Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Google Music Beta vs Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Google Music Beta vs Linux

Quote Originally Posted by Kilbasar View Post
    Hi All,

I can confirm that although the installer does not work in Wine, the actual Music Manager works fine (Wine 1.3). I just pulled the files from a VM, and ran them straight from the extracted directory.

So that others don't have to first install it in a VM just to extract the files, here they are.

Google Music Manager Without Installer
    md5: dd76c2d72997aeb6cad682621c9c320e

Enjoy!
    This worked incredibly well.

Thank you.
    "Regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers."
    -- Cliff Clavin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Worked perfectly, thank you.

Just wish I didn't have to do this... uber fail from google. Adobe and Google, your on notice.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Madspyman View Post
    Yeah it's kind of embarrassing, currently the only way to upload music to Music Beta in Linux is through Wine, however Google's own Chrome OS is Linux, but you can't install Wine to it, making it currently the only OS not supported, maybe not the only one, but you get my point.
    When will people realise Google doesn't care about the Linux desktop. Ubuntu should be cautious, this talk of switching to Google Chrome by Canonical is dangerous. Firefox and Mozilla are the true champions of the Linux desktop, always offering native linux versions of their applications.

Beans
    Distro

bluescreenkid:

Thanks for wrapping up the GMM solution into a super-simple script. It's got about 40 of my 2000 songs up and still chugging.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kilbasar View Post
    hi all,

i can confirm that although the installer does not work in wine, the actual music manager works fine (wine 1.3). I just pulled the files from a vm, and ran them straight from the extracted directory.

So that others don't have to first install it in a vm just to extract the files, here they are.

google music manager without installer
    md5: Dd76c2d72997aeb6cad682621c9c320e

enjoy!
    thanks dude!
    I seem to be suffering from Spontaneous Massive Existence Failure,please contact me in another plane of existence!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

You people should stop congratulating each other for figuring out how to use a windows solution (wine/vbox) and send google a note requesting support! I did today.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
    You people should stop congratulating each other for figuring out how to use a windows solution (wine/vbox) and send google a note requesting support! I did today.
    I did as well, but I don't see any harm in workarounds. Relax maybe?
    *Don't PM me directly for support, open a new thread
    *Looking for a MythTV quick start guide?

Beans
    Distro

I don't believe I was congratulating myself on anything..I was thanking another community member for providing a solution that "just works" . Google is a company that heavily relies on Linux but seems lacking in support of it.
    PS. are you really monitoring this thread to excoriate people for being forced to use a windows work around...how sad
    I seem to be suffering from Spontaneous Massive Existence Failure,please contact me in another plane of existence!

Beans

I too sent in a request for a native client for Linux. Who would have anticipated Google not including Linux on account of the Chromebooks hitting the market.
    use linux

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Did that even posted the response they sent me in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunflower1970 View Post

Google sent me this email, upon my support requests.

Thank you for your note.

We don’t currently offer a Linux version of the Music Manager, nor ogg vorbis format support.

We're constantly working to improve Music Beta, and I'll make sure to pass your request on to the rest of the team.

We appreciate your feedback.

Regards,

Bryce
    The Music Beta Team
    Wine may not be the most desirable solution but it's still open source even if some of the programs you need to run using it aren't. In most cases the programs you can run in Windows but not Linux aren't open source anyway.

The way I see it is that Linux port or not you're still gonna end up with a closed program using open source software to run it. To me Wine is nothing more than system files, and I have no problem installing some extra system files to make any program (open source or not) run.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast