk utility. The drives should show up on your Unity desktop it does work on mine. Of course, you go back into disk utility and uncheck the boxes which unmounts the devices. Unless you want them to be on your desktop when you reboot without going through disk utility each time. I unmount each time before shutting down but that might not be needed.

Hope this helps. let me know if it works for you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by thorstenmz View Post
    I don't want to open Nautilus merely for that.
    Really? One click to open Nautilus from the launcher and one more click to mount an internal partition. I find that extremely elegant. Not at all making life more difficult as the previous poster suggests - imho.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by thorstenmz View Post
    Hi all,

I'm using Ubuntu Natty with the Unity GUI. Is there a way to mount drives (Windows partition) from the desktop? I don't want to open Nautilus merely for that. There used to be a panel applet for that…

Open terminal and type the following. Please paste the outputs of all the commands.

Code:
    khirad@jeena:~$ cat /etc/fstab
    khirad@jeena:~$ mount
    khirad@jeena:~$ sudo fdisk -l
    Please note in your terminal khirad will be your username and jeena will be your hostname.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I can give you this link that I picked up from another thread the other day.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/mountlinux

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Why not add them to /etc/fstab? Then you don't have to click on anything to mount them, they'll be automatically mounted at boot.