Thread: Unity?

Beans

Unity?

Hi,

Does anyone else find Unity near impossible to use with a mouse?

I mean.. the menu disappears when you expand a window and seems to take an age to reappear when you push the mouse to the edge of the screen. Non-mouse issue.. when you click an application you have to look pretty closely to see if it is loading.. for some reason opening the file window seems slow..

Since installing yesterday I have found myself using far more concentration than usual to try to avoid the Unity menu all together and instead rely on the keyboard to get anything done... relying completely on the windows key to start applications and alt+tab to jump around them.. it just doesn't seem right..

Is anyone else finding this?

Also.. what does Alt F2 do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Unity?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGiant View Post
    Hi,

Does anyone else find Unity near impossible to use with a mouse?

I mean.. the menu disappears when you expand a window and seems to take an age to reappear when you push the mouse to the edge of the screen. Non-mouse issue.. when you click an application you have to look pretty closely to see if it is loading.. for some reason opening the file window seems slow..

Since installing yesterday I have found myself using far more concentration than usual to try to avoid the Unity menu all together and instead rely on the keyboard to get anything done... relying completely on the windows key to start applications and alt+tab to jump around them.. it just doesn't seem right..

Is anyone else finding this?

Also.. what does Alt F2 do?

Put your mouse in the upper left corner to make the Unity bar appear.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You can also hold down the Super ("Windows") key to show the menu.

What comes to easily seeing if the app is lauching, I prefer setting the backlight mode to "Backlight Toggles", so non-active apps have no backlight. Makes the difference between running and inactive apps more clear, and the blinking animation more more visible. You can configure theis with the CompizConfig Settings Manager, under the Ubnity-plugin's settings.

Alt-F2 opens the "Run Command"-dialog, where you can execute shell commands and launch applications that aren't in the menu. Pretty much the same functionality you get with the same shortcut in the old Gnome desktop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@Davegiant,

I merged your other thread with the unity mega thread.

Please dont start duplicates.

Closed.
    Last edited by philinux; May 23rd, 2011 at 02:51 PM.