Thread: Statistical software

Beans

Statistical software

What would be the GNU equivalent of MathCAD? My engineers are asking for MCAD, but the boss does not want to put out the dough for it. He feels that Excel would be sufficient (ha). I think this would be a great time to introduce Ubuntu to our company.

Thanks,

Norm

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Statistical software

Copy/paste from http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhl-l.../msg02664.html:
    Maxima is a version of the MIT-developed MACSYMA system, modified to run under Common LISP. It is an interactive expert system and programming environment for symbolic and numerical mathematical manipulation. Written in LISP, it allows differentiation, integration, solution of linear or polynomial equations, factoring of polynomials, expansion of functions in Laurent or Taylor series, computation of Poisson series, matrix and tensor manipulations, and two- and three-dimensional graphics.
    Procedures may be written using an ALGOL-like syntax, and both LISP-like functions and pattern matching facilities are provided. Files containing maxima objects may be read from and written to disk files. Pre-written maxima commands may be read from a file and executed, allowing batch-mode use.
    http://maxima.sourceforge.net/

Sounds to me like a Maple-equivalent... which has a bunch of free clones

Anyway, Maxima is in the universe repositories
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install maxima
    Last edited by glinsvad; May 15th, 2006 at 02:59 PM.
    Fools speak because they have to say something; wise men because they have something to say.

Beans

Thanks. I'm going to give it a try.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

You'r welcome. Also check out Scilab for more CPU-intensive numerical calculations
    Fools speak because they have to say something; wise men because they have something to say.

Beans

For statistics you want R (r-base).