Thread: hp scanjet 3970 quality

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

hp scanjet 3970 quality

I am having a problem with my 3970 scanner. The quality of the scan is poor, colors are washed out. I had this problem with lynx and it still occurs with Natty.
    Previously I just used my dual boot vista, but it no longer works. Is anyone having success with the scanner on Natty? Any idea why the picture scanned with simple scan is washed out? On Lynx I spent quite a bit of time trying Gimp with same results. I have installed gimp on natty to try it also but can't get it to work with my scanner. I've installed just about every add-on I can find including hplip.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Natty 11.04 (Ubuntu Classic) installed dual boot on HP DV6646US laptop. Nvidia 7150M, Broadcom 4321AG. - Natty 11.04, dual boot on home built desktop, 2 gb memory, AMD Athlon 3000+ Gnucash Gramps Thunderbird /Lightning Skype K3b Chromium -

Beans

Re: hp scanjet 3970 quality

I'm also having this problem and looking for a solution...did you find any more out? I'd love to not have to boot into windows for scans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: hp scanjet 3970 quality

No, I bought a new scanner. A Lexmark S405. While its software drivers are not included in Ubuntu, Lexmark does provide Linux software on their web site. Along with a few post on this board I was able to install the software. Also I use Skanlite and Pinta Image editor. I feel I can finally scan and edit without windows products. I have compared the scans between Ubuntu and Vista and they are equal. I bought the Lexmark because there was manufacturer software drivers available for Linux. I believe having manufacturer software increases the likely hood of good scans.
    Natty 11.04 (Ubuntu Classic) installed dual boot on HP DV6646US laptop. Nvidia 7150M, Broadcom 4321AG. - Natty 11.04, dual boot on home built desktop, 2 gb memory, AMD Athlon 3000+ Gnucash Gramps Thunderbird /Lightning Skype K3b Chromium -