Thread: How do I access files on Windows 7 from Ubunto on the same computer?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question How do I access files on Windows 7 from Ubunto on the same computer?

I just installed Ubunto on my netbook yesterday. My computer came with windows 7, so I installed Ubunto along side it, and I want to keep both operating systems on my computer. My wife uses windows 7, and I am going to use Ubunto. However, I have a ton of pictures, videos, and other media and files on my computer in windows. However, I can't access them from Ubunto. I really need some help so that I can access all of my files on Windows, when I am using Ubunto. If anyone knows, I would sure appreciate some step by step instructions on how to do it. I am a complete beginner.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How do I access files on Windows 7 from Ubunto on the same computer?

Which version of Ubuntu are you using?

Anyways, if you open up file explorer "Nautilus" then in the left hand pane you would see your hard disk's partitions. Just click the one that has your files and you should be able to access them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I used Wubi for my dual boot install. You can click on Places, go to computer, file system, then the host folder, users, your user name and you should have all your files available to you. At least that is the way mine is set up!
    Athenroy,
    Classic Desktop User - Screenshot
    Linux Registered User #534875

Beans

Is there a way to bookmark or make a short cut of these folders.... I know how to get to them- but I have to do a lot of clicks to get to my favorite folders

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Momof9Blessings View Post
    Is there a way to bookmark or make a short cut of these folders.... I know how to get to them- but I have to do a lot of clicks to get to my favorite folders
    Open the folder in Nautilus(assuming you use Nautilus) and press CTRL+D (Bookmarks -> Add Bookmark)

Beans

With a dual boot build I decided to use a 80GB Solid State for Windows 7 and Ubuntu 11.10.

Leaving the OSs where they were I had a seperate 1 TB spinning disk drive mounted separately. Windows and Ubuntu both recognized the other hard drive and I have just stored all data/music/movies/documents etc... and have not had a problem going back and forth between the operating system and sharing files between them.

Seems to be the easiest way with the assumption that you are using a desktop. May be a bit tougher with a laptop.