Thread: Freenx update broke KDE on Kubuntu 10.04

Beans

[SOLVED] Freenx update broke KDE on Kubuntu 10.04 and 10.10 and possibly 11.04

After a recient update to the freenx libraries KDE on Kubuntu 10.04 stopped working but other desktops like gnome kept running. The problem wasn't in the normal log files, but it was found in the .xsession-errors file in the user directory on the server.

After the update NX is trying to start kde with the /usr/bin/startkde4 command which doesn't exist. Instead make a link from /usr/bin/startkde to the non existent /usr/bin/startkde4 and it will work again. To do this use the command:

Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/bin/startkde /usr/bin/startkde4
    All should be good again.
    Last edited by vsteel; May 31st, 2011 at 06:09 PM. Reason: changing title to include more distros per request

Beans

Re: Freenx update broke KDE on Kubuntu 10.04

Thanks a lot, your solution worked! This affects also Kubuntu 10.10. Maybe you could change the title to reflect that?

Beans

Really glad I could help. Not sure how many had this problem as I couldn't find any bug reports or others with errors. Just figured I would throw it up here and hope it helps people.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Your solution also works for Kubuntu 11.04.
    Samsung RF511, 6GB;

Don't PANIC!

Beans

This issue is still in 12.04 The fix above still works and corrects the problem.