Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Power Users Team

Great post! I really hope it can go somewhere. GL
    UsingTheTerminal

Smile today, cry tomorrow!
    ( Read this everyday )

Beans

I thought Ubuntu power users, were called Debian users..?
    ( o< -Computers do not have problems, they have users. ~Cope57
    / /\
    V_/_

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I think this idea is worth some consideration. I can't see the needs of newbies and power users being served equally by one environment. If Ubuntu is going after the newbies, then perhaps its up to us power users to take care of our own needs.

The only think I worry about is how sustained the commitment to this community will be. By focusing our feature requests on an outside community and not the main Ubuntu project, we run the risk of losing all our tweaks if the PUC (Power Users Community) ever falls apart and abandons the project. I think one of the community's goals should be to rally for as much of its output as possible to be eventually added into the vanilla Ubuntu feature set, and to save the really esoteric and corner-case stuff for the PPA.
    Last edited by Squonk07; May 19th, 2011 at 04:17 AM.
    Drifting back and forth between Windows and Linux--I'm in it for the technology, not the philosophy!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

If only Canonical would support it.....or maybe that destroys the whole idea of being user based.
    -Unity Lover-

Open-Source is a way of LIFE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This sounds like..."Ubuntu Add-ons".

Canonical could implement an Unity API, if it doesn't already exist, and a web site like Mozilla AMO. This site could be an extension of the Software Center, like the AMO site works in conjunction with Firefox Add-on Manager. It would be a place where developers could easily upload apps, themes and scripts to be reviewed and eventually incorporated into the ubuntu-expert-desktop ppa.

Beans
    Distro

I love the idea of a "power users" community. I happen to love Ubuntu, and Unity and think that Ubuntu is heading in the right direction. However, you can't really please both groups at the same time. But, that doesn't mean developers/power users and n00bs can't exist in the same community.

Ubuntu is still Linux, I can do with Ubuntu what I can do with any other distro. Really, all I ask for is that Ubuntu remain Linux and never start to behave like OS X

But all in all, I'm 100% on board for this! It would be very nice to have a specific place on the forums or on irc for me to go to talk with like minded people, who are "experts" and know what they are talking about when it comes to Linux and Ubuntu specifically. (and somewhere to escape newbies from time to time )

But, like it was said before we (the developers/experts/power users) I think need to take things into our own hands. Create our own tools, and start the group ourselves. Ubuntu's main focus is the mass market of end users who more than likely can't tell a mouse from a hard drive. Plus, having used a plethora of other distros (from Gentoo, to Arch to straight Debian) I've settled on the Ubuntu community mostly and would hate to see this awesome distro dumb itself down to the point of abandoning expert Linux users and developers.

--EDIT--

Wanted to add, these tools for customisation must have a command line alternative to a gui too. For example, if I want to change the autohide or transparency feature I don't want to have to dig through buttons in a control panel, I'd much rather be able to type a command (similar to the new gsettings interface in gnome 3/gnome-shell). Especially since I spend most of my time in a full screen terminal )
    Last edited by cafejunkie; May 19th, 2011 at 06:49 AM.

Beans

First of all, I really wish something like this could succeed. However...

Power users aren't Canonical's focus. And there's no reason why they have to be. Power user, by definition means more capable than most, and more able to overcome the hindrances to get their perfect environment. Though you can't expect to have all the know-how to get there... if you even can.

If changes don't go into Ubuntu, we'll end up with a lot of package changes we'll need to maintain (see the notify-osd configuration mess). We'd also want a unified section with good discoverability for both community-based development as well as acquisition of new plugins/patches.

We already talked about people having different levels they want to work on, and the separation will only create more ppas for different use cases, the pick-and-choose style will cause changes to be incompatible with each other. The decentralized way this would need to work to move forward at a good rate would cause duplication of work as well as foster poor and/or unmaintained code.

-At what point do we say 'you should try a different distro' because we aren't going that far?

-At what point do we become a different distro, or at least our own Ubuntu spin?

-At what point do we say we're with Ubuntu for the community, not the product?

-Work would be mostly meant for the stable releases, so where do pre-alpha adopter fit in, especially when the most interesting things to hack on are the moving targets?

-How long until Ubuntu would have a robust and flexible enough plugin system to meet the needs of the community itching to make their desktops their own once again?

-I don't see new compiz plugins popping up everywhere (at least anymore) what makes this different? Its newness?

Everyone would try to make this work because we want to stay with Ubuntu, and I hope that doesn't end up as a limiting factor.

I'd say that after a certain point, you realize that you're part of a niche market even within linux, or at least the Ubuntu flavor of linux -- a niche within a niche. Oh, and if you haven't already, take a look at the monthly screenshot thread in the community café. You'll see all levels of changes, from changing the wallpaper to changing the everything. There are limits to what Canonical can support, but not limits on what individuals can accomplish.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Jono Bacon
    C. Provide tools
    The ability to configure things has to happen in the source code. Tools alone don't move the launcher bar to the right, let me resize the top panel, make the urgency color orange instead of blue, etc.
    The Power User’s Guide to Unity
    Questions about Ubuntu? Ask them at askubuntu.com!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast