Thread: Wireless disconnects and can't reconnect

Beans

Wireless disconnects and can't reconnect

Hi guys, Sorry if this is a dumb question but i'm new to linux. Finally got fed up with microsoft dictating to me.

I'm currently dual booting win7 and ubuntu studio on my hp pavilion slimline but want to ditch windows altogether. I'm willing to use a different distro if that will help but i need something that can run wine as the windows emulator will be useful.

When I log in to ubuntu, I can usually access the internet fine but always, within 5 - 10 minutes it disconnects. When this happens I cant reconnect. Sometimes, when I reboot, it will re connect but other times not.

I'm using a realtek RTL8188CUS wireless adaptor which from looking at community support pages is supported by linux but obviously with so many different distros out there i'm not sure whether it is supported by all.

When using the terminal after a disconnection it shows no packet loss.

The wireless adaptor is still active after a disconnection and still sees my network and under windows I don't have this issue

Thanks in advance

Beans

Re: Wireless disconnects and can't reconnect

I have had this same problem, both in 11.10 & 12.04. I know a reboot normally fixes it. But occasionally it is my router, so I unplug my router for about a minute, which resets it, and then plug it back in and it works again. I'm not sure if that will help at all.

Beans

Re: Wireless disconnects and can't reconnect

Thanks mate, it seems to have worked. I've had a solid connection for the last few hours and if it carries on I will be well rid of Microsoft. Didn't even think to check the obvious like resetting the router as I was expecting a technical problem