Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 79

Thread: Why the Ubuntu Forums use VBulletin

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Beans
    10

    Why the Ubuntu Forums use VBulletin

    Just wondering: Why are these forums using vBulletin? I mean seriously, this is an open source project isn't it? It's LINUX. You're using a commerical product for discussion


    Maybe phpbb would be better?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    37.8N 97.2W
    Beans
    2,191
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

    Re: V-Bulletin?

    FYI: This has been discussed previously.
    Everybody can be great because everybody can serve.
    You only need a heart of grace. A soul generated by love.

    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

    Help A Child Today

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Kingston, On
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: V-Bulletin?

    The correct word is proprietary.

    FLOSS can be commercial. Just like you can give away proprietary software. It is proprietary because you do not get the source, nor could you change itif you did.


    Not that I want to continue this here. The point has been brought up in other threads. It is just important to use the proper terminology, especially when advocating free software.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Beans
    10

    Re: V-Bulletin?

    Quote Originally Posted by azz
    The correct word is proprietary.

    FLOSS can be commercial. Just like you can give away proprietary software. It is proprietary because you do not get the source, nor could you change itif you did.


    Not that I want to continue this here. The point has been brought up in other threads. It is just important to use the proper terminology, especially when advocating free software.
    Okay then, proprietary

    The reasons in the linked thread are fairly good, but I do think you should stick with this theme. It fits well with the rest of the site, I think.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Kingston, On
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: V-Bulletin?

    Regarding licencing and vbulletin:
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=23695

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Beans
    150
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Question vBulletin == proprietary

    vBulletin is proprietary software. That is not bad per se and, don't get me wrong, it's beautiful & useful, but my question is:

    Why isn't Canonical supporting open-source software (at least in this case) ?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    EU - Belgium
    Beans
    1,625

    Re: vBulletin == proprietary

    Quote Originally Posted by vyruss
    vBulletin is proprietary software. That is not bad per se and, don't get me wrong, it's beautiful & useful, but my question is:

    Why isn't Canonical supporting open-source software (at least in this case) ?
    Ubuntuforums is not being run by canonical. It was started by ubuntu-geek using his own money.
    Linux user #249404 - September 1997
    http://nocturn.vsbnet.be - RSS

    Before executing any commands, make sure you kow what they mean, read this first!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Beans
    109
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: vBulletin == proprietary

    vBulletin is proprietary software. That is not bad per se and, don't get me wrong, it's beautiful & useful, but my question is:

    Why isn't Canonical supporting open-source software (at least in this case) ?
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturn
    Ubuntuforums is not being run by canonical. It was started by ubuntu-geek using his own money.
    In fact, it is being run on completely different servers. These are just forums to provide support for the Ubuntu community. It's a contribution by ubuntu-geek. Same with Kubuntuforums.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Kingston, On
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: vBulletin == proprietary

    It is a web service. It is not running on your computer, so however it is licenced, it does not involve the user. Like google, ebay, Launchpad or yahoo.

    Now, if you want to read something interesting, google affero-gpl. It is athe GPL with a clause to cover end-users of web services.
    I lost a "z". Anyone seen it around here?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Beans
    150
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: vBulletin == proprietary

    OK my bad

    Thanks for your answer, I had no intention to flame!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •