Thread: Trouble with chmod

Beans

Trouble with chmod

I am having a lot of trouble with chmod in ubuntu 11.04 natty narwhale x64. When I try running shell scripts the same way that other people have online I get much different results: usually the scripts will not run. For instance I often see chmod +x <script>.sh then sudo sh ./<script>.sh and when I read threads on how to use a program everyone else seems to say that the command worked fine. However, every time I run sudo sh ./<script>.sh I get the error: command not found. I can get some scripts to work by doing chmod 777 <script>.sh and then sh ./<script.sh>. but sometimes it will say permission denied and give no further output. Other times it will give an error that points to a different file or files and say that those files returned a permission denied command. So then I go chmod 777 those files and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Right now I am trying to run a program called vlinac. This is some output from the command line of trying to install it:

tony@Tiamat:/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac$ sh ./startIoc.sh
    exec: 48: /media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/linux-x86_64/vlinac: Permission denied
    ./startIoc.sh: 45: /media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/linux-x86_64/caRepeater: Permission denied
    tony@Tiamat:/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac$ chmod -c 777 ./bin/linux-x86_64/vlinac
    mode of `./bin/linux-x86_64/vlinac' changed to 0777 (rwxrwxrwx)
    tony@Tiamat:/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac$ chmod -c 777 ./bin/linux-x86_64/caRepeater
    mode of `./bin/linux-x86_64/caRepeater' changed to 0777 (rwxrwxrwx)
    tony@Tiamat:/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac$ sh ./startIoc.shexec: 48: /media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/linux-x86_64/vlinac: Permission denied
    ./startIoc.sh: 45: /media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/linux-x86_64/caRepeater: Permission denied
    tony@Tiamat:/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac$ sudo sh ./startIoc.sh
    [sudo] password for tony:
    exec: 48: /media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/linux-x86_64/vlinac: Permission denied
    tony@Tiamat:/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac$ chmod 777 startIoc.sh
    tony@Tiamat:/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac$ sh ./startIoc.sh

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Trouble with chmod

try

Code:
    chmod -vR 755 /media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/*

Beans

Still didn't work. here's what I got:

tony@Tiamat:/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac$ chmod -vR 755 /media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/*
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/darwin-ppc' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/darwin-ppc/alh' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/darwin-ppc/alh_printer' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/darwin-ppc/caRepeater' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/darwin-ppc/medm' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/darwin-ppc/msi' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/darwin-ppc/probe' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/darwin-ppc/StripTool' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/darwin-ppc/vlinac' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/darwin-x86' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/darwin-x86/alh' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/darwin-x86/alh_printer' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/darwin-x86/caRepeater' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/darwin-x86/medm' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/darwin-x86/msi' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/darwin-x86/probe' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/darwin-x86/StripTool' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/darwin-x86/vlinac' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/linux-x86' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/linux-x86/alh' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/linux-x86/alh_printer' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/linux-x86/caRepeater' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/linux-x86/medm' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/linux-x86/msi' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/linux-x86/probe' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/linux-x86/StripTool' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/linux-x86/vlinac' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/linux-x86_64' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/linux-x86_64/alh' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/linux-x86_64/alh_printer' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/linux-x86_64/caRepeater' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/linux-x86_64/medm' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/linux-x86_64/msi' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/linux-x86_64/probe' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/linux-x86_64/StripTool' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/linux-x86_64/vlinac' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/solaris-sparc' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/solaris-sparc/alh' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/solaris-sparc/alh_printer' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/solaris-sparc/caRepeater' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/solaris-sparc/medm' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/solaris-sparc/msi' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/solaris-sparc/probe' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/solaris-sparc/StripTool' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/solaris-sparc/vlinac' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/solaris-x86' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/solaris-x86/alh' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/solaris-x86/alh_printer' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/solaris-x86/caRepeater' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/solaris-x86/medm' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/solaris-x86/msi' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/solaris-x86/probe' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/solaris-x86/StripTool' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    mode of `/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/solaris-x86/vlinac' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    tony@Tiamat:/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac$ ls
    alh lib startIoc.bat startStripTool.bat
    bin Makefile startIoc.command startStripTool.command
    configure medm startIoc.sh startStripTool.sh
    CVS README startMedm.bat st.cmd
    db README.txt startMedm.command StripTool
    dbd README.Win32.txt startMedm.sh vlinacApp
    documentation startAlh.bat startProbe.bat
    graphics startAlh.command startProbe.command
    installApp startAlh.sh startProbe.sh
    tony@Tiamat:/media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac$ sudo sh startIoc.sh
    [sudo] password for tony:
    startIoc.sh: 45: /media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac/bin/linux-x86_64/caRepeater: Permission denied

In the block where permissions are being changed it shows these two, but when I call them I still get permission denied. Also the readme specifically says to run the startIoc.sh file. It mentions line 45 for vlinac and line 48 for carepeater. It may be that these lines point to other files that are giving the permission denied errors. However I cannot open the files to see where they point.
    Last edited by tonezone; May 26th, 2011 at 06:13 PM. Reason: ac

Beans
    Distro

Can you move that directory to your home folder and try ? Hope there is enough space.

Code:
    cp -vrf /media/DataStorage/downloads/vlinac ~/
    cd ~/vlinac
    chmod 755 startIoc.sh
    sudo ./startIoc.sh

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Either your media is mounted with noexec option or simply the files that vlinac calls are not executable. If it is the first case, moving the files to your home folder will work (unless of course your system mounts /home as a separate partition with noexec option). If it is the second, moving the files to your home folder will not work.

Please post the output of the `mount' command (open a terminal window and type it). Only the line that references /media/DataStorage is needed here, you can omit the others.
    To suppress free speech is a double wrong. It violates the rights of the hearer as well as those of the speaker.
    Free Software - Free Society | The GNU Project | FSF | ESP

Beans
    Distro

Yes,

Code:
    cat /etc/fstab
    sudo blkid

Beans

There is another possible explantion for this phenomenon. /media/DataStorage is an NTFS or Fat32 partition.

Doing a chmod -vR will happily tell you that it's changing permissions but of course it's not because it can't.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius1 View Post
    There is another possible explantion for this phenomenon. /media/DataStorage is an NTFS or Fat32 partition.

Doing a chmod -vR will happily tell you that it's changing permissions but of course it's not because it can't.
    Well that explains it. I had formatted DataStorage as NTFS. My root directory is a 120GB solid state drive, and Data storage is a 2 TB normal hard drive. That's why I was storing everything on DataStorage. Anyway I backed up all the files on DataStorage and converted it into ext4. I ran the script again, but was stopped because it was missing a dependency which I was also unable to install before. Anyway I have to wait until the problems installing the dependancy are fixed before this program will work, but it looks like chmod is working fine now. Thanks for all the help.