Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which distro to go for newbie?

Beans

Which distro to go for newbie?

Hi

I'm newbie and thinking of switching to other distro from Ubuntu.
    considering of getting Debian, Arch linux, or maybe gentoo?!
    I might also consider just staying in Ubuntu.

My concern is that I want to learn linux and computer in general
    BUT also I cant spend hours and hours sitting and trying just to make basic things to work everytime when I need to work.
    Also I would appreciate light-weighted and fast one.

Any suggestion? I'd be thankful

I actually have Arch in my mind, but worried if it'd be too difficult like gentoo..

p.s - Is 'Intel Atom N280', i686 model?

Beans

Re: Which distro to go for newbie?

Arch is a very good way to learn Linux, but it does take a lot of time to configure...

If you want to try something different but not too hard, try Fedora 15 (www.fedoraproject.org) (released today!). I'm using it right now, and its wonderful.
    Last edited by IWantFroyo; May 26th, 2011 at 10:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There all find distro. If you want a modern gnome 3 you might want to try fedora 15 just release today. Ubuntu is the easiest to install.
    Gary
    Linux since 1995, Ubuntu since 2006

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Go here and check out antiX (a Debian-based distro with great support) Then learn how and install smxi which only works with true-Debian distros -- it will make your day if used properly.

Have fun!
    Nonsense is an assertion of man's spiritual freedom in spite of all the oppressions of circumstance-- Aldous Huxley
    The real power of Linux lies in the command line

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I second Fedora 15... it's a great distro.

Also, if you want a taste of Enterprise-standard Linux, give Scientific 6.0 a go.

Beans

openSUSE (www.opensuse.org) is pretty cool. I do recommend that you try Arch. The Arch Beginners Wiki helped me a great deal. Now I use Arch on my old computers.
    Last edited by IWantFroyo; May 26th, 2011 at 10:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Use a dual/multi boot with Ubuntu and another distro of your choice. Ubuntu if you have to get work done and another one to fiddle and learn. Once you're happy that you've mastered the other one, you can throw Ubuntu out the window and replace it again with another one.

Give Slackware a try; they say that if you learn Slackware, you learn Linux. If you use other distros, you learn those distros. I think it's true as there are barely tools to configure it; everything is done from the command line.

I love Slackware, specially when it comes to (web) servers. I have never been able to get my head around Ubuntu servers and the standard Ubuntu server install is (or at least was in the days of 6.06) very limited with regards to functionality (e.g. no sshd in the standard package).
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Beans

You can always try Puppy Linux, very fast.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by eb3ha4el View Post
    Hi

I'm newbie and thinking of switching to other distro from Ubuntu.
    considering of getting Debian, Arch linux, or maybe gentoo?!
    I might also consider just staying in Ubuntu.

My concern is that I want to learn linux and computer in general
    BUT also I cant spend hours and hours sitting and trying just to make basic things to work everytime when I need to work.
    Also I would appreciate light-weighted and fast one.

Any suggestion? I'd be thankful

I actually have Arch in my mind, but worried if it'd be too difficult like gentoo..

p.s - Is 'Intel Atom N280', i686 model?

Big NO for Gentoo if you cant spend more time in front of the computer. The installation of gentoo will take roughly two or three hours and that too you have to type commands to install it! I dunno about Arch linux. I would suggest you to stay with Ubuntu!

Beans

If you decide to go with Arch, be forewarned that if you ask for help in the Arch forum without having first read the Beginner's Wiki, somebody will show up at your house and punch you in the face! It's not like this forum.

As long as you're cool with that, Arch is a fantastic system, a great way to learn about linux and not difficult at all as long as you read the available documentation!

Puppy Linux is also great, for very different reasons. While Arch throws you in the deep end (but gives you everything to need to stay afloat in the form of docs) Puppy keeps you in the shallow end but doesn't try to hide the deep end from you. It gives you a good introduction to how a linux system actually works without requiring you to make it work yourself.

If you just want to try something different, Fedora 15 is the way to go. I haven't actually used it myself, but Fedora 14 required some extra effort to get things like 3D acceleration going. Fedora 14 won't tell you that there are special drivers for your nvidia card, for instance. Not sure if this is still the case with 15.
    Not the cupcakes!
    Trust me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast