Thread: 11.04 Grub2 no disks found HP Compaq dc5850 AHCI RAID

Beans

Angry 11.04 Grub2 no disks found HP Compaq dc5850 AHCI RAID

Hi,

The harddisk in my work PC died last week so I have replaced it with 2 new ones and am attempting to do a RAID1 mirror configuration and installation of Ubuntu 11.04 desktop.

Now the PC I use is an HP Compaq dc5850 which has fakeRAID so I configured this in the BIOS and attempted the install.

The normal Ubuntu install CD fails because it tries to install the bootloader to /dev/sda whereas it should probably be going to /dev/dm-0 (or /dev/mapper/pdc_<something> which is a symlink to /dev/dm-0). So in this case I installed Grub by hand.

The alternate CD install doesn't have this problem and seems to install succesfully.

After rebooting I get the dreaded "grub rescue>" prompt and a "no disks found" message. The "ls" command just returns a few blank lines.

A software RAID install works fine (using "native IDE" mode in the BIOS instead of "AHCI RAID"). I followed the recommendation in the HOWTO for software RAID and tested my configuration by removing the cables to my first drive. After reboot the machine came up, great! But then I powered off, reconnected the first drive, started up again and there's no disk activity, just a purple-brown Ubuntu screen.

Oh: I got a warning that I was using the DARK BLUE and LIGHT BLUE connectors whereas I should be using the DARK BLUE and WHITE connectors.

SO: I recabled and reinstalled using fakeRAID. Still getting "grub rescue" and "no disks found".

At this point I've lost 2 days work and I think I'll reinstall a softwareRAID and, untested, start using the machine.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Colin

PS bootinfo attached... the /dev/sda stuff wories me. Is this a left over from my previous install?? I had it the first time too, probably from the installer's attempt to put the bootloader on /dev/sda instead of on the DM device.
    Attached Files Attached Files