Thread: Simulating regular boot-up for installation of Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Simulating regular boot-up for installation of Windows

Hi!
    I'm curious, is there a way to -as the title says- simulate a computer boot-up, so as to install in this case Windows 7 while in the OS.

I've been reading up on VMware, and there's some... interesting stuff there, but I couldn't find anything specific on emulating a boot-up with a mounted, bootable, .iso.

If the above is at all possible, or if I didn't make it clear what it is I want exactly, here it is:

I have partitioned my HDD, an ext4 partition for my Ubuntu system, a swap space, an NTFS "stuff" disk (guess what's on it, yep, stuff) to be shared by both OSs, and one NTFS partition for Windows 7.
    I would install w7 the regular way, but the DVD-reader on my laptop is f*ed up, and I don't have a USB stick with sufficient space.

So, what I wish to do -if at all possible- is to install Windows 7 from a .iso file, while in Ubuntu, onto the separate NTFS partition.

So, is this possible?

Regards,
    Kristian

psusi is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Simulating regular boot-up for installation of Windows

If you want to install and run windows in a virtual machine, then VMware or another virtual machine like virtualbox or qemu is the way to go. I've not used vmware in years so I'm not sure of the details, but somehow you configure it to emulate a cdrom and either point it to /dev/cdrom to present your actual cdrom to the virtual machine, or you can point it to an iso file instead.

It sounds like you don't want to run it in a vm though, but actually install it to the hard drive so you can dual boot. In that case you will need to get a working dvd drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

I went to a Win7 forum to look this up for you and while they had a tutorial on installing Win7 without requiring an optical drive or USB stick, they did require Win7 installed in order to do this.

So, I don't believe it's possible to install Win7 from an ISO -- but I've not actually tried it, so I could be wrong.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by HrKristian View Post
    So, what I wish to do -if at all possible- is to install Windows 7 from a .iso file, while in Ubuntu, onto the separate NTFS partition.
    See the previous posts for the other answers, as to this, Mark Phelps has it correct. In order to install Windows 7 from an iso while booted, you would have to be inside a Windows environment, extract the iso file, then run the setup.exe program contained within the extracted directory. This wouldn't work while booted into Ubuntu unless you used a program like VirtualBox to mount the iso as the installation medium (i.e. install dvd) and install a full virtual OS.