Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11.04 didn't work - Will I have any better luck with 10.10?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question 11.04 didn't work - Will I have any better luck with 10.10?

After multiple attempts at installing 11.04 on my laptop using Wubi I gave up.

My laptop is a Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q882: i5 450m processor, 4GB RAM, GeForce GTS 360M with 1GB vRAM + 1.25 GB shared vRAM, 500GB 7200RPM HDD - I've got power coming out of my ears on the thing!

Every time I installed Ubuntu I got an error in the text output after the initial reboot: "failed to get i915 symbols, graphics turbo disabled error on boot". And the screen would only show blocks of messed up colors, obviously indicating there was a display problem. I had to force a shutdown when this happened.

I would then reboot into Ubuntu's Safe Graphics mode. The installation would continue and then automatically reboot again. However after that I was presented with five boot options, the first two having Linux and a version number, several were recovery options and the last one was a Windows recovery option.

I selected the first option and came to a text login (command prompt - not sure what the Linux term is for that). Being COMPLETELY and TOTALLY new to Ubuntu (or even Linux, for that matter), I didn't have a clue what to do there so I just rebooted into Windows.

So then I did the Googling thing. I searched for the error message I mentioned above and tried one fix that seemed to work for people. It involved entering these two lines: "echo "blacklist intel_ips" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf" and "echo -e "i915/nintel_ips" >> /etc/modules". I tried it, but got a permission denied message. I tried prepending them with "sudo" (like I said: total noob), but that didn't work either.

So I gave up on 11.04 and came to these forums. I noticed a lot of people also having graphics issues (and others) with 11.04 and many replies saying 10.10 works great for them. So I downloaded 10.10. Having gone through all of that I'm not going to continue to fight too much harder to get Ubuntu to run on my laptop, but I'm going to give 10.10 a try.

My questions:
    With 10.10 can I get the Ubuntu/Windows boot option like I did with 11.04? It goes without saying I want to be able to revert back to Windows if I'm unsuccessful with 10.10.

Also, will some sort of fix ever come out for this issue? In my searching for the error, I saw forum posts with the error dating back to Ubuntu 9! What's the likelihood the issue will ever be resolved?

10.04 being a LTS, should I install that instead?

Thanks for anyone's help! I'd really like to give Ubuntu a fair shake, but with these problems hampering my efforts, I'm only willing to go so far...
    f u cn rd ths u cn gt a gd jb n prgrmmng

Beans

Re: 11.04 didn't work - Will I have any better luck with 10.10?

If you're having so much trouble using the wubi installation why don't you just install ubuntu next to windows.

Just make some free space available and go for it.

Advatages:

- It's faster (doesn't always has to access windows)
    - more stable
    - you can ensure that it's running fine

PLUS

- no weird errors

And you would still have your loved windows OS

Hope this helped
    “No great discovery was ever made without a bold guess”

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi, er - um - "3xp10r3r|X13"

Thanks for the quick reply. How exactly would I go about doing that? (Installing Ubuntu next to Windows?

Do you mean creating a separate partition on the drive and installing Ubuntu on that?

If so, can you suggest a good (preferably free) partitioning software product?

Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Agree with the previous poster. Wubi is iffy on some boxes and it was never made for a long term solution. If you want to try Linux then use a dual boot by installing it beside your Windows.
    See these for information on dual booting.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot
    https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/switching/C/dualboot.html
    Rex
    Last edited by Rex Bouwense; May 18th, 2011 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Additional information

Beans

It's actually very simple,
    just make some free space available using windows:

start --> control panel --> search for partitions --> once you arrived in that menu you can make the existing partition smaller (which means that you are creating free space)

Then just insert your ubuntu live cd (download iso from website and burn it onto a dvd)

Boot from that dvd and install ubuntu next to windows (theres an option during the installation process or you just partition it manually --> you could watch some videos on that-youtube)

After you've installed the whole thing you have to reboot and from that point on you can choose which OS you want to access.

That should do it

PS: Just follow the links in the previous post
    “No great discovery was ever made without a bold guess”

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for the tips, guys!

I'm hoping installing "next" to Windows will prove to be successful, as I am very anxious to learn Ubuntu and Linux.

Beans

Be aware you may still run into problems with the video. I believe the trick is in getting the driver installed. If you do get problems, try i915modeset=1 or i915modeset=0 in your boot. You would edit this at the menu you are presented with for boot. Once you get to a GUI screen and have internet access (either hard-wired or wireless) you would:

sudo apt-get update

Then go to system/administration/additional drivers (might say restricted drivers?) and let it do it's thing there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks, wep

I'll keep that in mind.

Beans

It might actually be i915.nomodeset. Also, you could just try nomodeset, as I know that works on some.

This is my understanding, but it could be wrong:

With 10.04 came a change in that the kernel now looks for your video and tries to set it up. I *think* this might be why xorg.conf disapeared at the same time. This is known as KMS (I think that means kernel mode setting). If you have trouble with video - perhaps only a text base screen, perhaps a GUI screen that is distorted or even unreadable, this could be causing the problem. Using "nomodeset" on the boot line tells ubuntu not to use KMS. The result may be a readable screen but at a lower resolution, etc., at which point you should install a driver for it, if you can find one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by wep940 View Post
    It might actually be i915.nomodeset. Also, you could just try nomodeset, as I know that works on some.

This is my understanding, but it could be wrong:

With 10.04 came a change in that the kernel now looks for your video and tries to set it up. I *think* this might be why xorg.conf disapeared at the same time. This is known as KMS (I think that means kernel mode setting). If you have trouble with video - perhaps only a text base screen, perhaps a GUI screen that is distorted or even unreadable, this could be causing the problem. Using "nomodeset" on the boot line tells ubuntu not to use KMS. The result may be a readable screen but at a lower resolution, etc., at which point you should install a driver for it, if you can find one.
    Thanks for the info on the video part of my issue.

Even after I get Ubuntu installed I think I may still have to deal with the video part of it. I say that because I'm in the process of repartitioning my (only) laptop's drive in preparation for dual-booting and general drive re-organization. The software I chose to use initially is GParted and when I booted from the disk it created I saw what were obviously Unix/Linux commands scrolling on the screen and then I saw the same video problem I described in my OP - blocks of colors all over the screen.

I can certainly use a different partitioning software, but that experience tells me I will still have to deal with the video problem after I get Ubuntu installed on the new partition. In fact, I'll go so far as to say getting Ubuntu installed is a side issue and not really the main problem, despite the generous help and suggestions people have offered in this thread regarding how to install Ubuntu.

One thing I'm wondering: If I can't install 11.04 using the gui, how can I install it at the command line? Note in my OP, when using Wubi the Windows side of the install was fine, but when it rebooted and went to the Ubuntu installer with the gui welcome screen and all, that's when I ran into issues.

Should I maybe consider going this route? Maybe then I can deal with the video issue at install time instead of after the fact. What's the difficulty level with installing Ubuntu from the command line? (Remember I'm a Linux idiot still!)
    Last edited by markyork; May 19th, 2011 at 01:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast